What you've done today - One Life to Live

Amentep

2 hours ago, melkathi said:

I went to the movies yesterday and while I was queuing (wearing mask, keeping distances) the guy behind me struck up conversation. Which basically ended with him explaining to me that he is 27 years old, hasn't worked a day in his life and currently is just lazying about, waiting for his grandmother to die so he can rent out her apartment. But he really thinks young people should pay more attention at school, because waiting for your grandmother to die is boring. And oh, is that a poster of James Dean? He died in a car crash. A Porsche. It was a Porsche right? Of course it was a Porsche - Porsches are cursed after all. Obviously they are cursed, James Dean died in one!

Step away, slooooowly...

• Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I got a bit of tax money back the other day, so decided to upgrade my old gfx card. Out went the old ti1050 and in went a slightly larger rdx2070. Some noticeable performance improvements 😎

(of course it sounds much simpler than it was actually getting it to fit inside the case)

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Gorth said:

I got a bit of tax money back the other day, so decided to upgrade my old gfx card. Out went the old ti1050 and in went a slightly larger rdx2070. Some noticeable performance improvements 😎

(of course it sounds much simpler than it was actually getting it to fit inside the case)

Oy, tell me about it. The last time I upgraded my graphics card I ended up having to bend the frame of my case a bit. Quite nothing like having to apply force near or on the most expensive parts in your computer. ;)

• Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

People are funny, at the grocery store there is a queue for all the registers due to COVID measures.  Some guy skipped the line of ~20 people as he had two beers, the teenaged girl at the front tries to tell him to stop and he just straight up ignores her.  A teenaged guy  comes up and tells him to go to the back of the line as well, and he complies.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

10 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I broke my middle toe. Ouch. Nothing exciting, just banged it into my bedframe. Now it is blue and swollen.

You have had the worst luck lately!  Feel better

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It turns out my two furry girls (kittens) go totally ape for beef jerky! They can somehow smell it across the house (or hear the bag crinkling) and come charging into the room at full speed. :lol: I only give them a few pea size pieces each as my wife is (probably rightly) concerned that the sodium is too high for them. Canned tuna and sardines are a big hit too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i got a new screen. the main reason i wanted to change my old one is because it was d-sub only and i had to use a very inconvenient adapter to make it work. i looked for one with either HDMI or DP and i ran on a LG screen that was 33% off with HDMI, free sync, wide view angle and 75hz refresh (the previous was very narrow angle and 60hz). the difference in both image quality and smoothness of movement is very obvious, more than i could imagine or believe if someone told me... and most important of all: now i can check the bios

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Do you notice the difference?
mogucatpillow2.jpg

...the green line has gone down by almost one segment.
...is it being shipped by rowboat? :mellow::lol: Better be the mostest cushion-y, squishy cute-ness worth the wait (and the price tag).

• Haha 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Still working from home. State offices have not reopened yet. And as I posted earlier my home office never will reopen. What that means for me remains to be seen. Right now the theory is we continue with virtual offices with physical facilities for our district in Memphis when needed. That would not be so bad. You have to give corona credit for one thing. It has moved the Internet in the direction of realizing it’s true potential.

meanwhile in a totally non-technology related direction I’ve been looking at a method to start a fish farm on my property. It would be easy if I could redirect the creek but I can’t get around that damn state navigable waterway law. I’ve already widened a portion out of it to form a sort of little swimming pool but that’s about as far as I dare to go.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

My toe looks bad but feels fine, so I have been running regularly. In the mornings I try and get the kids out for a couple laps around the block. It is less than a mile amd takes about 6-7 minutes. Today was filled with me yelling and them crying. >_<

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Still working from home.

I'm the same way, I haven't actually been in the office for approximately six-seven months and don't know when I'll be going back.

Although even after COVID clears up I'll probably keep doing at least some work remotely.

• Like 2

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I cooked strip steak and drank quite a bit of whiskey and now I'm gonna play videogames while my fiance watches kill la kill.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I have not seen the office in 6 months.

Its all fun and games when  you're a data analyst working from home....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm beginning to be a little worried about our neighbors on one side. Nice causal couple in their 30's with a (very young) kid, don't know them well, just wave/hello at them, y'know. They were still here when I got out of the hospital but not long after they seemed to pack up for a vacation and left.  They haven't been back.  Yard is not mowed, cars are still gone, all yard furniture is there, no moving trucks or for sale ever appeared etc  (they own the house).  They could have left for work reasons or because of covid concerns or something but it's still odd. After a couple months it's feeling kind of creepy.  At least there's no .... smell coming from the house.   :unsure:

• Sad 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 10/8/2020 at 4:27 PM, LadyCrimson said:

Do you notice the difference?
mogucatpillow2.jpg

...the green line has gone down by almost one segment.
...is it being shipped by rowboat? :mellow::lol: Better be the mostest cushion-y, squishy cute-ness worth the wait (and the price tag).

A watched package never arrives. 😛

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

My (adopted) nephew was chatting with me before the 5th edition game yesterday and he was talking about how the submariner school is challenging but he feels good about it.  Then he says he'll feel proud when I pin his dolphins on him.  You know, I don't come around here all the time, but it's kind of cool to come somewhere I'm anonymous to be able to say how happy this makes me feel.  I don't want to post about it on any social media because, frankly, I'm going to convince him to let a "blood" family member do it.  I think it will cause familial strife, but the idea that the kid, a naval academy graduate, thinks enough of a sorry old drunkard like me to ask is... words fail.

...And he's only one of three strapping Lads.  One passed the Bar earlier this year.  The third is doing well studying to be a paralegal.  The three of them range from Bernie Bro to "Bernie is too far to the right!"  You can imagine political discussions are lively and often heated, but I love the Lads.  Great men, one and all.  As I get older, eternal things like Country and Church start to matter to me less.  God, not the church, is my guide.  The world can, and eventually will, survive without my country.  As painful as it is to admit, we're not indispensable.  Friendship is.

EDIT:  I was a bit worried about how one statement would be understood, so I changed it to one just as true.

Edited by MedicineDan
  • Like 4

"Not for the sake of much time..."

Sunny and I walked down to the Hatchee yesterday afternoon for a little fishing. Right around sunset I caught a nice sized catfish. Guess what is for dinner tonight!

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

18 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Funny how the two things I want the most are completely sold out and virtually unavailable: The Geforce 3080 and 9mm ammunition.  What have I done to deserve this? 😂

I've been feeling the same, only about TV's I want to use in my game/pc room.  Inside walk-in stores I mean. I refuse to order big tv's online, when it's 50/50 I'll want to return/exchange but no one floor-stocks much at a time anymore.

Edited by LadyCrimson

mogucatpillow3.jpg

mogucatpillow4.jpg

...wish it was a little bit bigger but I am pleased to once again have a black cat.  Bonus: this one doesn't shed.  :cat:
...apparently Amazon's track package doesn't track all that well when they aren't the ones actually delivering it - it still says it's on its way.  :lol:

• Like 6

For breakfast I put a bag of instant oatmeal in a coffee cup and used the Keurig coffee maker for the hot water. Just one problem. I forgot to remove the K-Cup that was in there first. So I ended up with oatmeal in coffee. I tried it anyway. I figured I like coffee and I like oatmeal, maybe they will be good together.

I was wrong. Very, very wrong. 

• Gasp! 3

Thomas Sowell

We had a local windstorm here and lost the power a couple of times. There's nothing quite like a power outage to make you realize how dependent you've become on electricity. There was nothing to do but read a book and take a walk.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."