On 9/29/2020 at 11:53 AM, KaineParker said:

Now that I think of it, the Pawns in Dragons Dogma. It'd be one thing if they were just blank slates, but not being able to get hybrid classes really sucks.

I have 250 hr in Kingmaker, of which at least 100 (in all likelihood 200) is having the game running while I do other things.

The game is ok, but the love some folks have for it is headscratching. It's really weird to see people who hate turn-based games praise it, given that it's built on a turn-based ruleset jammed into a real time chasis. I think Deadfire is better in every way, but I guess my taste is weird.

I'd probably not be very fond of Kingmaker if I had played it in real-time (I'm not a huge fan of RTWP) but the fast majority of my time with it (which is over 600 hours...though a lot of that was just playing around with different builds to see how viable they were) was with the turn-based mod.

I generally am fine with any companions, the only one I can recall that I really disliked is Vivienne in DA: I.  I also wasn't super fond of Durance.  I don't think he was a bad character, really, but I don't think he should have been a companion (because why would you keep around someone who was so unpleasant other than that he was a companion?).  He'd have been better off as an NPC who just followed you around/showed up places where you were and gave you grief.  Though, maybe I'm just missing something about the genius of making a companion who's intentionally unlikable?  🙄

I'm almost sure there was a companion in another game that I just hated instantly, but I honestly can't recall who it was or even what game it was in, so...maybe that's a good thing.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

Though, maybe I'm just missing something about the genius of making a companion who's intentionally unlikable?  🙄

Durance is fascinating though! Better a disturbing but interesting companion, then daft, bland, generic bloke. JOIN THE CHURCH OF DURANCE!

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

I'd probably not be very fond of Kingmaker if I had played it in real-time (I'm not a huge fan of RTWP) but the fast majority of my time with it (which is over 600 hours...though a lot of that was just playing around with different builds to see how viable they were) was with the turn-based mod.

I generally am fine with any companions, the only one I can recall that I really disliked is Vivienne in DA: I.  I also wasn't super fond of Durance.  I don't think he was a bad character, really, but I don't think he should have been a companion (because why would you keep around someone who was so unpleasant other than that he was a companion?).  He'd have been better off as an NPC who just followed you around/showed up places where you were and gave you grief.  Though, maybe I'm just missing something about the genius of making a companion who's intentionally unlikable?  🙄

I'm almost sure there was a companion in another game that I just hated instantly, but I honestly can't recall who it was or even what game it was in, so...maybe that's a good thing.

Blasphemy!  You can tell him to go away.  I think story wise the reason to keep him around is that he knows a lot about the history of the dyrwood and he also knows you're a watcher the second he sees you.  He is very useful to someone who knows nothing about his/her current situation.

He is an ass though.

My favorite companions are the ones that kill everything for me so I don't have to do anything.  kappa1.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts
On 9/29/2020 at 3:45 AM, Humanoid said:

Ian for trapping me in corners and spraying me in the back with an SMG.

This... so much this! 😠

Also, some of the companions in Jagged Alliance 2 with some of their personality quirks. Just deciding they don't like the company, packing up and leaving. Where is the professional pride of mercenaries???

Edit: Honorable mention to Kai Leng, even if as mentioned above he wasn't a companion, the entire concept just felt "stupid" (and yes, just like the Malak fight on board the Leviathan in Kotor, it feels stupid beating the **** out of your enemy and wiping the floor with their bloody carcass, just for the game suddenly deciding that you have been overruled and declared the loser of the fight after trashing Kai Leng/Malak)

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Every single character from FFX ... even the character you play,

Spoiler

the only good part was when he dies.

I agree about Tristan from Kingmaker.  Also, Allistair from Dragon Age ... what a sap!

• Like 1

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

On 10/2/2020 at 5:11 AM, LadyCrimson said:

My favorite companions are the ones that kill everything for me so I don't have to do anything. 

Wait you actually like in game companions? Strange.