What you've done today - One Life to Live

Amentep

2 hours ago, Fionavar said:

Just preparing for the snowpocalypse ...

201107.png

Take care of yourself.

Also, major jealous, I won't lie. ._.

• Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Looks bad... we had our share of wild weather last week. Severe storms with hail. Much better now with pleasant weather 24/7.

Taken by a friend of a friend, two suburbs away:
received_4281335295233181.jpeg?width=352&height=470

• Gasp! 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sunday.  Hubby's cocoon-wrapped in a sleeping bag at his desk, watching some seemingly endless M365 (I think) video training courses.  eg, he's busy, I'm not in a gaming mood and am thus restless. But not this restless.
leavesagain.jpg

It's still really windy and about 55F mid-day - but at least we don't have giant hail. 🙀 
Still loving my super long legwarmers - don't need no sleeping bag! (eyeballs her extra-wimpy husband).
relax23.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I just got done blowing, raking, and bagging the leaves in the backyard. I hate it and it's made worse by the fact that the leaves aren't from my trees because mine are all either evergreens or small.

I'll do the front yard eventually

Free games updated 3/4/21

Watched a few highlights from yesterdays match between FC Liverpool and Manchester City in the English Premiere League. Game ended 1-1. The two goalscorers... Jesus and Mohammad 😝

Edit: Gabriel Jesus and Mohammad Salah that is.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I've usually had FRAPS still work in 98% of games on Win10, but sadly DX12 stops it.  Happily I finally found a substitute. It's called Action! - tried their watermarked trial, liked it enough. Similar to FRAPS, you pay for an activation key.  Video quality not as uber high as FRAPS but looks good. Can even do simple Twitch streaming with it supposedly.  And their .avi option for videos still opens up in VirtualDub (unlike popular mp4 codecs), which is great for me. Still prefer VD for making large simple edits before other editing software.

...um...other than that, it's been an (extra) lazy last day or two.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

29 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I've usually had FRAPS still work in 98% of games on Win10, but sadly DX12 stops it.  Happily I finally found a substitute. It's called Action! - tried their watermarked trial, liked it enough. Similar to FRAPS, you pay for an activation key.  Video quality not as uber high as FRAPS but looks good. Can even do simple Twitch streaming with it supposedly.  And their .avi option for videos still opens up in VirtualDub (unlike popular mp4 codecs), which is great for me. Still prefer VD for making large simple edits before other editing software.

...um...other than that, it's been an (extra) lazy last day or two.

Have you tried - https://obsproject.com/ ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Have you tried - https://obsproject.com/ ?

Yes.  Its video compression quality over all and especially if on the fly downscaling (playing in 4k, want video to be 1080 or 1440 etc) is the pits, to me. Also less "easy" to use.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Yes.  Its video compression quality over all and especially if on the fly downscaling (playing in 4k, want video to be 1080 or 1440 etc) is the pits, to me. Also less "easy" to use.

Ah ok, I've used it sparingly but it's free so figured I'd suggest it.  One of my coworkers uses that for his Teams meetings, but somehow 1.5 hours of set up for calls with coworkers makes me doubtful of the man's sense. 😛

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

but somehow 1.5 hours of set up for calls with coworkers makes me doubtful of the man's sense.

This sounds a lot like what hubby says a lot re: management whenever they want to change/try something "new and trendy" but is likely to be more of a PITA and major hassle from an IT/tech/security pov.

OBS is useful/a good program don't get me wrong.  I'm pretty picky/a semi-control freak re: video compression.

Edited by LadyCrimson

12 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

This sounds a lot like what hubby says a lot re: management whenever they want to change/try something "new and trendy" but is likely to be more of a PITA and major hassle from an IT/tech/security pov.

OBS is useful/a good program don't get me wrong.  I'm pretty picky/a semi-control freak re: video compression.

Nah he does this crap just for himself, for some reason.

Watching my laptop's CPU redlinining almost, the temps are 100 C, and all due to OneDrive making the Indexer go nuts.  I can't touch any of this as I don't have admin access (work machine), so just have to sit here and watch that it doesn't ignite my desk.

• Gasp! 1

14 minutes ago, Malcador said:

so just have to sit here and watch that it doesn't ignite my desk.

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Contemplating whether I want the newer Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 tablet. But it's freaking even bigger - 11" vs. 10.5" making it even less "hand-y"- and the attachable KB thingie is around 150 bucks on its own, making it nearly $800 for both. I could get a 3080 for that, sheesh. But I spend more and more time on the tablet (and don't want/need a real laptop). They have older/cheaper (and smaller) models ofc, but then they're not really an upgrade.  Some of their more recent/cheaper models don't even have a headphone jack, either, wtf is up with that. To sell more dongles I guess?  Edit: wait, guess s7 doesn't have a headphone jack either. Cripes.

Anyway...expense of tech toys is just out of hand.  We should all just go back to playing tiddlywinks on the sidewalk.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Cheater.
leavesagain3.jpg

...and it's going to take a lot longer then manual. But it means a more compact mulch for the city compost bin so more fits in. Or he could just leave it in another pile for weather to wear down, like what's behind him.  :shifty:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

it is still veterans day.

thank you.

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

21 hours ago, Fionavar said:

I am building a glacier in the Roost owing to over 2' of snow ...

Time for a self-portrait?

snowdragon1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Tracked down the weirdest database update conflict in the history of update conflicts.

It ended up being a query that was meant to update complimentary data and didn't account for the very unlikely case that the complementary and the current record are actually the same. It's probably better if you don't ask how that can be. :p

(the answer is of course user error, what else could it be)

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

On 11/7/2020 at 3:29 PM, Fionavar said:

Just preparing for the snowpocalypse ...

Brrrrrr!  Keep warm, brother!  We'll be thinking of you in the lands between borders.

As for myself, Obsidz therapy time.  I had an experience at the grocery today.  I won't get into the specifics, but I had to speak to the manager at the local market.  I am probably one of the most friendly and urbane people you all would meet in person, but every now and again something can draw my ire.  To put this in perspective, I am a giant and I can look *really* mean when I'm angry.  So, at some point, the manager, we'll call him Ren, says, "You want to step away from me?"  Oh. my. Lord.  I actually grinned under my mask and I stepped toward him and said, "You know, Ren, I don't think I do!"  lol  Oh, I was being an ass.  I feel bad about it now, but I really was angry at the time.  Of course, I have too much self control to actually hurt Ren, but I think he literally thought I was going to assault him.  On the other hand, while it's kind of funny, it just shows how I've let things this year get under my skin.  The election doesn't bother me, but the Covid restrictions and the fact that I have patients who are literally suffering from the continued lockdown, dealing with my wife working from home, trying to do a good nursing job in an environment where even some of the seasoned nurses are having to rethink how they do the work, these things have all got me off my game.  I can't remember the last time I got so angry over something so stupid.  I'm ashamed of it.  Granted, Ren was kind of a prick, but he wasn't truly horrible.  Certainly not enough to get in his grill.  ...And he's a young guy.  I figure I could *probably* take him if I had to, but I'm a middle aged white guy who's had heart surgery.  Whatever I was when I was younger, I'm sure as hell not that now.

"Not for the sake of much time..."

Production issue at 2300. Pretty sure I hacked a solution that seems to have worked.  Coworker hit a button which set off every system monitoring alarm, so at least we made our Indian colleagues have some excitement :lol:

• Thanks 1

Going up to Dyersburg to do some landscaping on my lot up there. I got a nasty letter from the city. Well, it HAS been a while. 

• Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell