New weapons and armor types

We have a lot of resources that could be made into new weapons and armor for the game. Here's just some ideas.

Standalone gear:

Berry Leather Vest: This is a standalone T2 piece of gear that increases your resistance to damage. as well as give a defense boost. It has the same defensive capability as the grub vest and would be awesome as we currently have no standalone chest pieces, only for head and feet.

Spider Pants: A standalone T2 piece of gear. Allows the player to jump much higher.

Gnat Facemask: This is a standalone piece of T1 gear that allows you to see in the dark but makes bugs track you from further away.

Spider Grips: A T2 attachment for the chest slot that allows you to climb up steeper surfaces but offers little protection.

Armor sets:

Petal Armor: A T1 offensive armor set made from flower petals as the main ingredient. Each piece grants a defense slightly worse than grub armor. Wearing each piece makes attacks consume less stamina. Wearing the set gives the Graceful Caress buff, allowing you to dodge an unblocked attack 30% of the time.

Dewbug Armor: A T2 defensive armor set made from aphid honeydew, sap and stinkbug parts. Each piece grants a defense on par with acorn armor. Wearing each piece gives you 1/3 poison resistance. Wearing all 3 pieces gives you the Airtight buff, which makes you immune to stinkbug gas.

Silk Armor: A T2 balance armor set made from spider silk, spider webbing and spider parts. Each piece grants a defense slightly better than acorn but worse than spider armor. Wearing each piece gives you a +10% chance to land a critical hit. Wearing all 3 pieces gives you the Webbed buff, which slows down an attacker if they land a hit on you.

Weed Armor: A T2 offensive armor set made from weed stems, spider silk and larva spikes. Each piece grants a defense on par with grub armor. Wearing each piece gives you +10% attack reach, allowing your attacks to hit targets further away. Wearing all 3 pieces gives you the Battle Ready buff, which makes regular blocking worse, but grants a higher attack power and faster attack speed on heavy weapons.

Thornberry Armor: A T2 defensive armor set made from berry leather, thorns and bombardier parts. Each piece grants a defense on par with grub armor. Wearing each piece gives you a 1/3 chance to damage the attacker if the attack is unblocked. Wearing all 3 pieces gives you the Pointy buff, which allows you to do 3x damage with spears and 10x recoil damage on perfect block.

As there are now a lot of T2 armors, spider and ladybug armor could then be classed as T3.

Weapons:

Quartzite Spear: A T2 spear made from quartizite, berry leather and a weed stem. Has slightly better attack than a regular pebblet spear, but a much longer reach.

... mre coming soon :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mdf25 said:

Gnat Facemask: This is a standalone piece of T1 gear that allows you to see in the dark but makes bugs track you from further away.

Spider Grips: A T2 attachment for the chest slot that allows you to climb up steeper surfaces but offers little protection.

These 2 i don't get.  why would a gnat mask make bugs track you?  they don't track now, except for the wolf spider for a short distance.

Spider grips on the chest? shouldn't that be gloves/feet?  what gives the spider it's climbing ability is the tiny claws at the end of it's legs.  this being a chest piece just confuses me.  

The other armor sets are a bit wild and crazy for the game in my opinion,  except the thornberry armor, that's been mentioned (but not named that i recall) before, the idea then was it works like thorn armor in other games, damaging the attacker.

I like the spear, i always thought quartzite should be tier 3 for weapons, would make more sense than candy mint :)

Xbox One X

Was thinking spider grips as chest as that covers chest and arms. Visually you would see it add covering to the arms.

Gnats are quite easy prey so thought if you look like a gnat then the hostile bugs will be more interested. I suppose by track i meant aggro from further away as opposed to wolf spider tracking.

I like off the wall playstyles personally, high risk high reward type of thing :)

• Like 1

I really like the quartzite spear idea. I can see quartzite being used for a variety of tier 2 upgraded versions of existing tools. I'll be honest; I fail to see how insect carcases make for sturdier material than solid wood and stone.

A longer spear would be a real game-changer combat-wise; you could use the length of the spear to prevent the enemy from closing the distance without running the risk of impaling themselves on the spear.

I can also see weed stems being used to make longer "war" bows; their stiffness would make for high draw weight, and their length would require larger arrows for ammunition; perhaps even the size of pebblet spears. Frankly, I don't understand how our dinky sprig bow and thistle arrows are able to pierce anything with a hardened exoskeleton (ladybugs, ants, and weevils).

You could also make arrows from weed stem pieces, quartzite for tips, woven webbing and feathers. Could be the T3 one where you'd need to place weed stems through a sawmill workstation to turn them into usable consistent pieces.

A spear using a weed stem shaft would be at least as long as a gladiator spear:

romans_gladiator_spear_224470.jpg.75f61fcdb0ffea0dc312abbef6be2f0c.jpg

As a melee weapon, it would likely require both hands, which would change up how combat works, as explained in-depth here. An interesting fact about long, two-handed spears is that they are very useful against cavalry; that is, enemies charging at you on horses. This would translate well into fighting many of the arthropods in Grounded.