What you've done today - One Life to Live

Amentep

Got an email confirmation that my CP2077 Collectors Edition is ready to be shipped 🤩

Then I got a whatsapp message from a colleague at work that he's in hospital. 😭

• Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

*Pulls out piece of meat and a fry pan* - "I need to cook this before it goes bad, but first need to use the bathroom."

(in the bathroom)  "...the soap dish is gross, I'll just clean that out." 
"Is that mildew around the sink drain? ... it's so dusty in here ... I've neglected the floor grout too long. And..."
...two hours later...

Hubby poking his head into the bathroom: "So, can I take a shower now?"
Me: "OK."  ... *flounces off to couch, plays slots on the tablet*
...an hour or so later...   "I feel like I'm forgetting something." 

This is LC's brain.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

adopted another dog. 

*sigh*

the little mutt is less than 4.5lbs and is a couple years old. not a great deal o' fur at the moment, but his coat were in terrible shape when rescued. am suspecting some fur will grow back... maybe. he had a terrible infection in his front left leg and were likely gonna need amputation, so we paid for treatment and as luck would have it the limb is salvageable. should make some kinda recovery if not total.

have never in our life bought a sweater for a dog. had never considered the possibility. the little fella is not a shaky little dog, but given his non-coat, ridiculous size and other health issues, we bought him a fleece-lined vest, we kid you not. am now that guy: the schnook who buys clothes for dogs. 

we would explain how/why we adopted, but it doesn't make much sense. all that mattered is that he needed a home and we got space and plenty o' free time, so...

am gonna need name him. at the moment he is current recovering from medical treatment and we will bring him home on monday. gotta couple days to decide name.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You are a good man Gromnir!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I just had a run-in with a friend of my neighbor. Greeted me, asked me how I am, long time no see and all that. Baffled as I was I played along, said I'm fine considering the circumstances and bid him farewell.

Of course I have no idea who the hell that guy was. He noticed too because that's what he said to the neighbor once I closed the door. Neighbor also wondered how he would know me, but the two left and I could no longer follow the conversation from behind the door. I also call the neighbor just neighbor because I have no idea what his name is. My parents used to be prominent public figures before retiring, being involved in municipal politics so I'm used to being greeted by people I don't know asking me to convey their best wishes and greetings to mom and dad, but that was different.

If I had to guess I'd say he mistook me for my brother. He's more widely known and was a member of our (volunteer) firefighters before moving to another city, and even if I can't for the life of me see it because he looks completely NOT like me there's supposedly some family resemblance.

Gotta ask the neighbor next time I see him. Or my parents. Maybe they know.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Well, what do you know. I figured it out. Turns out I actually really know the guy from... like 25 years and what looks like 150 pounds ago. Wouldn't have recognized him, but yeah, mom immediately knew who I was talking about.

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1

^  I sent my cousin-in-law a funny-face picture a while back, when I first got the callphone account. Just a close up of my forehead-to-chin, sticking out my tongue, and she didn't recognize me - thought it was some random wrong number text from a ... teenager.

Even tho I understood it, kinda (pic was a bit odd, ok), somehow/strangely I felt a tad affronted.   :lol: 

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Looks like BBQ all week long. I might skip it this weekend though as it's just going to be too hot for "hot food". Temperatures in the low 20's at night and late 30's in the afternoon 😅

(for those across the Pacific, that's 70-100f)

More like a weekend of ice creams and cold drinks I think... 🍨🍹

• Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Been sitting here for a while, staring at the Amazon page for the Samsung 860 Pro 2TB sata3 ssd ($379).  Hubby just bought one and I want one tooooooo....I need one for more game installs, my 1TB main nvme only has 330GB free right now  - stupid ginormous games nowadays.

But ... should I also get a 4TB one ($710) to replace one of my 4TB HDD storage? Or replace both HDD's (they can become external storage!),  and to heck with it I'll just do video writing/editing to ssd?  But the price for all of that! Gah! (hubby went thru same and chose being more sensible...) 

*mouse cursor trembling*  👀

• Haha 2

Had a meeting with an external client on Teams, forgot all about my avatar :

Adeptus_mecanics.jpg

Probably should change that to be more corporate appropriate.  One guy has Tom Cruise though, so really, the offensive bar is pretty high.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Being sensible won out and I only ordered the 2TB ssd for games.  It's not the same feeling as buying a TV that has an everyday wow-factor, visible use.  The main thing I'd like all-ssd for is noise/heat and space reduction - otherwise little benefit (vs cost) for storage medium.

But I might change my mind in a few days.   :-

Edited by LadyCrimson

New SSD arrived!

Me:  "Hey honey, help me, where do I put it in?"
Hubby:  " [ censored censored innuendo censored censored ] "
Me:  ...  coh-rude1.png  ...  men.  :*

...anyway, got most of my Steam game installs transferred over - left FFXV on main boot drive and a few oldies on HDD. Plenty of room now to buy more games!

"For helvede mand!"

It was the greeting this morning from the Danish service technician when he met me for the third time in four weeks that a driver from a certain company went and tore off the rear bumper of one of our tractors at work. Same tractor. Same bumper.

He had me in stitches with that 🤣There's something about Danes being angry/exasperated that makes it sound so funny!

Edited by Azdeus
  • Haha 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, Azdeus said:

There's something about Danes being angry/exasperated that makes it sound so funny!

Danes always sound funny. Like people speaking Dutch.

's not a jab at people or anything. Just as someone who understands both German and English the two languages have something inherently funny to them. Also Danes speaking German generally have adorkable accents. ❤️

<insert jokes about German sounding aggressive here>

• Like 1

I've come to the conclusion that the Ruger Mini 14 is better than an AR variant.  I mean sure the AR has more after market accessories and is perhaps more accurate at very long distances (in which case you'd probably want a sniper rifle anyway), but the Ruger is far easier to clean and maintain and is much lighter and easier to carry.  Logistical and preparational considerations are more important to me than pure tactical ones.

Edited by ComradeMaster

Had my yearly checkup at my ophthalmologist.

Eyes got a bit worse, and I figured it's been a while since I got new glasses, so why not. So my wife and I go shopping, and she's like: "Hey, is this going to be expensive?" and I go "Nah, not really", so she immediately starts picking out frames and we finally find one she likes (that I can live with).

A couple of measurements and a bill from the shop later she looks at me and says: "Wait, you said this isn't going to be expensive!" and I'm like...

"Yeah that was before you picked the Emporio Armani frame and the diamond glass package, dear."

800€ to cosplay John Lennon. Could have been worse though. They do look spiffy.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Letting her pick was the first mistake 😛I pay about $500 for mine every 2 years or so, insurance covers about $300 though.  Hard to find boring frames these days though.

Edited by Malcador
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They always have those $99 frames, but I need smallish, narrow rectangles with nose-bridge pieces, with somewhat flexible, thin metal frames/earpieces (I lie on my side a lot) and such are never cheap apparently. Typically frames = 30%-40% of the price, exam+lenses and any lens coatings the rest.  Last time all together I think it was around $700.  But I rarely buy new glasses. Usually it's once every 7-10 years....

...may change as I get older tho. I've already largely stopped wearing contacts because of being near AND far sighted now, so glasses get more use.

Edited by LadyCrimson

48 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Letting her pick was the first mistake 😛I pay about $500 for mine every 2 years or so, insurance covers about $300 though.  Hard to find boring frames these days though.

My insurance covered, let me check, 17.54 €. To be fair, with a basic (acrylic) glass package and a regular no-name frame they would be pretty much free, but also super uncomfortable, heavy and ugly.

I'm blind enough to need super high refractive lenses and a small frame if I don't want to wear ashtray-style glasses on my nose. It certainly doesn't help that large 70ies style frames seem to be all the rage these days, it's apparently cool to look like a creepy stalker or pervert. :p

You know, like Rich Evans:

latest?cb=20150111044225

My son and I have been pretty much exclusively Nike for years. 

nike-7090-eye-glasses.jpg

They are pretty durable and affordable. 

Of course, that doesn't stop our optometrist shop from gouging us for all sorts of other weird charges. I might need a new eye doctor.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

that large 70ies style frames

I don't know what you're talking about.  Late 70's/early 80's was rockin' eyewear.

glasses1.jpg

....not.
And those weren't cheap ones, back then, either.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

I've come to the conclusion that the Ruger Mini 14 is better than an AR variant.  I mean sure the AR has more after market accessories and is perhaps more accurate at very long distances (in which case you'd probably want a sniper rifle anyway), but the Ruger is far easier to clean and maintain and is much lighter and easier to carry.  Logistical and preparational considerations are more important to me than pure tactical ones.

If you get a 580(made 2006 or later iirc) or higher serial number Ruger, it's been accurized down to 2MOA from the factory, but an AR15 is hands down lighter unless you go all mall ninja. And an ar15 is much cheaper, so you could spend the money on lightening it.

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

If you get a 580(made 2006 or later iirc) or higher serial number Ruger, it's been accurized down to 2MOA from the factory, but an AR15 is hands down lighter unless you go all mall ninja. And an ar15 is much cheaper, so you could spend the money on lightening it.

Yeah I saw that after the fact.  I was checking out older Ruger models when their barrels were much lighter and almost pencil like (which led to some problems for extended usage).  Around the turn of the millennium they started putting heavier and more reliable barrels which upped the weight a bit.

5853.jpg

Mini-30 here (7.62x39) weighs apx 6.7 lbs whilst the average from-the-factory AR weighs about 6.5 lbs.

Still, cleaning assault rifles is an absolute horror show, I can't imagine being a marine and having to constantly meet inspection checks for them, so I think the .2 lb difference is not significant for a trade-off in maintenance.