What you've done today - One Life to Live

Amentep

7 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I dont even have a FB account. :lol: My wife does so she just updates me with any "family news".

Yes and have you noticed that you are able to communicate fine and dont feel you are missing out?

But also its nice to be able to get updates from your wife if necessary ....your wife has a big family right so FB for her would be useful and makes sense purely from a update on photos and news 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

11 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I dont even have a FB account. :lol: My wife does so she just updates me with any "family news".

I don't, but Ernesto Gutierrez does.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

12 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I don't either.  People can call me if they want me to know about family news.  I *might* even pick up the phone!

1 minute ago, BruceVC said:

Yes and have you noticed that you are able to communicate fine and dont feel you are missing out?

How ever did people get by before social media was invented...? 😛 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

7 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I don't either.  People can call me if they want me to know about family news.  I *might* even pick up the phone!

How ever did people get by before social media was invented...? 😛 

But phoning  someone for a proper chat is what I always do for an update, I do use WhatsApp and LinkedIn but those are really convenient 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

People can call me if they want me to know about family news.  I *might* even pick up the phone!

Man, you are old.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Better than you threatening me with....Axe. :p

38 minutes ago, majestic said:

Want to hear the funniest support call I ever got? I swear 'tis true.

Phone rings, I pick up and the guy says: "Every time I delete an e-mail it's gone afterwards, why, is this normal?"

I had no idea what to reply without making this even more awkward than it was, so I said I'd call the Exchange administrator and ask. Hung up, laugned a couple of minutes, then called back and told him that this indeed is the intended behaviour of the delete function in Outlook.

What he was really asking about was why the deleted items folder is purged every other day because his private mail client at home doesn't do that, so he got used to "archiving" mails by deleting them. It still requires being completely oblivious  to the meaning of the word delete but it's not the dumbest question I've ever had. Just the funniest.

The dumbest question so far was when someone called and asked why he's still missing exported orders from a client. He "told" the system to export the orders from "today" three days ago by setting a future date in the "export orders created on" date range, so they should have been in the export three days ago, right? RIGHT?

Whoever said there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers needs to spend a year in first level support. Join the dark, cynical side, get cookies... or watch your mind break. Your choice. :p

Quoted from the game news thread because, well..

Yesterday I told my replacement at work that two of our tractors needed new tyres, woke up this morning to an email that said "What dimensions are the tyres?! 😅"

I mean... it's right there, on the side of the tyre that is on the tractor.. just, read it. I'm culpable in that I taught her, but I really didn't think I'd have to teach someone with a drivers licence and a car where to look for the tyre dimensions. 🤣

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

No problems here. I honestly miss the days when peoples opinions only carried as far as their voice could travel. My SiL is a Trump supporter and I get measurably dumber every time my wife reads me one of her sisters rants. Like Amentep, I communicate mostly through phone or text. BUT...

4 hours ago, Amentep said:

...if youre not already programmed into my contact list, then I dont answer. Just a phone number popping up on my screen? Better leave a voicemail (which nobody does anymore). 

• Like 1

Did you know that (in the US) it's apparently (unofficial?) National Pizza Month?  America, the land of everything is an excuse to celebrate/party or holiday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Pizza_Month

Now excuse me while I order some pizza.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

48 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Quoted from the game news thread because, well..

Yesterday I told my replacement at work that two of our tractors needed new tyres, woke up this morning to an email that said "What dimensions are the tyres?! 😅"

I mean... it's right there, on the side of the tyre that is on the tractor.. just, read it. I'm culpable in that I taught her, but I really didn't think I'd have to teach someone with a drivers licence and a car where to look for the tyre dimensions. 🤣

Oh, well... you know. Most people who have a driving license also have no idea how to driver properly, so why are you surprised exactly? :p

• Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I suppose pic-wise it doesn't look that different but it sure is a lot more desk room for "stuff" and I no longer need a KB/M  switch, both PC's can have own KB. 

room-06.jpg

One minus is I can't walk behind desk anymore making hookup access more of a PITA but oh well.  Sadly no new TV yet since all the 49" and 50" have been sold out lately.   But see that back wall? An 75" could fit up there too (barely - door has to open).  Or at least a 65" (I'd keep the 43" desk TV then).   I am...tempted.  MOAH SCREENS.

LateEdit: Corrected screen sizes, typos. Wall-tv would be for the playstation only, most likely, which serves as my tv streaming device + console games.  Maybe I should wall mount a couple more 27" monitors on the right wall, too.  8)

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 4
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

7 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

What do you use the itty bitty one in the middle for?

Tablet - mobile slots, music/media or an extra Twitch window so I can carry it out when I leave the room. 

I don't use the 'net (socially) much these days but I think I might be too "plugged-in", regardless (you think?). It's so awesome to have started w/those tiny 1970's crt TV's and still be around during this time of hi-resolution media/access and stuff.  It's amazing hubby and I both haven't blown house fuses yet. Yeah, I need help.  :lol:

On 10/3/2020 at 9:44 AM, LadyCrimson said:

I suppose pic-wise it doesn't look that different but it sure is a lot more desk room for "stuff" and I no longer need a KB/M  switch, both PC's can have own KB. 

room-06.jpg

One minus is I can't walk behind desk anymore making hookup access more of a PITA but oh well.  Sadly no new TV yet since all the 49" and 50" have been sold out lately.   But see that back wall? An 75" could fit up there too (barely - door has to open).  Or at least a 65" (I'd keep the 43" desk TV then).   I am...tempted.  MOAH SCREENS.

LateEdit: Corrected screen sizes, typos. Wall-tv would be for the playstation only, most likely, which serves as my tv streaming device + console games.  Maybe I should wall mount a couple more 27" monitors on the right wall, too.  8)

Woah! ...and I thought I was sitting too close to the TV.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

10 hours ago, Katphood said:

Woah! ...and I thought I was sitting too close to the TV.

Is the image still clear, clean and in focus?  Then you're not too close.  8)

Reorganized my tiny closest. Tossed a lot of clothes. Next: the large cabinet in this room and the bookshelves in the living room. I've even been tossing old books (if I haven't touched/read it in 10 years, it's gone) and other such things. By the time I'm 60 (eight years from now), outside of the tech toys (pffft) I should/might be down to bare essentials.

• Haha 1

It's funny, whenever I think about upgrading anything on my computer I don't really hesitate over things like money or anything, but a while ago someone wrote a meme somewhere of a crying cat doing thumbs up with the text dissing the old computer, and now thst I've anthr...-catropomorphized my computer and now I never want to get rid of anything from it ever 🤣

4hckzc.jpg

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I've been transferring batches of mead from primary to secondary fermenters.  I went a little puree happy on the previous three, so it's been tough to clarify.  In the case of the pear, peach, and plum, I've made about as much sauce with a high alcohol content as I've made mead.  Damn it!  Live and learn.  In all seriousness, if you guys lived closer, I'd treat you to a round or two of the latest stuff I've had aging.  We could fight and argue and solve all the world's problems.  That's how it is, of course.  I'm a rather big, gregarious, and menacing looking fellow until you get to know me, but I'm softer than a Teddy bear in my heart and wouldn't even use an unkind word without serious provocation.  It would be great to sit down and sip a brew or two and come to realize that, no matter how bad this year has been, we're all brothers-in-arms.  Sisters too, Red.

"Not for the sake of much time..."

There's some crunch time with work this week, big mass of data extraction to start tomorrow so I'm trying to not think about any of it just yet.

Running through some old music, and its interesting, if I hear the various songs from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer music (Teenage FBI, Temptation Waits, I Quit, Over My Head, Virgin State of Mind, It Doesn't Matter, Wild Horses, etc) for some reason my mind goes to Shadowrun and I have the urge to dig into my old books and start messing around with character design.

If I start listening to the soundtrack of Twister (Humans Being, Virtual Reality, Talula, Darling Pretty, Melancholy Mechanics, etc) my mind jumps back to Mage the Ascension and the spark of fiddling around with paradox and probability characters....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I went to the movies yesterday and while I was queuing (wearing mask, keeping distances) the guy behind me struck up conversation. Which basically ended with him explaining to me that he is 27 years old, hasn't worked a day in his life and currently is just lazying about, waiting for his grandmother to die so he can rent out her apartment. But he really thinks young people should pay more attention at school, because waiting for your grandmother to die is boring. And oh, is that a poster of James Dean? He died in a car crash. A Porsche. It was a Porsche right? Of course it was a Porsche - Porsches are cursed after all. Obviously they are cursed, James Dean died in one!

• Gasp! 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

57 minutes ago, melkathi said:

I went to the movies yesterday and while I was queuing (wearing mask, keeping distances) the guy behind me struck up conversation. Which basically ended with him explaining to me that he is 27 years old, hasn't worked a day in his life and currently is just lazying about, waiting for his grandmother to die so he can rent out her apartment. But he really thinks young people should pay more attention at school, because waiting for your grandmother to die is boring. And oh, is that a poster of James Dean? He died in a car crash. A Porsche. It was a Porsche right? Of course it was a Porsche - Porsches are cursed after all. Obviously they are cursed, James Dean died in one!

This is why you don't talk to strangers. 😛