On 9/29/2020 at 11:53 AM, KaineParker said:

Now that I think of it, the Pawns in Dragons Dogma. It'd be one thing if they were just blank slates, but not being able to get hybrid classes really sucks.

I have 250 hr in Kingmaker, of which at least 100 (in all likelihood 200) is having the game running while I do other things.

The game is ok, but the love some folks have for it is headscratching. It's really weird to see people who hate turn-based games praise it, given that it's built on a turn-based ruleset jammed into a real time chasis. I think Deadfire is better in every way, but I guess my taste is weird.

I'd probably not be very fond of Kingmaker if I had played it in real-time (I'm not a huge fan of RTWP) but the fast majority of my time with it (which is over 600 hours...though a lot of that was just playing around with different builds to see how viable they were) was with the turn-based mod.

I generally am fine with any companions, the only one I can recall that I really disliked is Vivienne in DA: I.  I also wasn't super fond of Durance.  I don't think he was a bad character, really, but I don't think he should have been a companion (because why would you keep around someone who was so unpleasant other than that he was a companion?).  He'd have been better off as an NPC who just followed you around/showed up places where you were and gave you grief.  Though, maybe I'm just missing something about the genius of making a companion who's intentionally unlikable?  🙄

I'm almost sure there was a companion in another game that I just hated instantly, but I honestly can't recall who it was or even what game it was in, so...maybe that's a good thing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vaeliorin said:

I'd probably not be very fond of Kingmaker if I had played it in real-time (I'm not a huge fan of RTWP) but the fast majority of my time with it (which is over 600 hours...though a lot of that was just playing around with different builds to see how viable they were) was with the turn-based mod.

I generally am fine with any companions, the only one I can recall that I really disliked is Vivienne in DA: I.  I also wasn't super fond of Durance.  I don't think he was a bad character, really, but I don't think he should have been a companion (because why would you keep around someone who was so unpleasant other than that he was a companion?).  He'd have been better off as an NPC who just followed you around/showed up places where you were and gave you grief.  Though, maybe I'm just missing something about the genius of making a companion who's intentionally unlikable?  🙄

I'm almost sure there was a companion in another game that I just hated instantly, but I honestly can't recall who it was or even what game it was in, so...maybe that's a good thing.

Blasphemy!  You can tell him to go away.  I think story wise the reason to keep him around is that he knows a lot about the history of the dyrwood and he also knows you're a watcher the second he sees you.  He is very useful to someone who knows nothing about his/her current situation.

He is an ass though.

• Thanks 1

My favorite companions are the ones that kill everything for me so I don't have to do anything.  kappa1.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 9/29/2020 at 3:45 AM, Humanoid said:

Ian for trapping me in corners and spraying me in the back with an SMG.

This... so much this! 😠

Also, some of the companions in Jagged Alliance 2 with some of their personality quirks. Just deciding they don't like the company, packing up and leaving. Where is the professional pride of mercenaries???

Edit: Honorable mention to Kai Leng, even if as mentioned above he wasn't a companion, the entire concept just felt "stupid" (and yes, just like the Malak fight on board the Leviathan in Kotor, it feels stupid beating the **** out of your enemy and wiping the floor with their bloody carcass, just for the game suddenly deciding that you have been overruled and declared the loser of the fight after trashing Kai Leng/Malak)

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Every single character from FFX ... even the character you play,

Spoiler

the only good part was when he dies.

I agree about Tristan from Kingmaker.  Also, Allistair from Dragon Age ... what a sap!

• Like 1

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

• 3 weeks later...

Well Quina and Caith Sith are typical examples of love or hate characters. I feel really strange, but I have enjoyed both in my main parties 🤷‍♂️

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I don't like any of the companions in Kingmaker. Most of them are very good / fun / interesting mechanically but NONE of their stories or personalities do anything for me, and it's a shame.

I don't know how literally all of them managed to end up so boring -- the only thing I can think of is that Owlcat wrote them mostly around their Alignments and took the most boring / tropy interpretations of those alignments and gave them those characteristics...  Or sth like that.

• Like 2

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

14 hours ago, Anthonyrex said:

I can't believe no one mentioned Sera from Inquisition. Ostensibly an adult, behaving like a five year old. Just a poorly written character all around. A complete disconnect between her personality and what she's supposedly been through.

Good call! 

On 11/1/2020 at 10:09 PM, Labadal said:

No character is more weird/stupid than Quina. They are useful once you get some Blue magic spells, but their story is laughable.

FINAL FANTASY IX BRING ARTS™ EIKO CAROL & QUINA QUEN [ACTION FIGURE] |  Square Enix Store

Hideous I can't bear to even glance at it. 

Well my previous thread on Minsc got locked. I believe there's a special place in hell reserved for Minsc who is a make believe character and not even real. GOSH! Why do I even care so much. I tOtALly hate Minsc by the way. 

15 hours ago, StupidSeal said:

Well my previous thread on Minsc got locked. I believe there's a special place in hell reserved for Minsc who is a make believe character and not even real. GOSH! Why do I even care so much. I tOtALly hate Minsc by the way. 

Or maybe stop obsessing over characters from decades old vidya games, it's tough, I know, I recently got over my Jill Valentine fetish and stopped playing games running on 2mb video memory.

On 11/1/2020 at 12:01 PM, Lorfean said:

I don't like any of the companions in Kingmaker. Most of them are very good / fun / interesting mechanically but NONE of their stories or personalities do anything for me, and it's a shame.

I don't know how literally all of them managed to end up so boring -- the only thing I can think of is that Owlcat wrote them mostly around their Alignments and took the most boring / tropy interpretations of those alignments and gave them those characteristics...  Or sth like that.

Even Cephal?

8 minutes ago, majestic said:

Stop talking to yourself. :p

They need to rope in their other personalities for a battle royale.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 11/9/2020 at 9:47 AM, majestic said:

Stop talking to yourself. :p

Is the only way to have intelligent conversation.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If you want to spam, take it to off-topic.  This thread, too, seems to have outlived its usefulness.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man