What you've done today - One Life to Live

Amentep

I heard what sounded like two cannon balls careening down my stairs and my kittens came skidding around the corner to post up at my back sliding door. A squirrel was sitting on one of the patio chairs and the little bastage had torn a hole in a cushion and was filling his cheeks with stuffing, presumably to line his burrow for the winter. So in the garage the cushions went, at least only one was ruined. My wife was pretty miffed but I gave the cats treats for alerting me. :biggrin: 

• Like 1

I ordered four 100 Gallon plastic tanks to make a rainwater retention system to irrigate the garden. I have one already. 

Going to make one for the greenhouse too. Not sure how that is going to work yet. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 minute ago, Gfted1 said:

Are they going to be elevated to take advantage of gravity or are you also installing a pump?

110V pump. I thought about using a DC powered pump with a 12V battery connected to the solar array. But it would have to to be connected in parallel with the batteries in the house. That means a long cable run, 75-80 meters or so. Using DC that means at least a 6 AWG wire. Kind of expensive. If I place the tanks close to the house it means pumping water through a 75-80 pvc pipe run which requires more power off the battery when means the house system does not get as much.  So placing it close to the house has too many problems. I have a 110V circuit in the barn and it's only 15-20' from the irrigation system for the garden.  So I'm using a 1/2 HP pump and an extension cord.

I'd LOVE to use a 3 tier down spill system and let Sir Isaac Newton water my garden. But that would require a scaffolding of some kind. A gallon of water weighs 8 lbs give or take. So five 100 gallon tanks when full is in the ballpark of 4k lbs not even counting the weight of the barrels and interconnecting PVC. That would be a pretty beefy structure to support that kind of weight. And I don't have the kind of elevation changes to use the lay of the land.    

That would be sooo cool though wouldn't it?

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Was a funny situation where client insisted on having a meeting to describe an issue I already fixed.  So join the call and ask him why are we having this. He says he booked an hour off for it and needs a break from other meetings :lol:

• Haha 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just found out that my older brother survived the terrorist attack in Vienna. Apparently they all hid inside the restaurant for 5 hours until the police had everything under control.

What the hell is this world coming to...

• Like 5

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Renewed my drivers license and got the newly required "Real ID". I tried to do it a few weeks ago and the line at the DMV was out the door, down the side of building, and ending out in the rear parking lot. So I left. Today I was there an hour before they opened and I was second in line. Thirty minutes after I got there another ~40 people had already queued up behind me! Otherwise: new picture, proof of residency (for Real ID) and taking the written test and I was in and out of there in 20 minutes. WooHoo! 

28 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Renewed my drivers license and got the newly required "Real ID". I tried to do it a few weeks ago and the line at the DMV was out the door, down the side of building, and ending out in the rear parking lot. So I left. Today I was there an hour before they opened and I was second in line. Thirty minutes after I got there another ~40 people had already queued up behind me! Otherwise: new picture, proof of residency (for Real ID) and taking the written test and I was in and out of there in 20 minutes. WooHoo! 

No better feeling than when you time the queue right.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

True that! I had been dreading going back ever since I saw how bad the line was the first time but had resigned myself to take my lumps today. I was so happy that my 1 hour investment of going before they opened saved me a couple hours on the backend. Aside, the "written test" is no longer written multiple choice, its now touch panel multiple choice and you have to get 28 correct answers to pass. I dont know how many you can get wrong, its ridiculously easy and I didnt miss any.

45 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

True that! I had been dreading going back ever since I saw how bad the line was the first time but had resigned myself to take my lumps today. I was so happy that my 1 hour investment of going before they opened saved me a couple hours on the backend. Aside, the "written test" is no longer written multiple choice, its now touch panel multiple choice and you have to get 28 correct answers to pass. I dont know how many you can get wrong, its ridiculously easy and I didnt miss any.

How often do you have to take a test? I don't think I've had to do one in 20+ years in CA.

Unless we count traffic school to clear a speeding ticket.

For someone who likes to acquire in bulk whenever possible so she doesn't have to think about something for months, the way hospitals/regulations like to dribble the things you need to you in tiny increments is :mellow: ... also, quantity consistency.  Amounts of stuff won't match, like 100 of this but 50 of that, and you need both in the same amounts ... doesn't compute.

Can I just not eat? That would keep blood sugar etc. down, right? :shifty:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well folks I am officially sick and tired of election business. This damn thing is like a houseguest that overstayed their welcome and just won’t leave. That kind of describes one of the candidates too now that I think of it. I just got home from the grocery store. I stopped in the library on the way and checked out four  new books and now I think I’m going to turn off the Internet and all my electronic devices off and just decompress for the remainder of the weekend. Problably spend the weekend reading, playing Stellaris and drinking coffee while watching the sun set. See you guys next week

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Thomas Sowell

2 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Well folks I am officially sick and tired of election business. This damn thing is like a houseguest that overstayed their welcome and just won’t leave. That kind of describes one of the candidates too now that I think of it. I just got home from the grocery store. I stopped in the library on the way and checked out four  new books and now I think I’m going to turn off the Internet and all my electronic devices off and just decompress for the remainder of the weekend. Problably spend the weekend reading, playing Stellaris and drinking coffee while watching the sun set. See you guys next week

Amen. Sounds like a plan.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

16 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

They'll probably still be counting when you return.  :-

I spent time cleaning up the yard this morning.  It's been really windy and those darn city street trees are doing their usual leaf dumping.  You could stand out there dancing with your rake all day and never catch up.  *shakes fist*  It's good exercise tho I guess...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

7 hours ago, Amentep said:

Turning off and doing other things is always a viable plan.

Amentep I am shocked you would say such a thing ?

You are an American citizen....you CANNOT ever turn off from politics...its your lifeblood and defines you, remember what they taught you at school ;)

The weather in CPT is very temperamental and I assume its got to do with it being coastal and somehow being   built around mountains must impact  wind and general weather patterns?

Anyway I went for my walk this morning and it always starts the same way where I walk about about 1.5 miles up-hill towards the base of Table Mountain and due to the erratic weather patterns it was  overcast and gloomy when I started. Yet by the time I got to Table Mountain I had walked through low level clouds\mist that represented the bad weather ....and it was clear weather ☀️

So it was an  amazing experience that within 20 minutes I could walk to clear weather by literally being above the bad weather :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Amentep I am shocked you would say such a thing ?

You are an American citizen....you CANNOT ever turn off from politics...its your lifeblood and defines you, remember what they taught you at school ;)

They didn't teach me to not turn off politics because it was my lifeblood. :p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

After receiving a $500 bill from my daughter's dance studio for 'choreography', I decided I need to figure out a way to bring in some extra money. I signed up for something called instacart, which has me go shopping for people.

My first job sent me to a pet store, where I found the 2 items requested pretty quickly. I was told I had about 30 minutes to complete this task, so the time was ticking. There was some hijinks trying to get the instacart card to scan off my phone, but I was able to complete the transaction with only a few minutes lost. Then I went to my car and tried to scan the receipt. I kept getting an error! With time ticking down, I figured it was best to make the delivery and worry about the receipt later. I drove to the person's house, struggled with the scanner again, and then simply skipped that step and delivered the goods. They were due by 1:37 PM and I had them at the door by 1:36. Success!

I still couldn't get the receipt to scan, so I texted the help line and they completed the transaction for me. So just a bit of stress, but I am now $12.70 richer. All told it took about 45 minutes to do the job. Not bad! Seems like an easy enough way to earn a few bucks when I have spare hour or two. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

After receiving a $500 bill from my daughter's dance studio for 'choreography', I decided I need to figure out a way to bring in some extra money. I signed up for something called instacart, which has me go shopping for people.

My first job sent me to a pet store, where I found the 2 items requested pretty quickly. I was told I had about 30 minutes to complete this task, so the time was ticking. There was some hijinks trying to get the instacart card to scan off my phone, but I was able to complete the transaction with only a few minutes lost. Then I went to my car and tried to scan the receipt. I kept getting an error! With time ticking down, I figured it was best to make the delivery and worry about the receipt later. I drove to the person's house, struggled with the scanner again, and then simply skipped that step and delivered the goods. They were due by 1:37 PM and I had them at the door by 1:36. Success!

I still couldn't get the receipt to scan, so I texted the help line and they completed the transaction for me. So just a bit of stress, but I am now $12.70 richer. All told it took about 45 minutes to do the job. Not bad! Seems like an easy enough way to earn a few bucks when I have spare hour or two. 

How far did you travel?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

16 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Less than 5 miles total.

I know that fuel is much cheaper in the US than here, but about how much does that cost you to travel?

For me it'd be roughly 3$, in insurance, wear and tear and fuel.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 hours ago, Azdeus said:

I know that fuel is much cheaper in the US than here, but about how much does that cost you to travel?

For me it'd be roughly 3$, in insurance, wear and tear and fuel.

.50 to .60 cents a mile is probably a good estimate.

• Like 1