What you've done today - One Life to Live

Amentep

My thumb joints (other fingers too but thumbs worst) have decided to go kaput on me again, stiff and hard to bend without them wanting to pop/grind out of place - I've been waking up where they're almost stuck in place and flexing them in the morning so they'll half-work is a chore. Hasn't been like this in some years.  Couldn't even break a small piece off a chocolate bar yesterday. :mellow: I have those slip-on metal "splints" so I'm back to wearing those most of the time, including while sleeping - hopefully after a short while they'll heal up enough again. Bah. 

Unfortunately, finger splints do not prevent me from surfing through Amazon. My misery doesn't care about company, but apparently it does care about shopping.  Maybe a pair of these might be nice right now - I could still use touchscreen with them:  :disguise:

https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Rechargeable-Battery-Temperature-Touchscreen/dp/B07FX6HSJX/

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So I was talking to a friend of mine online this weekend. She told me she was considering getting a Furbo for her dog. She wanted to know what my opinion of it was. I told her I didn’t think much of them. She thought of it as a way to help her dog with separation anxiety. I told her that’s not how a dog’s mind works. The dog will form a relationship with the machine and not associate it to her. Not saying that’s a bad thing necessarily if it helps with separation anxiety I just wanted her to know it does not work the way she thinks it does. So she asked me how sunny deals with it when I’m not here. And then it hit me. I’ve been working from home since April. Everywhere I have been since then with the exception of two trips to Kroger sunny has come with. We have literally not been away from each other more than 45 minutes total in seven months. She’s probably sick of me!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, another pic of my desk ... I guess the new 55" oled is all right. :-  I'm convinced - hubby's qled looks good, but oled is definitely a lot better.

55oledtv1.jpg

...I put windows taskbar to be "invisible" until you hover over it and a solid black wallpaper image. We'll see how how frequent/strong image persistence seems (meaning burn-in danger over time), if at all.
...totally in my face but looks so good it doesn't bother me at all (slightly under 3 feet from screen to eyeball).  Strange but true.  My 27" IPS monitor now kind of looks like ****, contrast/color wise, sitting right next to it.  >_< 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Good to see that Trump isn't the only person about publicly not knowing when his time is up.  ****ing Jogi Löw

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

About 2/3 through the current semester.  This one has been cake, especially since Adult and Aging Care was pushed to next semester.  However, that means 180 clinical hours next semester.  I'm thinking about switching to a different per diem job after the new year.  I get paid fairly well for what I do now, but I don't like keeping patient information at home, I can't take patient calls like I do when I'm in clinical hours, and I don't want to have to drive all over the Inland Empire.  ...And the LA office is always swamped and asking me to take their patients.  They get in a bind and then really press for the help.  I got an offer to work for CVS to run a Covid-19 testing center, but I'd also like to get some experience that will help when I'm a primary provider.  Decisions.

"Not for the sake of much time..."

Went through some morning meetings, was working on some data analysis, went into our online Employee Central to check something... And saw that I had apparently booked today off on vacation for a long weekend as part of their "make sure your holidays are booked in advanced and there's no rush or large gaps when covid is over" 4+ months back.

Apparently, I'd completely forgotten about it, and it wasn't showing in my calendar, so I've already spent over half the day actually working.

Le Sigh.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Is it just me or does anyone else get upset when dog meat gets injured in fallout four? Hearing him crying and seeing him flail around but you can’t run out to him because you’re under heavy fire from gunners? Very upsetting. 

Of course is he didn’t charge the damned baracade manned by guys with automatic weapons like a bad dog none of that would have happened.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

18 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Of course is he didn’t charge the damned baracade manned by guys with automatic weapons like a bad dog none of that would have happened.

First time, yeah!

Second time, a bit.

56733451 times later, after charging headlong into groups of enemies I really just sigh and go "I packed 27 plasma mines in your backpack, why they not exploding? 🤔"

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I'm playing baseball .... slots.  Been on auto-spin while doing other things for a couple hours, 250M a spin. I've been on a (mostly) crazy unending lucky streak but ...

nojackpot.jpg

...I'm coming out way ahead, so why the exasperated faces?  Because I'm greedy and it's not this one:

slot-baseball2.jpg

I'm telling ya, the Home Run is a lie! Pffft.

Happy Friday/weekend everyone, hope it's a relaxing one. 

• Like 1

LC's expression is our clients' reaction to all of our work this week.

• Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Overcast and rainy. A good day to stay inside and watch football and play computer games

Thomas Sowell

Having another huge lucky streak in that baseball slot.  Still no "Homerun"  tho.  :disguise:

Other than that, a quiet Sunday. And our neighbors have returned! They're aliiiiivvve!  They're busy cleaning up their home/yard - some of their huge tropical leaf things were getting as tall as the house, heh.  I hope they didn't like where ever they were so much they're going to move/sell or anything.  They're some of the better neighbors we've had. 

This morning during my early walk I saw something really heartwarming, there was a man walking with his 2 dogs and one of the dogs only had 3 legs but was absolutely happy and content as it hobbled along with its owner and other normal  dog

It reminded me how fortunate we are to be living in such a progressive and advanced time of amazing science where maybe 30 years ago if " mans best friend" had lost one of its legs I am sure the normal suggestion and approach would be  to have the animal put down because people would have believed the dog couldnt have a normal and happy life 

But nowadays this doesnt mean that anymore...and what I witnessed this morning is an example of this 🐶

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I have been working on my retirement planning the past few weeks. Right now the way I figure I plan to retire in five years. 2026 I will be pension eligible at my new job. It would be at the minimum level so we’re not talking a great deal of money but a revenue stream is a revenue stream. 

I did game out one scenario where I sell everything I own. All my real estate holdings including my home. I buy a small RV and hit the road. Live in national park campgrounds, state park campgrounds waffle House parking lots and just go total gypsy. Just roam the country in my last year‘s. It’s actually doable. And the upshot is I would pay almost nothing in taxes if I did this. That appeals to me greatly LOL!

But, don’t know if the life of a hobo is for me. I love my house and the land it sits on

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

24 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I did game out one scenario where I sell everything I own. All my real estate holdings including my home. I buy a small RV and hit the road. Live in national park campgrounds, state park campgrounds waffle House parking lots and just go total gypsy. Just roam the country in my last year‘s. It’s actually doable. And the upshot is I would pay almost nothing in taxes if I did this. That appeals to me greatly LOL!

But, don’t know if the life of a hobo is for me. I love my house and the land it sits on

I think that is  definitely  a real possibility and has some really unique advantages  but it could be lonely unless you are fine travelling alone at times which many of us are. Also you wouldn't be a hobo at all ...thats a negative definition of what you would be doing on retirement. I would define it as " a traveler, unburdened by state  borders and  cumbersome definitions of what we call a  home "...the whole of the USA could be your home  ....think of all the amazing things you will witness that you have always wanted to see in the USA?  And you could rent space in many caravan parks\national parks  which could be exactly like a home, that you could return  to if you feel like you need to reconnect with people ,  and you would meet other people who have similar views like you who prefer the open road lifestyle. Also if you have revenue stream, which you will have, you would have  a great quality of life and using an  RV you will save money generally ?

There are people I have met who live this life and they very happy ..but what about the dogs ?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Spent day listening to Russian classes on Youtube rather than working. 

• Hmmm 1

26 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Spent day listening to Russian classes on Youtube rather than working. 

Why you learning Russian?

John Milton 

2 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Why you learning Russian?

Have Russian friends, was bored.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Have Russian friends, was bored.

It would have  been very useful for me to learn Russian or Ukrainian in the days when I use to frequent strip clubs ....my " friends " also would have appreciated it, I like the way you operate Malc ;)

John Milton 

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I have been working on my retirement planning the past few weeks. Right now the way I figure I plan to retire in five years. 2026 I will be pension eligible at my new job. It would be at the minimum level so we’re not talking a great deal of money but a revenue stream is a revenue stream. 

I'd love to do that. Hardly the hobo life, RV's these days are super swank. I am pretty sure once the kids are out of the house and self-sufficient, my wife and I will downsize to a condo or something small, and my wife and I will buy a Sprinter Van to travel in for a chunk of the year. I think I have her no board with this.

I've been enjoying my new Instacart profession. It's a pretty fun side hustle. This week has been profitable with all the Thanksgiving shopping trips needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

I think that is  definitely  a real possibility and has some really unique advantages  but it could be lonely unless you are fine travelling alone at times which many of us are. Also you wouldn't be a hobo at all ...thats a negative definition of what you would be doing on retirement. I would define it as " a traveler, unburdened by state  borders and  cumbersome definitions of what we call a  home "...the whole of the USA could be your home  ....think of all the amazing things you will witness that you have always wanted to see in the USA?  And you could rent space in many caravan parks\national parks  which could be exactly like a home, that you could return  to if you feel like you need to reconnect with people ,  and you would meet other people who have similar views like you who prefer the open road lifestyle. Also if you have revenue stream, which you will have, you would have  a great quality of life and using an  RV you will save money generally ?

There are people I have met who live this life and they very happy ..but what about the dogs ?

Oh Sunny is definitely coming with if I did that. of course in 2026 she would be 17 years old I think so hard to say if she would even still be with me. But if not her somebody will be. The way I figure it if I stay here in my home and continue to do what I’m doing, growing a large part of my own food and generating about half of the power I use I could probably live comfortably on about $20,000 a year. That would be enough to cover the cost of property taxes, miscellaneous groceries and other things, health insurance, veterinarinary costs,  that kind of thing. One thing you have to love about Tennessee is that it’s a red state. Taxes are low in cost of living is pretty easy. So the idea is to generate an income that gets to close to that as possible then I can live without touching my savings which obviously is ideal. my home is paid off, and I have no debts to speak of. That’s a pretty good position to be in. 

now if I go for the gypsy retirement plan obviously $20,000 a year is not going to cut it. So I would have to sell all of the real estate that provides a revenue stream for me because I won’t be around to maintain it. If I sold everything it’s probably a pretty good chunk of money. But if it’s only earning average stock market interest I will likely run out before I croak.Living on the road like that, even modestly, isn’t cheap.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, BruceVC said:

It would have  been very useful for me to learn Russian or Ukrainian in the days when I use to frequent strip clubs ....my " friends " also would have appreciated it, I like the way you operate Malc ;)

You were meeting arms dealers in these clubs ?  It is certainly not an easy language to learn, well or perhaps I don't have the knack for it.  But there are a lot of resources out there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I worked all day and came home to my roommate and fiance watching Dolomite is My Name.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

50 minutes ago, Malcador said:

You were meeting arms dealers in these clubs ?  It is certainly not an easy language to learn, well or perhaps I don't have the knack for it.  But there are a lot of resources out there.

I can insult and curse in russian, that's all I need 👌

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken