What you've done today - One Life to Live

Amentep

12 hours ago, rjshae said:

We had a local windstorm here and lost the power a couple of times. There's nothing quite like a power outage to make you realize how dependent you've become on electricity. There was nothing to do but read a book and take a walk.

That's why you always keep your tablet loaded with a few (offline) games and fully charged.  :shifty:

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

7 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

That's why you always keep your tablet loaded with a few (offline) games and fully charged.  :shifty:

It's funny, I love reading books, but for some reason - whenever there's a thunderstorm or power outage I really just want to be on my computer and not read. >_<

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

3 hours ago, Azdeus said:

It's funny, I love reading books, but for some reason - whenever there's a thunderstorm or power outage I really just want to be on my computer and not read. >_<

Sometimes, when you can't it makes you want:lol:

I still like reading but my hands/thumbs no longer like the "book claw" position so it's difficult to read for long, thus it's hard for me to get into/finish them. I could use hardcovers but then I need reading glasses and a book holder (so I don't get a crick in my neck) etc. Same for ebooks/tablet, really, so I haven't bothered with ebooks yet.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

14 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Sometimes, when you can't it makes you want:lol:

I still like reading but my hands no longer like the "book claw" position so it's difficult to read for long so it's hard for me to get into/finish them. I could use hardcovers but then I need reading glasses and a book holder (so I don't get a crick in my neck) etc. 

Belly position 😁👌

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

3 hours ago, Azdeus said:

one o' our dogs has become increasing neurotic 'bout house rattling bass as she has gotten older. literal has gotten worse every year.

neurotic is so understating.

we do not see thunderstorms often where we live. lucky. however, heavy wind and rain is enough to make the poor pup terrified. get that frequent during winter. if a large plane flies overhead? is now enough to make her shiver uncontrollable and urinate. 

we have a fan with obnoxious high decibels o' noise production.  learned to sleep with the fan during the hot summer months but am serious considering keeping the fan running all night long and perhaps 24/7 just to keep our dog from going crazy. crazier.

am picturing our self this winter with the world's loudest home use fan aimed at the ceiling and Gromnir wearing noise canceling headphones while silent praying our dog don't notice the rain on our metal roof.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

Belly position 😁👌

Then I either get sore elbows and/or soreness from holding my neck up.
I can't lie on my belly for long w/out wanting to prop up on an elbow or roll to the side instead.  It's neck-uncomfy and most of us females have something that kind of gets in the way of that. 😛  I don't know how hubby sleeps on belly with arms crossed under/above his head. So uncomfortable.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Sunny is a sweet dog. But she is dumber than a box of crayons. She has lived here for seven years now. And after all that time she still does not know that the front door and back door lead to the same house. If she goes out the back door and ends up in the front yard she will walk all the way around the house to come back in through the back door. If I stand in the front door with it open and call her she will run all the way around to the back door to come in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

One of my kittens (Lola) must have tried to eat a wasp and got stung in her upper lip. I noticed that she was acting weird (and her sister Evie was doting over her) so I went to take a look and her top left lip was hilariously swollen. I held her for a little while and pet her until she calmed down. Around 90 minutes later the swelling was gone like it never happened. 👍

• Like 3

19 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Then I either get sore elbows and/or soreness from holding my neck up.
I can't lie on my belly for long w/out wanting to prop up on an elbow or roll to the side instead.  It's neck-uncomfy and most of us females have something that kind of gets in the way of that. 😛  I don't know how hubby sleeps on belly with arms crossed under/above his head. So uncomfortable.

Ah, I don't really have that problem, I either stick my pillow underneath the chin and that is usually good enough, or use my elbows :)

Yeah, resting on the chest is super uncomfortable 😂 I've got plenty of experience there myself 😄

I've never understood people sleeping on their front though...

21 hours ago, Gromnir said:

one o' our dogs has become increasing neurotic 'bout house rattling bass as she has gotten older. literal has gotten worse every year.

neurotic is so understating.

we do not see thunderstorms often where we live. lucky. however, heavy wind and rain is enough to make the poor pup terrified. get that frequent during winter. if a large plane flies overhead? is now enough to make her shiver uncontrollable and urinate. 

we have a fan with obnoxious high decibels o' noise production.  learned to sleep with the fan during the hot summer months but am serious considering keeping the fan running all night long and perhaps 24/7 just to keep our dog from going crazy. crazier.

am picturing our self this winter with the world's loudest home use fan aimed at the ceiling and Gromnir wearing noise canceling headphones while silent praying our dog don't notice the rain on our metal roof.

HA! Good Fun!

The dog we used to have was terrified of fireworks and thunderstorms, but she was A-ok with airplanes since we live underneath an apporach path for an airfield. Part of me, as horrible as it is, love the corona lockdown, because it's been almost always dead silent now, when sometimes before there were airplanes overhead. I'm not looking forward to them starting full on again.

Edited by Azdeus

I hurt my big toe a few weeks ago... nothing broken, but very painful. It split the tissue as well as dislodged the nail. Yeah, ouch 😖

But, it eventually grew a little less painful and I could walk around again, even if limping badly on my right leg. Then about a week ago, my toe suddenly started hurting again. As did the rest of my body. Then came the fever and completely knocked me out last weekend. Could do nothing, just lying on top of my bed, shivering like a puppy, unable to get warm. First I though, crap, Covid? Now? They ain't no covid near where I live 🤔

Since I didn't sleep at all for 48 hours, I eventually crashed completely Monday, slept until evening. Noticed a faint red rash on my lower leg, but fell asleep again and woke up Tuesday around 11am. Now the rash was gone. Instead my foot had swollen up and my leg had turned an unhealthy red and purple from the knee down. Besides the ugly scenery, the pain was excruciating, like someone hammering nails into the thing flesh on your lower leg and the skin feeling waaaay too tight for my leg.

Yeah, time to call the doctor and see if I could get an appointment. He was out of town though, so couldn't get him to check if before Thursday. He spent a lot of time telling me off for not going to hospital straight away 😂

And then he sent me off to the hospital. Currently eating some 500mg whatever antibiotics 4 times a day. Apparently I cut it a bit close before it turned septic and lethal. The stuff seems to work now, pain is less excruciating today and some of the purple at least seems to have receded.

All because of a stupid little toe injury.

• Gasp! 3
  • Sad 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

He spent a lot of time telling me off for not going to hospital straight away

I love it when docs do this, as if they've never thought to themselves "it'll get better on its own".  Just a rash, just a back/belly ache, bug bite, cold, bad clams, screwdriver slipped, etc.  :lol:  We're so used to our bodies doing such a good job most of the time of recovering if we give it just a little bit more time, one more day etc

Glad you called/got treatment in time and it seems to be getting better.  8)💗

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's been near three weeks since I last left the house. Other than to get the mail but that really doesn't count. Today I'm not only goung out I'm going to interact with... (shuuder) people! :lol:

Some of the local organizations are having a "halloween carinival" for kids in town. Going to help out today. I considered bringing Sunny but probably better not to. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Cool down is happening here in the centre of North America. Leaves have mostly fallen and though it's a lazy feeling day, will likely waddle for a 10k and then hunker down with some comfort food and maybe see what's happening on Prime or Netwflix ...

• Like 1

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

11 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

It's been near three weeks since I last left the house. Other than to get the mail but that really doesn't count. Today I'm not only goung out I'm going to interact with... (shuuder) people! :lol:

Some of the local organizations are having a "halloween carinival" for kids in town. Going to help out today. I considered bringing Sunny but probably better not to. 

Hope the outing was enjoyable @Guard Dog

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

13 hours ago, Gorth said:

I hurt my big toe a few weeks ago... nothing broken, but very painful. It split the tissue as well as dislodged the nail. Yeah, ouch 😖

But, it eventually grew a little less painful and I could walk around again, even if limping badly on my right leg. Then about a week ago, my toe suddenly started hurting again. As did the rest of my body. Then came the fever and completely knocked me out last weekend. Could do nothing, just lying on top of my bed, shivering like a puppy, unable to get warm. First I though, crap, Covid? Now? They ain't no covid near where I live 🤔

Since I didn't sleep at all for 48 hours, I eventually crashed completely Monday, slept until evening. Noticed a faint red rash on my lower leg, but fell asleep again and woke up Tuesday around 11am. Now the rash was gone. Instead my foot had swollen up and my leg had turned an unhealthy red and purple from the knee down. Besides the ugly scenery, the pain was excruciating, like someone hammering nails into the thing flesh on your lower leg and the skin feeling waaaay too tight for my leg.

Yeah, time to call the doctor and see if I could get an appointment. He was out of town though, so couldn't get him to check if before Thursday. He spent a lot of time telling me off for not going to hospital straight away 😂

And then he sent me off to the hospital. Currently eating some 500mg whatever antibiotics 4 times a day. Apparently I cut it a bit close before it turned septic and lethal. The stuff seems to work now, pain is less excruciating today and some of the purple at least seems to have receded.

Hope you're on the mend @Gorth!

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

14 hours ago, Gorth said:

Gothfuscious I am shocked by this story. Its impact has not been one of a little toe injury and Im very surprised you did not go  to a doctor sooner ....why you would put yourself through such an ordeal is beyond me but the most important point is you did finally go to the doctor but you did seem to  leave it to the last minute :biggrin:, for example there must be other doctors you can see if your doctor is unavailable. I also have a view around "preferred doctor " but I would not wait for something this serious

At our age Gorthfuscious its not worth the potential issue or possible physiological damage to ignore this type of health  problem ;)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The weather outside took a dive so I've been drinking a texas 100 proof bourbon with my fiance and watching movies. We had wings last night so we're going healthier today with tabbouleh and some grilled chicken, which I rather think I cooked pretty well.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

*My pc suddenly starts making these constant wounded, weird, low-pitched beeps*
---check temps, check other stats, all seems fine, but a warning sound of some kind?
---restart PC.  Keeps beeping. Fully shut down.  Beep is still going. Ok...
---unplug the PSU power cable. Still beeping. wtf?
---roam around the desk looking at other potentials and finally ...

...it was the little portable alarm clock I have on my desk.  🤓  🤪
I must've hit the top button accidentally at some point (making the alarm functional) and a low battery was making the beep really sound weird/unrecognizable. 

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, BruceVC said:

At our age Gorthfuscious its not worth the potential issue or possible physiological damage to ignore this type of health  problem ;)

Too late mate, too late 😂

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

Too late mate, too late 😂

I have to share something , I am raising a valid concern around not going to a doctor early but 2 weeks ago I had Gastro which lasted 3 days which was the longest I have ever had gastro.....I should have gone to the doctor on day 2 but I kind of try not to go to Doctors unless I am very sick or I need a proper doctors script 

So even though you ailment was much worse than my 3 days of gastro I had real symptoms. I had no appetite, stomach cramps, restless sleep and nausea ....yet I just soldered on without going to a doctor 

So I am also naughty sometimes about going to the doctor  :-

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

50 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

So I am also naughty sometimes about going to the doctor  :-

Do you have medical insurance? If so, time to let them pay for something ;)

Besides, bowel cancer is a major killer of old males world wide. Wouldn't hurt starting on the annual screening process.

• Thanks 1

I have had

35 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Besides, bowel cancer is a major killer of old males world wide. Wouldn't hurt starting on the annual screening process.

I have experienced the race car metaphor in this regard ... getting under the hood helps. Do it, lest when stuff gets gummed up, it's too late. Wasn't all that comforting in my experience, but it was, nonetheless, effective fwiiw!

• Like 1

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

4 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Besides, bowel cancer is a major killer of old males world wide.

Yes I do have very comprehensive Medical Aid and I have a Medical savings account which pays for over the counter and GP visits 

So the reason I didnt go to the doctor was not because of money it was because I have some reservations around the virus at the doctors rooms and also I was just lazy but more I felt I could ignore the symptoms and I would get better :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

John Milton