What you've done today - One Life to Live

Amentep

back in may we got a heads up from our financial guy that we had just bought silver... lots and lots o' silver. 

had a moment o' confusion followed by horror. why on earth would we buy silver? silver bounces all over the place 'but it doesn't bounce a whole lot. is tough to make money with silver, and apparently we had bought a sh!7 ton o' silver. 

costs somewhere 'tween eight and twelve dollars simply to get silver out o' the ground, so we had an order to buy silver up to X dollars if silver dropped below $11.80. X in this case were not a small number. back in may, silver dropped to $11.70. sudden, Gromnir is a silver baron? exaggeration? not by much.

*groan*

silver has been all over the place since may, but it did go up considerable. with how f'd the markets is thanks to lack o' stimulus and election uncertainty, we decided we needed more cash, so we called our financial guy and told him to sell all our silver at  $XX.30. that number were hit today.

first world problems but you got no idea what a relief it is gonna be to not look at silver prices obsessive every day... since may have spent at least 30 minutes every day dedicated to checking silver price and trends.

all the talk o' watermelon had us jones for a watermelon fizz. 'cause am old, we almost always have ginger ale on hand. combine our frozen watermelon, ginger ale and lime juice. am understanding gin is a staple in such a combination but we do not consume alcohol as a beverage. 

yummy.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Today I performed my civic duty and voted. A combination of bad weather and going to the polls during normal working hours meant that I got in and out with zero wait. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I live in the American south west. My state was one of those hit by that winter storm. I never lost power because I live minutes away from downtown, but I did lose internet for three days. I feel irrationally happy that I can now watch trashy youtube podcasts at home now. The power's still out at my sister's house 'cause they live in a rural part of the state (they've got a generator). I'm hopeful work crews can get power to everyone by early to mid next week.

• Like 2

In the last week I have had to do two fresh W10 OS clean installs. The first was owing to what I thought was a very corrupt driver install that knackered too many subsystems. Then it turns out it was the integrated discreet video card on my Alienware M15. That doesn't happen everyday! Now a new mobo and OS install ... back to game!

• Like 1

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

11 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Today I performed my civic duty and voted. A combination of bad weather and going to the polls during normal working hours meant that I got in and out with zero wait. 

No need to  be reticent ...who did you vote for in this exciting election, some people believe your vote is your secret but that doesnt mean you cant share your voting choice. Its a personal decision 

There is no right or wrong voting choice in any Democratic election  as we always  decide on our own who we want to support and no should really question that because that is your right 8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

a week ago we used a drop box to vote. today we final got notice the ballot had been received.

tumblr_on2i3dYst51r98xw9o1_r1_540.gif

still feels like a win.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 10/27/2020 at 6:42 PM, Gromnir said:

back in may we got a heads up from our financial guy that we had just bought silver... lots and lots o' silver. 

had a moment o' confusion followed by horror. why on earth would we buy silver? silver bounces all over the place 'but it doesn't bounce a whole lot. is tough to make money with silver, and apparently we had bought a sh!7 ton o' silver. 

costs somewhere 'tween eight and twelve dollars simply to get silver out o' the ground, so we had an order to buy silver up to X dollars if silver dropped below $11.80. X in this case were not a small number. back in may, silver dropped to $11.70. sudden, Gromnir is a silver baron? exaggeration? not by much.

*groan*

silver has been all over the place since may, but it did go up considerable. with how f'd the markets is thanks to lack o' stimulus and election uncertainty, we decided we needed more cash, so we called our financial guy and told him to sell all our silver at  $XX.30. that number were hit today.

first world problems but you got no idea what a relief it is gonna be to not look at silver prices obsessive every day... since may have spent at least 30 minutes every day dedicated to checking silver price and trends.

all the talk o' watermelon had us jones for a watermelon fizz. 'cause am old, we almost always have ginger ale on hand. combine our frozen watermelon, ginger ale and lime juice. am understanding gin is a staple in such a combination but we do not consume alcohol as a beverage. 

yummy.

HA! Good Fun!

Silver is like any other commodity. It’s a hedge against inflation. Like any other physical commodities is has a real world value. The farther ahead of that value the worse that commodity is to buy. It will return to the mean eventually. Gold and silver are great investments in troubled economic times. But right now inflation is not particularly high. Which means they are seriously overpriced. I know gold has seen some very large price fluctuations in the recent months. And right now I think it’s still overvalued. IMO large cap stocks in companies with modest debt service is the place to be. It won’t make you rich but it’s better than bank interest and possibly even more stable LOL!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Silver is like any other commodity. It’s a hedge against inflation. Like any other physical commodities is has a real world value. The farther ahead of that value the worse that commodity is to buy. It will return to the mean eventually. Gold and silver are great investments in troubled economic times. But right now inflation is not particularly high. Which means they are seriously overpriced.

silver only sorta/kinda follows such trends. again, in spite of economic turmoil this year, silver dropped precipitous. less than $12 an ounce? reason we were surprised we had bought silver is 'cause we hadn't bothered to look at silver. who would expect with economic turmoil and rising covid deaths silver would tank to that degree? sure, we had the order in, but sub $12 were only a bit more likely than an alien invasion scenario.

ordinary and reasonable people tend to lump all the precious metals together... is why you see all those silly precious metal commercials on tv when there is some kinda economic downturn or instability. everybody knows how gold and silver increase in value and is reliable when there is turmoil. is not a wrong assumption, but silver doesn't behave same as gold. 

admitted, something similar happened with silver back in 2008ish. by 3rd quarter, we were already deep into recession, and then silver dropped to less than $10. would eventually increase to more than $45 in 2012(?).

am retired. we don't need the silver drama.

HA! Good Fun!

Commodities are not for the faint of heart. Or for folks who rely on investments for income. Silver traders are usually more practical because silver has numerous indusdtrial uses. As a resource that actually gets used you have to be more cognizant of it's demand. Gold used to be that way. And it was much more stable when the US dollar was actually tethered to it. Gold these days is a panic buy. It's like folks who buy all the D-Cell batteries when there is a hurricane coming. Even if they don't even have stuff that uses D-Cells. 

The beauty of commodities like those is you might lose money but you likely won't go broke. They will never be worthless. And sometimes you get really, really lucky. In 2006 I started buying gold every paycheck In 2008 after Obama was elected and there was a real run on gold. It went over $2k and I had been buying at $900. That was a huge break because in 2010 I lost my job AND got into a terrible car accident. That nest egg was a HUGE help. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

5 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Grading my first Unit exams during this digital teaching experiment reminds me that there are two kinds of people in this world; those that can extrapolate on limited data. 

as a grumpy and old person, we cannot help but believe that the fancy-schmancy intraweb thing all the kids talk 'bout these days may have something to do with the diminished capacity to get beyond the remember and understand portions o' bloom's taxonomy. every question may be answered with a quick google search, and not just facts neither. be directed by a lit teacher to discuss themes, symbolism and modern day relevance o' (insert a shakespeare play here) and one need only learn how to refine the appropriate search engine query. 

the internet is a fabulous and indispensable tool, but we cannot help but feel as if ez access to answers makes it more difficult to teach kids how to learn.

and now let's talk about power steering. back in Gromnir's day...

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gromnir said:

HA! Good Fun!

Musclepower you mean? /flex

I'll also say, as much as a help anti-spin, EBS, ACC, ESC, TCS and all the other abbrieviations, I feel makes drivers more unsafe than when they don't have it. When the road is covered with sleet, rain or snow, you never find old cars without these systems driving 120kmh+, hell there are some people that forgo changing to winter tyres for that same reason, plus "I've got 4 wheel drive".. 😨

---

A coworker of my mother decided to take a little walk and visited my mother, drinks were imbibed, I was asked if I could driver her home. No problem.

Later in the evening when I was about to drive her, she said she'd lost her cigarettes and asked if we could take a detour and buy some, I said sure. When we arrive at the gas station her phone starts ringing, her boyfriend; "What the **** are you doing in *town x*?!"

Every damn alarm bell in my head is ringing at that. He's ****ing tracking her cellphone?! 🤨🤮

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

15 hours ago, Gromnir said:

as a grumpy and old person, we cannot help but believe that the fancy-schmancy intraweb thing all the kids talk 'bout these days may have something to do with the diminished capacity to get beyond the remember and understand portions o' bloom's taxonomy. every question may be answered with a quick google search, and not just facts neither. be directed by a lit teacher to discuss themes, symbolism and modern day relevance o' (insert a shakespeare play here) and one need only learn how to refine the appropriate search engine query. 

the internet is a fabulous and indispensable tool, but we cannot help but feel as if ez access to answers makes it more difficult to teach kids how to learn.

HA! Good Fun!

Hell yes! I liked it better when knowledge was both earned and valued!

Thomas Sowell

On 10/30/2020 at 8:47 AM, Keyrock said:

Jo Jorgensen 

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

wow. people say a beard can drastic change appearance, but we hardly recognize ms. jorgensen. 

libertarian vp candidate is spike cohen

am wondering if people voting for jorgensen/cohen is in on the joke?

HA! Good Fun!

Cohen is an idiot. It doesn't matter. As I have explained to exhaustion the point of voting for LP Presidential andidates is NOT to make them president. It's to make ballot access easier. It's to move the LP one vote closer to campaign matching funds. It's to move the party closer to major party status. It's not about THIS election. It's about the NEXT, and the one after that. 

whether that is a sound strategy or whether money would be better spent on Congressional or State races, or whether it should go to things like the Free State Projects, is irrelevant. That is not how they decided to go. That is why votes for candidates that have fifty state ballot access are NOT, I repeat NOT wasted. They help far more than one more Biden vote in California or one more Trump vote in Tennessee. If you live in a hard Red or hard Blue state you can vote for Libertarian or Green (if they ever get their s--t together) candidates with a clean conscience. 

Of course if you find both candidates equally objectionable and your personal ethics direct you to throw your support elsewhere how could that vote be wasted? Telling someone they wasted their vote really is the height of sneering arrogance isn't it? 

Anyway, this isn't the politics thread so that's the last post on it from me.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

Sitting on my porch with the Dolphins/Rams game on the radio

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

5 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Cohen is an idiot. It doesn't matter. 

whether that is a sound strategy or whether money would be better spent on Congressional or State races, or whether it should go to things like the Free State Projects, is irrelevant. That is not how they decided to go.

well yeah, cohen being a joke candidate does matter, but you decide is unimportant? is more than a few libertarians who take their party affiliation serious and have been trying for decades to convince republican and democrat friends to take the libertarian party serious. such attempts is more difficult when cohen is vp candidate. arrogant to claim cohen choice is irrelevant. 

if soundness o' the libertarian strategy is failed, or self-defeating, am thinking is kinda a noteworthy concern. is a whole lotta libertarians potential throwing away money and effort which would be better spent elsewhere? kinda a foundational concern no? as such, your declaration o' irrelevance seems kinda arrogant. 

similar, "they decided," is hardly a compelling response to an accusation o' wasted money and gd wouldn't accept such if were local government or perhaps his tax advisor or accountant who wasted money.  arrogant to claim a good libertarian should just fall in line 'cause they decided. hell, jo jorgensen were against having cohen as her running mate. am admitted losing track at this point. is libertarians, jorgensen, gd or Gromnir who is arrogant regarding the "they decided," silliness which gd would not be supporting if it were "the government," who decided?

any disagreement with gd can be described as arrogant. thank goodness am unmoved by such.  

HA! Good Fun!

14 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Musclepower you mean? /flex

I still prefer the sensation of stiffer resistance when I'm turning the steering wheel. I feel like it's easier to be consistent and gauge how much you're turning it. Plus I feel like superwoman when making those not-effortless giant circles with one hand/arm.  I AM SO BUFF.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

17 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I still prefer the sensation of stiffer resistance when I'm turning the steering wheel. I feel like it's easier to be consistent and gauge how much you're turning it. Plus I feel like superwoman when making those not-effortless giant circles with one hand/arm.  I AM SO BUFF.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

My car has three settings (comfort, neutral, sport) for the amount of resistance you want to get from your steering wheel. Unlike the other settings (transmission, "enhanced" or reduced engine noise) you can choose from I never quite understood what that one is for, but I guess I'm beginning to now. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

4 hours ago, Azdeus said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Dude needs to lay off the porn.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

When you're waiting for your spouse to do some fast thing in the office b4 shopping, and all you have is your camera phone to entertain yourself.

geese-028a.jpg

geese-029a.jpg

weeds-31.jpg

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts