What you've done today - One Life to Live

Amentep

Back to the Halloween carnival this afternoon. There are four of us there representing the VFW. Our role is general handyman, refrigeration mechanic, lifter of heavy things, and of course object lessons to children to study harder in school 😂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

25 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

Happy Birthday to me!  I survived a whole year on these boards.  There's been fun times and adversarial times but all-in-all I prefer that over circle-jerking on social media.  You learn through unpleasantness baby.

Thanks for the endurance, laughs and contribution. Building community here is important to me. I hope you and others continue to find that this is a place that offers such space!

• Like 1

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

27 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

Happy Birthday to me!  I survived a whole year on these boards.  There's been fun times and adversarial times but all-in-all I prefer that over circle-jerking on social media.  You learn through unpleasantness baby.

Happy first year :dancing:

Its always a good sign  when we make 1 year on   a forum. 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Wait it it your real birthday or your obs board birthday?

Aw hell.... Happy Birthday! (covers it either way! :lol:)

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, happy birthday, Comrade.

So, my old smoker has been working great for some time.  I love it, but it's a real pain sometimes because it's a charcoal based smoker which means I have to babysit the BBQ.  For those of you who smoke beef, pork, or whatever, you know how long that is.  So, I'm actually kind of cheap, but I want something that will manage itself a bit more, and I've considered getting a pellet smoker.  No soaking chunks.  No having an offset tray for smoking chips.  No micromanaging the smoke for hours at a time.  I see things that range from a few hundred to a few thousand.  I typically don't like to drop the coin for these things, but once I do, I tend to get as big a beast as I need.  I refuse, on principle, to spend more than two grand on it, but I also have loved this backwater community for giving me advice that has *actually* been useful.   Don't leave me hanging.  I know there are some of you who know a bit about the smoke.  Give me a couple tips about a good place to look.  I've done my research, but one to two thousand dollars is a chunk o' coin for the humble likes o' mehself.  Also, poultry lends itself to rotisserie, but not as much to smoking in my experience.  Maybe a pellet driven smoker that could smoke good poultry or waterfowl would be most welcome. 

• Thanks 1

"Not for the sake of much time..."

I slept a lot. I haven't been exercising enough (again).  I ate too many crackers/carbs this weekend even if  they were high-fiber/seed semi-"healthy" ones. Forgotten my injection a few more times off and on, again.  But I'm still fine apparently, so whatever.

Between naps I watched a few episodes of this crime/secret life/melo k-drama and remembered once again that Lee Joon Gi is an excellent dramatic actor (he's just not often in series I'm interested in) but man does he need to gain weight. I have a difficult time believing him in scenes requiring physical beat-downs (swords are ok). Even I could probably toss him across a room.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

5 hours ago, MedicineDan said:

Yeah, happy birthday, Comrade.

So, my old smoker has been working great for some time.  I love it, but it's a real pain sometimes because it's a charcoal based smoker which means I have to babysit the BBQ.  For those of you who smoke beef, pork, or whatever, you know how long that is.  So, I'm actually kind of cheap, but I want something that will manage itself a bit more, and I've considered getting a pellet smoker.  No soaking chunks.  No having an offset tray for smoking chips.  No micromanaging the smoke for hours at a time.  I see things that range from a few hundred to a few thousand.  I typically don't like to drop the coin for these things, but once I do, I tend to get as big a beast as I need.  I refuse, on principle, to spend more than two grand on it, but I also have loved this backwater community for giving me advice that has *actually* been useful.   Don't leave me hanging.  I know there are some of you who know a bit about the smoke.  Give me a couple tips about a good place to look.  I've done my research, but one to two thousand dollars is a chunk o' coin for the humble likes o' mehself.  Also, poultry lends itself to rotisserie, but not as much to smoking in my experience.  Maybe a pellet driven smoker that could smoke good poultry or waterfowl would be most welcome. 

Pellet smokers work well enough. My only grief with them is you go through a lot of the wood pellets. They are small so you don’t get much out of them. Master Built electric smoker’s sound like they might be what you’re looking for.

I have a sheet iron grill with the smoke box attached to it. Like you said it requires supervision when in use. But for me that’s half the enjoyment.

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I tried to change a tire on our old truck that just mysteriously exploded (it was old, and the side walls basically just blew out.) Getting the spare to drop from underneath the back was the first issue. I needed a special tool. I assumed I needed a traditional long tire iron, but all I had was a cross iron. Then I tried to loosen up the lug nuts and failed miserably. After about an hour of messing with it, I gave up and called roadside service.

Funny part is the guy shows up and doesn't have a tire iron. So we dig around in my truck a bit and find this weird tool for dropping the spare. It was under the passenger seats, and I'd been digging in the tool boxes. Doh!

Then he loosened the lug nuts up, changed the tire in about 5 minutes, and confiscated my man card. ;( 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Pellet smokers work well enough. My only grief with them is you go through a lot of the wood pellets. They are small so you don’t get much out of them. Master Built electric smoker’s sound like they might be what you’re looking for.

I have a sheet iron grill with the smoke box attached to it. Like you said it requires supervision when in use. But for me that’s half the enjoyment.

I love my Traeger grill but it's just like you said, those pellets go fast. 

Free games updated 3/4/21

Got called in to work extra. Instead of starting at 11.45 to 21, I'm workin 10 to 21. (In 9½ hours.)

Now I'm not going to get any proper sleep, I'm going to be worried about oversleeping. >_<

Edit; Also, I remembered that I forgot my pizza and soda in the car. *Looks at thermometer* So that'll be ice and cold.

/bow

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

So many supermarkets can't be wrong, frozen pizza is good for you! 😇

I've been eating enough antibiotics lately to keep an entire meadow full of dairy cows healthy 😖

Another 5 days says the doctor. Ah well. Nom nom nom... 💊

At least the ugly red and purple stripes leading from my foot up to my hip has receded, barely visible anymore

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Networking oddities at home have me pulling my hair out.  Occasionally the AP just stops broadcasting a signal, router has lights flashing and doesn't look like it's in trouble, but have to restart the whole router for it to work.  So need to talk to tech support which is fun.  Maybe will swap back the old crappy router for now

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I either have bad allergies or a mild cold. Or Corvid. Or a zombie virus.

Also, feeling rather depressed today.  Blargh.  Time for some fave sad-wallow shows.

• Sad 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Managed to take a tumble of the work tractor today, caught myself in the fall on both of my elbows, the right one got a small gash but is swollen like all hell, the left one still hasn't stopped bleeding but it's quite small.

• Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

@Azdeustake my word for it... all it takes is a little injury to a toe 😂

Hope you'll be alright mate 👍

I was sitting here looking at some of the stuff I had unpacked over the weekend. Including a very obsolete desktop PC. I tossed out the innards as it was state of the art 6-7 years ago, but the casing and psu are still good (A Lian-Li PC-D800 and a 1200w psu). Since I can fit about 20 hdd's into the giant case I was toying with the idea of just buying the cheapest mb, cpu and ram I can get and fill it up with bulk drives for some local storage. Got a bunch of pci cards with several sata2 controllers, so can probably put in at least a dozen drives or more 🤔

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Gorth said:

I was sitting here looking at some of the stuff I had unpacked over the weekend. Including a very obsolete desktop PC. I tossed out the innards as it was state of the art 6-7 years ago, but the casing and psu are still good (A Lian-Li PC-D800 and a 1200w psu). Since I can fit about 20 hdd's into the giant case I was toying with the idea of just buying the cheapest mb, cpu and ram I can get and fill it up with bulk drives for some local storage. Got a bunch of pci cards with several sata2 controllers, so can probably put in at least a dozen drives or more 🤔

Why such a large PSU ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

10 hours ago, Gorth said:

Haha, yeah! I was quickly there with antiseptics and waterproof bandaids before I got back to work. I was quite distracted by the pain from the elbows and didn't notice the like 8cm gash in the hip until a little bit after I came home and had sat for a while by the computer. Went to stand up and noticed that the pants were rather sticky! I had a tetanus shot from when I broke my finger though, and some chlorhexidine cleaning later it looks mostly fine now except some mild bruising. We'll see if it's better tomorrow :)

Thank you!

45 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Why such a large PSU ?

He probably had a Radeon 295x! 😂

10/23/2077. Never forget!

😆

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

I have to work this weekend so I wont be doing anything exciting but I do plan on going for my walks and making a cheese fondue on  Sunday 🧀

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

10/23/2077. Never forget!

😆

Star Citizen's release date?

7 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Star Citizen's release date?

I am shocked. And I am disappointed. I am giving you exactly 10 minutes to figure out your error and correct it before I report you to Fio for ignoble dismissal from this community!  😂

• Haha 2

Thomas Sowell