What you've done today - One Life to Live

Amentep

This evening I spent some time measuring for clamping desk extensions (for KB/mouse), footstools, tv's, a curved board that can rest on chair armrests, and various other things. Which as usual results in my conscious awareness of my childish height.

On the bright side, I don't have to bend over to rinse my hair in the shower and I've never hit my head on a ceiling fixture.

Edit:  unrelated - I also learned today that some non-US KFC's sell fried chicken skin.  No chicken, just the skin.  Urgh, why even. :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

16 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Edit:  unrelated - I also learned today that some non-US KFC's sell fried chicken skin.  No chicken, just the skin.  Urgh, why even. :lol:

Best part of the chicken on grilled chicken. Not sure about fried chicken skin though. Yeah, that doesn't sound too appealing.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Gotta take a break from the political stuff, although I enjoy reading the thread.  Guilty pleasure, I guess.  Anyway, two things are apparent today.  The Covid-19 craze has made it so I can't get a preceptor anywhere from LA to the High Desert to SD, the OC, and, most importantly, the IE.  I think I'm going to be forced to drop the adult and aging family.  However, at least I'll get my money back and, technically, I shouldn't be able to take it until next semester.  They let me take a pre-requisite concurrently.  Aw well, that's life.

The other thing is work related.  The wife of one of my patients has sent me a friend request on Facebook.  Now, I *really* freak out if I have a friends list greater than 40.  I like to be able to visit and disappear on my own terms.  However, that's irrelevant.  I can't have patients and their families on social media.  It's unethical and unprofessional.  She was upset about stuff last time and I stayed for about 20 minutes after attending to the patient so she could have someone with whom to talk.  Nothing untoward.  The patient was also in the room talking at the same time.  Still, the thing is, while that clearly was seen as an invitation, I can't see doing anything different.  What am I supposed to do? This is someone who also needs help.  I'll figure out some way to defuse the situation, but I can't "hang out" with patients outside of work.  It's seriously not a good arrangement.  Something I had kind of thought of in a remote sense, but now that it's in my face it's just... weird.  Good people, though, so no need to be hurtful.  Just have to figure out the best way forward.

• Like 2

"Not for the sake of much time..."

Unique experience today, learned that there are worse things in life than a stand up meeting. Those are only with 6 others, spent 3 hours on a call with 50+ people, truly was something to behold.  Countless people zoned out, so they ask for questions to be repeated, countless people answering a question with different answers so time has to be spent clarifying the question and then who knows what. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Baseball playoffs all day today. The Marlins won! It was a good day!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

8 hours ago, MedicineDan said:

Gotta take a break from the political stuff, although I enjoy reading the thread.  Guilty pleasure, I guess.  Anyway, two things are apparent today.  The Covid-19 craze has made it so I can't get a preceptor anywhere from LA to the High Desert to SD, the OC, and, most importantly, the IE.  I think I'm going to be forced to drop the adult and aging family.  However, at least I'll get my money back and, technically, I shouldn't be able to take it until next semester.  They let me take a pre-requisite concurrently.  Aw well, that's life.

The other thing is work related.  The wife of one of my patients has sent me a friend request on Facebook.  Now, I *really* freak out if I have a friends list greater than 40.  I like to be able to visit and disappear on my own terms.  However, that's irrelevant.  I can't have patients and their families on social media.  It's unethical and unprofessional.  She was upset about stuff last time and I stayed for about 20 minutes after attending to the patient so she could have someone with whom to talk.  Nothing untoward.  The patient was also in the room talking at the same time.  Still, the thing is, while that clearly was seen as an invitation, I can't see doing anything different.  What am I supposed to do? This is someone who also needs help.  I'll figure out some way to defuse the situation, but I can't "hang out" with patients outside of work.  It's seriously not a good arrangement.  Something I had kind of thought of in a remote sense, but now that it's in my face it's just... weird.  Good people, though, so no need to be hurtful.  Just have to figure out the best way forward.

You can hang with patients but you can easily separate work from someone  who is just wanting to connect on FB friendship which is not really a real relationship as you can easily ignore

I  have to be honest I feel you have a normal but acceptable responsibility  to friend her because obviously she feels the 20 minutes is a reason  to have a connection with you which is credit to you . You can be cynical and think " 20 minutes and she wants to know me.....hard to believe thats sincere " 

But you come across as a very candid and caring person so I can believe she  could form a connection, I like taking to you and Im sure after 20 minutes of chatting I would feel much closer to you :wub:.....but Im not on FB so its an unlikely scenario 

You can quickly make a judgement call on her after some assessment  on her comments and views and if you dont enjoy her general personality you just remove her because you are under no obligation to keep her as a friend 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

21 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Wouldnt simply telling her this be sufficient?

Sometimes it is but in these types of meetings you can offend someone unnecessarily....it could just be a  temporary FB connection and not anything she will participate in so why make a harmless situation uncomfortable...they have this connection in a hospital so it can be more complicated than a normal meeting with someone who wants to " friend "  you  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

50 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Sometimes it is but in these types of meetings you can offend someone unnecessarily....it could just be a  temporary FB connection and not anything she will participate in so why make a harmless situation uncomfortable...they have this connection in a hospital so it can be more complicated than a normal meeting with someone who wants to " friend "  you  

If its unethical, then its probably against the rules of his employment at the hospital.  If its against the rules of the hospital, he could get fired for it.  So better to offend them than get fired and potentially ruin any future in the field he has.

• Hmmm 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

12 minutes ago, Amentep said:

If its unethical, then its probably against the rules of his employment at the hospital.  If its against the rules of the hospital, he could get fired for it.  So better to offend them than get fired and potentially ruin any future in the field he has.

You think a hospital would enforce such draconian internal rules as " you cannot have a FB connection as a consenting adult " 

In my line of work I would  be offended by that suggestion if a customer expected that while I am working on a project because it suggests I am not able  to determine a friendship, it should be a choice that as it not really anyone's business surly ?

John Milton 

26 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

You think a hospital would enforce such draconian internal rules as " you cannot have a FB connection as a consenting adult " 

If they had such a rule, then, yes, I would expect them to enforce it.  

32 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

In my line of work I would  be offended by that suggestion if a customer expected that while I am working on a project because it suggests I am not able  to determine a friendship, it should be a choice that as it not really anyone's business surly ?

If the relationship can compromise some critical aspect of your job or your decision making process to accomplish your work, then yeah, its not just your choice. 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

16 minutes ago, Amentep said:

If they had such a rule, then, yes, I would expect them to enforce it.  

If the relationship can compromise some critical aspect of your job or your decision making process to accomplish your work, then yeah, its not just your choice. 

I would like Dan to clarify because I find it hard to believe in this time of pandemic? I imagine hospital staff are generally considered people with empathy and there are  many stories of nurses who get to spend the last 3 minutes with dying covid patients where they attempt to provide them with any final comfort....sometimes people just want to hear a moving religious hymn and you see the nurses singing this request...its very emotional and sad but also  comforting and reminds me of the kindness of humanity 

All the medical staff interviewed would often talk about extreme emotional distress medical staff are under which is much worse in times of virus increase ...now you suggesting it would a normal policy to tell those same medical staff  " you not allowed have a FB connection with any " patient 

John Milton 

I'm not clear on how you relate nurses singing to a patient in the hospital with a nurse agreeing to a relationship (platonic or not) with a patient's significant other outside of the hospital.  One carries no risk of even the appearance of impropriety.

11 hours ago, Malcador said:

Unique experience today, learned that there are worse things in life than a stand up meeting. Those are only with 6 others, spent 3 hours on a call with 50+ people, truly was something to behold.  Countless people zoned out, so they ask for questions to be repeated, countless people answering a question with different answers so time has to be spent clarifying the question and then who knows what. 

Welcome to my life. This is my classroom right now. Except instead of asking questions after zoning out, students email me for an individual explanation of what I already explained in class, and in the assignment description, and possibly even in a tutorial video that is posted with the assignment. 

I'm a bit surprised about the Facebook rule for nursing, but I have a similar policy in education. I am happy to accept you as a friend once you've graduated from High School. Granted, I only post pictures of family, food, and fitness activities. I put all my incriminating opinions on this forum. :p  

• Like 2

You should respond back to those students simply with

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

45 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I'm not clear on how you relate nurses singing to a patient in the hospital with a nurse agreeing to a relationship (platonic or not) with a patient's significant other outside of the hospital.  One carries no risk of even the appearance of impropriety.

Well firstly I thought Dan said there was nothing untoward, so you saying this is about a relationship outside a friendship which may be very inappropriate 

I thought this was simply a FB connection, which is something that  really cant be considered a normal relationship or something that cant be easily controlled ?

But maybe I am misunderstanding the issue

John Milton 

29 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I'm a bit surprised about the Facebook rule for nursing, but I have a similar policy in education. I am happy to accept you as a friend once you've graduated from High School. Granted, I only post pictures of family, food, and fitness activities. I put all my incriminating opinions on this forum. :p  

I respect the importance distinctions you feel should exist between teachers and pupils, I believe  a teacher needs to consider this

I am not sure you remember a couple of years ago I made a post about how I went to a garage to get cigarettes and in the shop I ended up meeting  these 2 pretty, teenagers maybe 17-18 laugh about a joke I made which they genuinely found funny. Anyway we chatted a bit about  life and then when I left they invited me to come smoke a quick joint which I accepted 

Now for me this was not anything even remotely sexual and I am  definitely sure they felt the same,....this was just a fleeting friendship and some weed. I didnt even think it was even remotely strange  :grin:

But when I made the post you were very shocked that a 41 old man would smoke weed with 17 year old  girls .....and I was happy to see how seriously you take your job. But the reality is I am not there father and I am not going to try to tell what is inappropriate especially when there is nothing weird about there offer. 

Anyway I remember that story and it did remind me of your post now 

John Milton 

4 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Wouldnt simply telling her this be sufficient?

Never having to do this (I've been a nurse since December), I would think so.  I want to be kind about it.  This is someone who is in some emotional distress. 

@BruceVC, it would be nuts for me to be Facebook friendies with patients and families.  What if she were to post something about her husband on my page?  There are so many chances for a HIPAA violation that it's astounding.  I think what I'll do is simply talk to my boss and set aside a little extra time after patient care to talk with both pt and wife.  It's home health and caring for patients often means caring for family too, at least in being available and talking and whatnot.  ...And, hell, since my travel down the FNP track got pushed off since I don't have a preceptor, I have a little extra time.  Home health is weird.  Frankly, I liked the hospital better.  Just couldn't do school and NOC shift very well and when my wife started working from home, it was downright impossible.  I guess I get paid more per hour now, but I'd go back to the hospital per diem in a heartbeat if I could.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MedicineDan said:

Never having to do this (I've been a nurse since December), I would think so.  I want to be kind about it.  This is someone who is in some emotional distress. 

@BruceVC, it would be nuts for me to be Facebook friendies with patients and families.  What if she were to post something about her husband on my page?  There are so many chances for a HIPAA violation that it's astounding.  I think what I'll do is simply talk to my boss and set aside a little extra time after patient care to talk with both pt and wife.  It's home health and caring for patients often means caring for family too, at least in being available and talking and whatnot.  ...And, hell, since my travel down the FNP track got pushed off since I don't have a preceptor, I have a little extra time.  Home health is weird.  Frankly, I liked the hospital better.  Just couldn't do school and NOC shift very well and when my wife started working from home, it was downright impossible.  I guess I get paid more per hour now, but I'd go back to the hospital per diem in a heartbeat if I could.

This is an interesting post  because I remember how hospitals and people can get sued for anything nowadays in the USA

And just to be clear why would it be deemed possibly offensive if she wanted to tell you something about her husband,  .....obviously in SA we dont get there legal concerns so its interesting to see what in the US would be the possible violation?

John Milton 

Facebook has literally caused nurses to get fired and, good Lord, having their licenses revoked.  Even if the wife thinks it's okay to share information, the pt might not.  Other family members might see if it she posts it on my page and tags her husband.  Seriously, Bruce, there're too many ways for this to come back to haunt me.  On the other hand, I make myself available.  Home health means getting texts and calls all the time.  In fact, I have one patient who literally called me for directions to the clinic from where he was.  Of course, he gave me the wrong clinic.  I'm even super careful about what I post on here, which is why I don't give ages or ethnicities and the like.  I mean, if I were completely anonymous, I guess I could tell stories, but there are a couple people here who know who I am and one person with whom I actually *am* a Facebook friend.  lol  Granted, having known him for... 20 years?  I trust him implicitly.  :wry grin:

Anyhow, today I'm up and looking at the various tasks I have to do and instead wasting time at Obsidz!  I need to beat feet, get the hell out of Dodge, and start ta crackin'!  Later alligator!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MedicineDan said:

Facebook has literally caused nurses to get fired and, good Lord, having their licenses revoked.  Even if the wife thinks it's okay to share information, the pt might not.  Other family members might see if it she posts it on my page and tags her husband.  Seriously, Bruce, there're too many ways for this to come back to haunt me.  On the other hand, I make myself available.  Home health means getting texts and calls all the time.  In fact, I have one patient who literally called me for directions to the clinic from where he was.  Of course, he gave me the wrong clinic.  I'm even super careful about what I post on here, which is why I don't give ages or ethnicities and the like.  I mean, if I were completely anonymous, I guess I could tell stories, but there are a couple people here who know who I am and one person with whom I actually *am* a Facebook friend.  lol  Granted, having known him for... 20 years?  I trust him implicitly.  :wry grin:

Anyhow, today I'm up and looking at the various tasks I have to do and instead wasting time at Obsidz!  I need to beat feet, get the hell out of Dodge, and start ta crackin'!  Later alligator!

Last  question is FB to blame in the sense people dont understand acceptable SM communication or is this more about how the US health department is paranoid about not getting sued so they may overreact ?

John Milton 

This why you try to make yourself hard to find on FB.  Or fake your entire identity. 😛