What Are You Working On? And What Do You Wish You Could Make?

Currently testing changing some lines in a conversationbundle that belong to the narrator so that (Story Spoiler)

Spoiler

during the scripted interaction at the end of Ashen Maw, when your soul fragment talks to you

it will use audio files from a custom voice folder instead of the narrator. Thus far I have managed to make it so that the first line of speech is silent by changing the "SpeakerGuid": to just be a bunch of zeros, which makes me think this will be possible by replace it with the speaker GUID from the custom voice.

The problem I'm going to have to tackle is figuring out how to make this easily toggleable for the player. The ideal situation would be that selecting the voice on the Watcher would tell the game to use those files instead. Which might actually be possible, but I am not getting my hopes up.

I'll probably end up just splitting it into a seperate mod so that it can be toggled in options menu, or instructing people installing the mod to just rename the Conversations folder if they are not using the voice on their main character.

Edited by Kvellen
  • Like 3

I'm making some soulbound items to get some use out of the unused sketches in the game files- a soulbound Greatsword that looks like Burden, a Large Shield that looks like Cadu Scalth, and a helmet that looks like the Mask Of The Weyc. I took notes on the classes available to the existing soulbounds and I'm balancing the class restrictions on these so that every class in the game ends up with the same number of soulbounds available to them. I kind of went a bit overboard and started each one at Fine, gaining a quality level at each soulbound level until they end up at Mythic, with a unique effect for every class at every upgrade level. Once my data bundle for the sword got corrupted when I was almost done so I lost 20 abilities. That was an unhappy day.

I also took the Mind Grub icon from Pillars 1 and made a soulbound trinket, which binds with every class and gives you modals based on your class. I'm having trouble trying to decide what each modal should do. I've actually been looking at Grape's mods and seeing if any effects look good to steal, lol. I'm also having trouble writing lore, because I'm not much of a writer. I'm nearly done with the mod, which is the point where I typically run out of steam.

Other mods, incomplete/abandoned:

Have Party Members As Crew- have Eder and Aloth etc as sailors you can order around. I use it personally but wouldn't upload it because I can't figure out how to have the crew members die/not be visible when a party member dies or leaves. Also if the mod is uninstalled then any saves that had it installed can no longer be loaded. That isn't useful. I don't know how the game kills crew members!

Quest Consolidator- put all quests under one heading. I don't like them being broken up into a load of little subheading. Just give me a list of quests like the Elder Scrolls. I sorted them all under "Unknown Location" and it seemed to work, but I wanna play properly with it to know for sure

• Like 4

15 hours ago, house2fly said:

I also took the Mind Grub icon from Pillars 1 and made a soulbound trinket, which binds with every class and gives you modals based on your class. I'm having trouble trying to decide what each modal should do. I've actually been looking at Grape's mods and seeing if any effects look good to steal, lol.

Nice.  Take anything you want!  Although I must say that my Counterattack on Fighter doesn't seem to happen at anything near the effect's percentage rate (30%, feels like 3%!).

• 4 weeks later...

Does anybody know whether it is possible to change equipment models' offsets and how to do that?

Cloaks on female models appear to be either too low compared to their shoulders, detached from their shoulders, or both. It would be great if the offsets could be tweaked so the cloaks fit nicely like on male models.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

23 minutes ago, AndreaColombo said:

Does anybody know whether it is possible to change equipment models' offsets and how to do that?

Cloaks on female models appear to be either too low compared to their shoulders, detached from their shoulders, or both. It would be great if the offsets could be tweaked so the cloaks fit nicely like on male models.

Maybe @coralzombie knows ?

• 8 months later...

I have managed to get pretty much everything working (Preview video under the spoiler) with the mod I posted about, but have been hung up for several months now on an inconsistent audio issue with a couple of the lines.

The following video contains spoilers for a scripted interaction that leads into the final act of Deadfire, as well as mention of one of the end game decisions of Pillars of Eternity 1!

Spoiler

It might not be noticeable in the video, but the line at 1:00 and the one after are supposedly the same volume, but the former sounds quieter for some reason. This is the same across every line related to the fate of the souls in PoE1. Largely this stems from using a slightly different mic setup while recording those lines.

As mentioned in my last post the mod works by changing the SpeakerID for specific Narrator lines in the .conversationbundle of a scripted interaction. It is indeed possible for the game to actually use audio files based on the Player Character's currently selected voice set. This is done simply by replacing the "SpeakerGuid" for the lines with the unique GUID that corresponds to the Watcher ("b1a8e901-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"). This means if the Watcher is using a custom voice set that has those audio files the (Spoiler) can actually sound like the Watcher during the interaction. Additionally since no audio files are actually replaced, if the mod is disabled the audio will revert back to Ashley Johnson's narration (or silence in the case of the No Narrator mod).

The plan once I have worked out the aforementioned issues would be to add the audio files as an optional extra to my pre-existing custom voice mod, and release the modified .conversationbundle as a separate mod. That way it is easy to toggle in the options menu mod manager, and open to others to use if they want to do the same for their own custom voice mod! 😄

Edited by Kvellen
  • Like 2

I know I'll never get around to it, but I wanted to design four subclasses.
--------------
Rogue - Thief:
Gains bonuses to Rogue skills (Mechanics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth) on start and at PL intervals.

Disadvantage: Lower Fortitude or Will; receives a small incoming damage increase (5 percent?).

Because of Sleight of Hand (needless skill), it's tough to evenly assign abilities that would suit a Rogue. This would help bridge the gap. The biggest bonuses would come at PLs 7 and 9 to encourage single classing it. The disadvantages would be minor and easy for the player to manage.

----------------
Rogue - Bounty Hunter:
Gains PL bonuses to Explosives and Mechanics (+3 each seems fair since they're both lousy by default) on start and learns free abilities at PLs. These abilities would focus on ensnaring enemies, disruption, and traps.

Stuff like:

Lasso: A ranged pull effect; same as Lurkers' vine snare.
Bolas: Ranged knockdown that deals Crush damage with an Immobilized follow-up.
Fragmentation Grenade: AoE that deals best of Slash/Crush damage, has same effect as Expose Vulnerabilities. (-2 AR, -10 Deflection)
Hallucination Grenade: Aoe that inflicts Confusion, Flanked, and Shaken for a modest duration; deals small amount of Raw damage.
Black Powder Mine: Seal ability that deals Burn damage, Hobbles and Blinds enemies. Affliction duration and damage are low but the effect pulses.
Pitfall Trap: Seal ability that triggers a pulsing knockdown effect similar to Slicken but with added Piercing damage (and a shorter duration and AoE).

It would be interesting if the traps and bombs could have additional scaling from Explosives and Mechanics but I'm not sure if this is possible.

Disadvantage: Lose access to all Rogue Invisibility abilities; -15% Stride. The Bounty Hunter is always equipped with noisy, cumbersome gadgets and doo-dads.

Lay down a trap and a Seal during Stealth, then pull a vulnerable enemy into the stacks; or use group ambush tactics to set up battlefield control.

---------------
Wizard - Arcanist:
Gains +1 Wizard spell cast per PL. At PLs 7, 8, and 9, respectively gain an additional spell cast for Wizard spell levels 1, 2, and 3. +2 Arcana

Disadvantages: Cannot use Grimoires.

Pretend Rekvu's gear and Blood Mages don't exist. This is basically the D&D Sorcerer brought to Deadfire: an arcane caster naturally attuned to magic that lacks formal training: a hedge wizard. The PL bonuses would work as auto-passives per PL, so the extra casts would be granted after reaching a new PL (meaning it would get two casts at PL9 single classed, PL7 multi). Sadly, you wouldn't get to use unique spells from Grimoires so the Arcana boost is there to add scrolls into the mix.
---------------

Barbarian - Outlier:
Shout abilities gain effects used to destroy the essence of magic.
Gains "Magebane Strike" at PL2. Upgrades to "Magebane Collapse" or "Magebane Ambush" at PL 5.

Disadvantages: Loses access to Carnage and abilities that inflict or modify Carnage (Barbaric Blow, Accurate Carnage). Frenzy loses Fit inspiration. Cannot use scrolls.

All shouts gain a brief (4s base, scales with PL) beneficial suspension effect ala Arcane Dampener. The base duration is low, but I thought it ok since shouts are cheap to cast. PL 5 Shout upgrades gain a lesser Concussive Tranquilizer effect (-20 seconds to beneficial duration); PL9 upgrades enhance this to -30 seconds and apply an additional interrupt after three seconds.

Magebane Strike: Full melee attack, Interrupt on Hit, Veil Piercing, +25% damage, +10 Accuracy. Costs 2 Rage. Replaces Barbaric Blow.

Upgrades to Magebane Collapse: Full melee attack, now interrupts on Graze and removes enemy Concentration. +1 PEN. Replaces Crushing Blow.
Or Magebane Ambush: Full attack (melee or ranged), lowers duration of (flanked) enemy beneficial effects by 30. +1 PEN. Replaces Barbaric Smash.

The idea was a revamp of the Mage Slayer, which was a meme on launch and remains to this day (Eric Galad's awesome mod makes it better). Instead of strictly slaying mages, the Outlier goes after the essence of magic itself and works as a tear down class: something reserved for Wizards and Rangers in Deadfire.
-----------
Other than those, some odds and ends like merging Arcane Archer with Ghost Heart (Checoden's mod did the same with Sharpshooter) or smaller difficulty tweaks that are easy to implement.

Edited by Ophiuchus
  • Like 3

On 6/23/2021 at 7:57 PM, Kvellen said:

The following video contains spoilers for a scripted interaction that leads into the final act of Deadfire, as well as mention of one of the end game decisions of Pillars of Eternity 1!

Reveal hidden contents

Holy ****, this is just incredible. Just the idea that your soul would match your actual voice set adds so much impact to the scene, and the VA quality and how seamless it's implemented, I'm absolutely stunned. Crazy impressive.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ophiuchus said:

I know I'll never get around to it, but I wanted to design four subclasses.

Oh I love these, especially Arcanist and Outlier! Regarding unique spells, I think alongside my Grimoire Learning mod the Arcanist could get access to those 😀

I have more comments/praise on these but I've gotta run to celebrate midsummer!

• Like 1

Lol, all these massive projects and here I am trying to make Arkemyr's old robe have a dazzling lights passive that activates when you get hit and your health is low.

I'm also wondering whether it's worth having a crack at the ship game, you know... reduce cannon damage - try to stop a Junk loaded with double-bronzers from wiping out anything in two volleys. And I'd really prefer it if the Galleon was the superior vessel.

Also ship upgrades need a redo - there are plenty OF them, but their stats are too similar to one another.

Edited by Svartypops

9 hours ago, Grape_You_In_The_Mouth said:

Arkemyr's Robe:

ItemMod ID-->StatusEffect ApplyStatusEffectOnEvent, event value: OnHit, AttackTargetFilter healthOperator: LessThanOrEqualTo, HealthPercentage: 0.25, StatusEffectValueIDs: guid of your next status effect-->Dazzling Lights StatusEffect but with infinite duration

Thank you very much for this 😄

Isn't OnHit for weapons? I think OnDamaged is for being hit?

The HealthPercentage is interesting - I've copied the Shod In Faith boots from MaxQuest's Spoils of Caed Nua mod. It seems to have a different way of doing things - a status effect is required by a script instead of the healthpercentage setting. And it has a "trigger" thing - I'm getting confused. What's all this about? I'm going to go back to your message and see if I can get it to work that way.

Should it trigger an Ability on the enemy? It doesn't have a target...? ... and the Itemmod links to that instead of the status effect? It's pretty befuddling. Is there a guide for this somewhere? I'm not a beginner, but I'm not an expert.

[edit]I can't make it work.

My latest effort was this:

Item -> ItemMod -> StatusEffect -> Attack

The item appears and the text from my localization appears (ItemMod and StatusEffect).

The effect doesn't appear to trigger at all. I even removed the health percentage to make it trigger off any damage, but nothing. :( 

Oh... should it be AttackTargetOnEvent... ?

Reading your message, it's really interesting to consider - It should be possible to write a script that outputs items from a system of menus. Meh, I think it's too much work for me. Fun to consider, though.

Edited by Svartypops
  • Like 1

I'm glad that you said it worked but doesn't that combat log say that Dazzling Lights started because you hit someone else?  I thought you wanted it to start when you were hit. OnHitOrCriticallyHit is the correct event trigger for that.

Btw, the Trigger section of statuseffects is for altering the status on events.  So if you wanted to adjust the duration OnHit, you could do that.

And I was wrong to say that the Dazzling Lights should have infinite duration, that was just dumb

Edited by Grape_You_In_The_Mouth

7 hours ago, Grape_You_In_The_Mouth said:

I'm glad that you said it worked but doesn't that combat log say that Dazzling Lights started because you hit someone else?  I thought you wanted it to start when you were hit. OnHitOrCriticallyHit is the correct event trigger for that.

Btw, the Trigger section of statuseffects is for altering the status on events.  So if you wanted to adjust the duration OnHit, you could do that.

And I was wrong to say that the Dazzling Lights should have infinite duration, that was just dumb

I'll give it another test ... 
z.thumb.jpg.c4c2ac5cd86f441c6b69afba201ade8a.jpg
As you can see, the player didn't hit anybody and the pirates got dazed by the robe.

OnDamaged seems to work.. I wonder what the difference between that and OnHitOrCriticallyHit is?
Can you get hit for 0 damage? Maybe that's the difference?

Regardless, I'll change it because you state that's the correct one. :)Thanks again.

I did change the duration to infinite, as you advised, but I think the game seems to apply the duration of Arkemyrs_Dazzling_Lights_SE_Dazed and Arkemyrs_Dazzling_Lights_SE_Will, which the Attack applies and not the infinity I put in the ApplyOnEvent StatusEffect.

So to change the duration as you suggest, I'd probably have to make replicas of those two effects as well so that it doesn't interfere with the spell version (I think)?

Edited by Svartypops

OnHitOrCriticallyHit just excludes grazes, that's the difference.  OnDamaged is better, you were right there.  Another problem with OnDamaged would be it applying a lot during rapid damage ticking effects or wall spells, etc. You may want to put "hostile" instead of "default" in the attack filter so it doesn't trigger if you damage or hit yourself.  I don't know if it filters for attack hostility normally, but I don't often filter for hostile attacks so I guess it does check automatically. 

Changing the duration of dazzling lights to infinite was a dumb suggestion from me (as I mentioned before), but the ApplyOnEvent should be infinite.  You are correct that if you wanted different durations you'd have to make new copies of the spells and ideally change their guids to prevent overwrite, and change the names to avoid confusion, but you could always point to different affliction statuses if you want to save the time and work.

Edited by Grape_You_In_The_Mouth