What you've done today - One Life to Live

Amentep

12 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

What movie is that from?

"Youth Suicide Fantasy" some "investigative" movie by a Christian group in the US on the evils of rock music, I believe.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Trying valiantly to care about any of the tasks I've been assigned today.  Not really working. Of course my teammates who add no value other than "You fixed it, yet?" are a great assistance.

Sadly you can't use .gifs as avatar's in Teams.  I'd use :

giphy.gif

I thought I remembered you being in IT, but now I know you are.

• Haha 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

This state just announced the strictest coronavirus lockdown in the country

is a serious loophole in the travel restrictions. one o' our neighbors had reservations for the weekend at a place in santa cruz, and santa cruz county is not current facing a travel restriction. so the neighbors asked us to look after their dog for a few days... asked us for the favor this AM.

so, our neighbors, who live in a travel restricted county, may go to santa cruz and enjoy a spa day and a couple nights at an oceanside inn. neighbors should not travel as a mini-vacation is hardly an essential activity, but the santa cruz county hotel will honor their reservation.

*sigh*

shoulda declined as we got a new dog and one o' the established pack members recent had surgery to remove a' granuloma tumor-- learned yesterday after a week-long wait that the tumor is benign. as such am having our hands relative full with dog issues beyond the typical chaos o' casa de Gromnir. am also objecting to the neighbors flouting covid-19 protocols. 

oh, and is raining... hard. one o' our dogs has become increasing spooked by loud noises including thunder and even the howling winds which accompany heavy rain. 

will be an interesting few days.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I helped my daughter finish the Christmasification of her room this weekend. Over Thanksgiving we had painted it and she put up LED lights, then Saturday we put shelves up, and now the we have the train running. I treated myself to a laser level to get those shelves done, and it came out pretty well. Here is a video of it, hope it works: https://imgur.com/a/iUmK4EX

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

I helped my daughter finish the Christmasification of her room this weekend. Over Thanksgiving we had painted it and she put up LED lights, then Saturday we put shelves up, and now the we have the train running. I treated myself to a laser level to get those shelves done, and it came out pretty well. Here is a video of it, hope it works: https://imgur.com/a/iUmK4EX

is it wrong we hoped that when the train reached the end of the tracks it would explode in a shower of red and green pyrotechnics? possible pipe in screams o' those imaginary passengers caught in the multi-hued conflagration?

might lose some o' the good dad points you had earned with the decorating if you take our suggestion and implement. probable best to follow your own judgement in this matter. though am thinking tim burton would agree with us.

regardless, am applauding you for doing the christmas thing right. good on you.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

@Gromnirmentioned rain a few posts ago (hope the dog is ok!)...

Had a bit of rain in SE Queensland too this weekend. Accompanied by wind speeds of cyclone strength, despite there being no cyclone. Up to 450mm rain overnight here (that's 17.7" for those of you across The Pacific). Things are a bit soggy and humid today 🌧️

Parts of inner QLD got 700mm (27.5") of rain.

The silver lining however.... it helped getting the bush fires on the neighboring Fraser Island contained (after weeks of being out of control) 👍

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/batten-down-the-hatches-cyclonic-storms-to-batter-the-south-east-20201213-p56n1j.html

• Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Hubby's sister's husband had a massive stroke apparently (he had a heart attack over a decade ago, as well).  He's back home but needs a lot of care and she's trying to figure out how they'll live on mostly disability - we're not sure if it's semi-temporary or if he'll never be able to go back to work again etc.  They're both in early 60's.  So ... yeah. Another reminder of all our encroaching mortality and to always appreciate what you have when you have it.  I wish we all still lived nearby, like way back.  We'll have to figure out a time to go visit.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Sad 6
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Think we're going to have a virtual Christmas party this year.   Hopefully during office hours, no way am I going to skip out on WoW and Cyberpunk in the evening for a Christmas Teams call :lol:

Hm, maybe the company will spring for Uber Eats or something...

• Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nobody seems to have built a giant marshmallow man with a sailor hat yet... 😝

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

My upstairs neighbor, who is a bit of a weirdo, has been, well, for the lack of a better word, moaning for like twenty minutes now and there's a plopping noise every now and then.

But I don't mean in the fun way. It sounds like she's howling at the moon and rearranging the furniture. Unless she's trying to breed dogs up there and they're really going wild it's... something else.

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 2
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Heh, my travel insurance coverage runs out in a few days, and I keep getting the email reminders asking me not to forget to renew...

I'm kind of thinking I'll let it lapse for the moment..

• Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I have eaten four entire grapefruits within the last 24 hours. I did this to scientifically test what exactly are the limits of human flesh (specifically the lips and tongue/general mouth area) under a constant deluge of citrus (not great, by the way...not great), and definitely not because I forgot I bought like 8 of them like two weeks ago and want to make sure I eat all of them before they go bad.

(e): extra "forgot"

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

57 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I have eaten four entire grapefruits within the last 24 hours. I did this to scientifically test what exactly are the limits of human flesh (specifically the lips and tongue/general mouth area) under a constant barrage of citrus (not great, by the way...not great), and definitely not because I forgot I bought like 8 of them like two weeks ago and forgot about them and want to make sure I eat all of them before they go bad.

making us thirsty for a fresca.

confession: we enjoy fresca. however, am specific referencing the fresca coca-cola makes for mexico.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Don't think I've ever had any kind of Fresca (and honestly, the name only sounds vaguely familiar to me)...but I only drink like one soda a year, so that makes sense, :p.

I could never get into Fresca. 

But I do like buying those large tubs of deli-section pink grapefruit slices at the store (no added sugar/syrup versions) and when it's empty I drink the juice. "Too much" citrus mostly bothers my teeth and not the flesh.  I have sensitive thin enameled teeth.  Edit: well, and my stomach. Acid. But sometimes I ignore that. 😄

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

at least one a month during the summer (which in sacramento lasts from early may until late september) we make chicken, avocado and grapefruit wraps which is tasty and refreshing even if they sound bizarre. 

otherwise, we don't have much use for grapefruit save for when we get ahold o' the rare bottle o' mexican fresca.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 11:25 PM, Bartimaeus said:

I have eaten four entire grapefruits within the last 24 hours. I did this to scientifically test what exactly are the limits of human flesh (specifically the lips and tongue/general mouth area) under a constant deluge of citrus (not great, by the way...not great), and definitely not because I forgot I bought like 8 of them like two weeks ago and want to make sure I eat all of them before they go bad.

(e): extra "forgot"

I love grapefruit.

Grapefruit interacts with my medicines, so I'm not allowed to consume them anymore 😭

• Sad 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I could never get into Fresca. 

But I do like buying those large tubs of deli-section pink grapefruit slices at the store (no added sugar/syrup versions) and when it's empty I drink the juice. "Too much" citrus mostly bothers my teeth and not the flesh.  I have sensitive thin enameled teeth.  Edit: well, and my stomach. Acid. But sometimes I ignore that. 😄

I used to think I got acid reflux, but I actually have the opposite - base reflux. I don't think it's actually called that, but basically my stomach doesn't always produce enough acids on its own, so eating stuff like grapefruit actually helps prevent me from getting acid reflux. This is thankfully a much better situation than the opposite, I find, since it just means that I have to keep eating things I like anyways. I'm also usually not bothered by citrus in regards to lips/mouth, having grown up eating limes and lemons on everything (as well as just by themselves)...buuut four full-sized grapefruits in 24 hours was pushing it for me, :p.

@Azdeus Brutal, :(.

301949.jpg

Hand down my favourite beverage.

My friends were convinced that I only drank it so I wouldn't have to share with them 🤣

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

About 6 weeks ago I started Instacarting, which basically pays me to go grocery shopping for other people. It has turned into a pretty awesome side hustle. My current schedule goes something like this:

I wake up around 5-5:30, shower and eat my breakfast shake. The first batches of the day seem to come in around 6:00 AM, and they are far and away the best. They are all at a somewhat fancy local grocery chain called Nob Hill, and they range between $30-60. Usually these are double batches, meaning I'm shopping for 2 people at the same time and then delivering. Because it is so early, the store is nice and empty, and I can fly around easily getting everything. It usually takes about 60 minutes to shop and maybe another 30 to checkout and deliver. 

So I typically get back home by 8 AM at the latest, and my first class starts at 9:00 AM. I get my kids moving and on their computers, and then I get my stuff ready.

My teaching day is done at 2:30 PM. I get my daughter off to dance class around 3-3:30, and pick up an afternoon batch if something looks good. These don't pay as well, but I can usually get another $20-30 in an hour or two. Then I head home for dinner and my shopping day is done.

I've been doing this most days now. On the weekend I can shop all morning, but I usually stop around 11 for lunch and then enjoy my afternoon. I've done something around 80 batches so far, and I've been given 43 reviews, and they are all 5 stars. So yeah, it's pretty fun. I imagine this job will only last until I have to start driving to work again, but it is helping pay some bills, and it's pretty entertaining.

*Update Firefox browser for 1st time in a long while* ...  I notice this:

disablefirefoxupdates1.jpg

...where'd the "never update" option go? Oh well, whatever, pick the 2nd option.
...week or so later:  Open browser, or sometimes just reloading a page - a popup window: "There's an update! do you want to install?" Argh, it's like the cellphone, go away.
...*google*

*grumpy old woman voice* Screw you, obnoxious nanny pestering program features.

disablefirefoxupdates2.jpg

Edit:  ... and for some reason, after doing that, Firefox seems to be running a lot better all of a sudden. Faster.

Edited by LadyCrimson