What you've done today - One Life to Live

Amentep

He's only about one and a half so this isn't really a pressing issue 

The main difference, I think, is that my wife sees Santa, decorations, and gifts as central to X-mas when I think it's all about family and giving. Neither of us are religious.

Free games updated 3/4/21

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

I'm 193cms tall according to the police, or 6 Feet, 3.9843inches. :p I might be off, I don't have my ID nearby to check, and I'm not particularly keen on getting out of bed to fetch it 😅I'll be honest, generally speaking when I walk about town, I don't really feel tall, there are plenty of people my height. I'm tiny compared to how tall my grandpop was though.

My mother is on the short side though, so I guess I got a bit used to a "wide" span of heights. It's funny though, if you were to line up the males on my fathers side I would be exactly average height. 😄

So if I ever want to move to a place where I could walk under most everyone's outstretched arms, move to where you are. Got it.   👍
My mother was on the shorter/average female height as well.  She liked that I was shorter than her.  Pfft.

For a laugh/since I'm bored:  I was 12ish here (and what is that outfit, ugh), I have hardly grown at all, my shoes gave me a couple inches and bro is walk-slouching

heightdifferences1.jpg

Hubby's a bit shorter being "only" close to 6' 1". I can still walk under his arm tho. 😛

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

40 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

So if I ever want to move to a place where I could walk under most everyone's outstretched arms, move to where you are. Got it.   👍
My mother was on the shorter/average female height as well.  She liked that I was shorter than her.  Pfft.

For a laugh/since I'm bored:  I was 12ish here (and what is that outfit, ugh), I have hardly grown at all, my shoes gave me a couple inches and bro is walk-slouching

Hubby's a bit shorter being "only" close to 6' 1". I can still walk under his arm tho. 😛

Hahaha! Yeah, not worth the climate change I think 😜

My mother was furious that I outgrew her when I was like ten or eleven or something like that! 😂

Your brother and I have similar build :)

Dammit, I can't find a single image of me standing straight up anywhere. I did find an image of a lead lightning when I was toying with pops cam though! (Quality is ****, I know, I had/have no idea what I was doing, the camera was just resting on a windowsill because I had no tripod)

391475135_Lightningleader(2).thumb.jpg.dfb829f86ddbfa2d463f120ebae1b24e.jpg

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I've turned the whole Santa question with my kids into a bit of a childhood threshold they should not be in a rush to cross. I'm not going to say you should believe in Santa Clause, but Mom and Dad don't get any neat Santa presents because we are too old, so maybe don't try to grow up to fast? Enjoy the magic of Christmas. I'm sure they both know by now, but they WANT to believe, and so do I.  

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

He's only about one and a half so this isn't really a pressing issue 

The main difference, I think, is that my wife sees Santa, decorations, and gifts as central to X-mas when I think it's all about family and giving. Neither of us are religious.

as a child we knew there were no santa. however, we were not told santa's non-existence were a state secret to be kept from all children under the age of ____.  the santa subject did come up once when we were attending school in first grade. off reservation. so, back in the early 70s, a native kid (Gromnir) accidental ruined christmas for a dozen or so white kids in south dakota. caused a bit o' a p00p storm for our grandparents who were raising us... and we got a talking to from school vice principal and a couple teachers. 

'course we also told or sister that she were adopted... which wasn't true. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

as a child we knew there were no santa. however, we were not told santa's non-existence were a state secret to be kept from all children under the age of ____.  the santa subject did come up once when we were attending school in first grade. off reservation. so, back in the early 70s, a native kid (Gromnir) accidental ruined christmas for a dozen or so white kids in south dakota. caused a bit o' a p00p storm for our grandparents who were raising us... and we got a talking to from school vice principal and a couple teachers.

I had a very similar situation in 1st grade. Ruined Santa for a whole lot of other kids. Whoops.

My nieces have, to my knowledge, never really mentioned Santa to any meaningful degree for the year and a half or so I've had them, so I can only assume that it wasn't really something they were told about in their former lives...and I think that's probably okay.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

@Azdeus That's a nice lightning streak.  We get those here so rarely and the couple times I've seen them I wasn't able to really capture anything.

Re: Santa - I just didn't believe in any of that stuff for long, it wasn't logical/sensible. I was a very early/avid reader so maybe that was part of it (separation of fantasy vs. reality). In fact in my small circle, most of the kids I knew were protecting their parents by not telling them they already realized Santa wasn't real.  :lol:  But yeah...if kids want to believe for a while, why not. 

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

46 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

@Azdeus That's a nice lightning streak.  We get those here so rarely and the couple times I've seen them I wasn't able to really capture anything.

Re: Santa - I just didn't believe in any of that stuff for long, it wasn't logical/sensible. I was a very early/avid reader so maybe that was part of it (separation of fantasy vs. reality). In fact in my small circle, most of the kids I knew were protecting their parents by not telling them they already realized Santa wasn't real.  :lol:  But yeah...if kids want to believe for a while, why not. 

When I started questioning Santa's existence my dad told us " its okay if you dont believe in Santa....but dont be upset if he doesnt bring you  presents anymore " 

I carried on believing in Santa till I was at least 14-15 :-

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

All this talk re: Cyberpunk has me sort of itching to try it right now.  If only because it ought to look really good on the 55" TV even if it's only 40-50fps! But it's not out for over a day and a half, yet and I have no need to pre-purchase/pre-load it.  I wonder if I'll still feel this way on the day.

Side note:  while testing a controller I loaded Outer Worlds onto the 27" 1440 monitor (too lazy to make tv "main monitor" for a test like that).  Loaded up a save and ... it was sooooo small!  Guess I haven't played a game on the monitor in a long time. It used to be normal.  Now it's like I was looking through the wrong end of a telescope.  Pretty soon even 55" won't feel big and immersive enough.  I feel like I'm perhaps traveling down a dark path of ocular destruction.....

• Haha 1

So was talking with my line manager, that reminder that both of us were hired for a 2 year fixed contract for a specific project within the company, and that technically our contracts end in March. While other people on the project have now pushed back key steps until April and points later.

So there's been that "Uh, guys, risk assessment?  The data team won't be here at that date because ..contracts ending."   The senior people are all rushing around with that "Oh no! We need you! We'll do something about it!!"

But don't hear anything official. So eh, I now get to enjoy that mix of Christmas and New Years both a> Crushing overwork as they try to cram in vital project work into the time table and b> Give some thought to starting that job search....

• Sad 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

4 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

All this talk re: Cyberpunk has me sort of itching to try it right now.  If only because it ought to look really good on the 55" TV even if it's only 40-50fps! But it's not out for over a day and a half, yet and I have no need to pre-purchase/pre-load it.  I wonder if I'll still feel this way on the day.

Side note:  while testing a controller I loaded Outer Worlds onto the 27" 1440 monitor (too lazy to make tv "main monitor" for a test like that).  Loaded up a save and ... it was sooooo small!  Guess I haven't played a game on the monitor in a long time. It used to be normal.  Now it's like I was looking through the wrong end of a telescope.  Pretty soon even 55" won't feel big and immersive enough.  I feel like I'm perhaps traveling down a dark path of ocular destruction.....

I have a feeling that if you were to get a VR headset you would go "Nope, the viewports are to small, need atleast an extra inch" 😁

6 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Thank you! It was the one time in the past decade that a supercell actually went over us, I was excited as all hell, asked to borrow my dads camera and sat around from 00:34 to 01:59 and took a bunch of pictures. This annoyed the living **** out of my father, he's a bit... special, and he keeps an excel spreadsheet for ALL of his pictures detailing all the settings like aperture, focal and so on, and what the image shows. So he wanted me to sit and detail everything for him and write it down, so I said "Ok, I'll just delete the images of just dark skies."

He flipped and went on ranting about how the camera will not recognize that the number series has changed and all the images from there on will not have the correct numbering, ie it'll be dsc_7472 and not at dsc_7450 where the last image was 7449.

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I figured out that Baby Jesus doesn't bring us presents quite early and immediately told my brother because I wanted to make him miserable. He flat out refused to believe me. I guess that means I learned really early in life that you can't convince conspiracy nuts of the truth.

Our Christmas routine helped a lot in figuring it out. We were always visiting our grandparents on Christmas, and when we came home my father would go and check if the presents arrived while we waited with mom at the door. Curious, yes? Because all the presents everywhere else were already there when we arrived. Just ours were always late and my father always needed a couple of minutes.

From there on it was easy to guess that he didn't just look if the presents were already under the tree but that he was, in fact, putting them there, because there was no time to put them under the tree before we went to visit our grandparents.

Guess that's one thing that is made easier by you heathens getting the presents on the 25th from a Finnish fat guy in a red suit. Plenty of time to put them under the tree while the kids are in bed instead of up and about. :p

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

*rocks slowly in rocking chair*

Back in my day, the Santa myth had a lot longer life simply due to the lack of access to information we children had. I think I was a believer until around 7-8, but thats too long ago for me to remember accurately. Ah how I loved flipping through the Sears catalog and circling things I wanted Santa to bring me. :lol: My child grew up in the information age with 100% access to the internet so Santa died a swift death in their case.

• Thanks 1

I've been staring at the shipment page of my Collectors Edition CP2077.

I'm not obsessed, k? I'm just worried that someone might get the idea to steal it.

• Hmmm 1

9 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I have a feeling that if you were to get a VR headset you would go "Nope, the viewports are to small, need atleast an extra inch"

Maybe two.

My dad could also be pretty a-retentive about certain things, which would get me in trouble semi-frequently - although I don't think he quite went to that extent.  😄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

Maybe two.

My dad could also be pretty a-retentive about certain things, which would get me in trouble semi-frequently - although I don't think he quite went to that extent.  😄

"And they're too far away!" 😁

It's weird though. He's lived alone for 15 years or so now, and hasn't cleaned his house since, but woe betide you if you dare put the 16mm spanner to the right of the 17mm on the ground when you're working with them! >_<'

I don't think I ever believed there was such a thing as a "real" Santa Clause, but I remember as a small kid (6+ or so) always loving the stories and imagery of Santa. Part of my childish curiosity back then wondered, if Santa is wearing the national colours of Denmark, would a Swedish Santa wear blue and yellow instead? (yes, the logic of children) 😂

• Haha 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

I don't think I ever believed there was such a thing as a "real" Santa Clause, but I remember as a small kid (6+ or so) always loving the stories and imagery of Santa. Part of my childish curiosity back then wondered, if Santa is wearing the national colours of Denmark, would a Swedish Santa wear blue and yellow instead? (yes, the logic of children) 😂

Thats cute :thumbsup:

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Got back home yesterday. Surgery went well. My arm is in a soft cast but I start physical therapy tomorrow. This time no dating the therapist! Didn’t work out so well last time!

• Like 6

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Got back home yesterday. Surgery went well. My arm is in a soft cast but I start physical therapy tomorrow. This time no dating the therapist! Didn’t work out so well last time!

Just therapist with benefits instead?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

8 hours ago, Pidesco said:

Just therapist with benefits instead?

Couldn't be so lucky! My luck the therapist would be a dude. Nothing wrong with it... just not my thing. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Currently burning the midnight oil trying to reproduce one of the weirdest Heisenbugs I've ever come across. No luck reproducing it so far but perhaps I fixed it anyway (seems like it was trying to update a record which was never selected under certain circumstances), with a nice little mostly untested patch that I just issued in the middle of the night. Fixed another minor issue and a colleague's bug with phone numbers too while I was at it.

The patch was supposed to go live five hours ago with the tested portion of it. To patch the system we need to stop the batch processing but that wasn't possibe unti now because a job that usually takes ~6 hours ran for over 20 today. Yeah, fun. Moved that one to a different server and shuffled things around, let's see if that helps.

On the bright side the system is rock solid and considering the 200% increase of the work load compared to usual (lockdown + christmas = lots of orders from online shops) there was barely any performance hit for the users. Batch servers are really close to maximum capacity though.

Time to get some sleep. :p

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Glad you're back and doing ok, GD!

...as sort of expected once I hit the urban city of Cyberpunk I'm slowly losing interest - when I play it it's fine but when I stop I don't feel like rushing back to it.  Spent most of the afternoon/evening catching up on some silly little k-dramas.  Winter and feel like couch-slouching and not thinking. 

Trying valiantly to care about any of the tasks I've been assigned today.  Not really working. Of course my teammates who add no value other than "You fixed it, yet?" are a great assistance.

Sadly you can't use .gifs as avatar's in Teams.  I'd use :

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra