Hedge Zone suggestions

Currently it seems that the next update will feature an expansion to the hedge zone. While I am excited by what I've seen so far, there are a few issues I see with the hedge zone

1; lack of resources.

Aside from spiderwebs, there aren't any crafting resources to be found on the hedge Zone's branches. This makes base building particularly challenging, as not only do your resources need to be imported, but you also have to do a lot of climbing while hauling, which is a real hassle.  There should be  local resources you can harvest as crafting material. For instance, that moss looks like a good way to get plant fiber. Those leaves would make a great substitute for grass. Maybe add small branches that can be chopped up to make logs. For crafting, perhaps an alternative recipe for bandages that uses berry juice.

2. Climbing (and falling)

Currently, there are only a few ways to get up to the branches from the ground. This means slipping and falling will take a lot of legwork to recover from. Others have suggested rope ladders, which I agree would be an excellent solution for the problem. Perhaps there can even be pre-built rope ladders you can find and lower as you go along.

i don't think the challenge of getting into the branches over to the bird bath and broodmother should be changed, to give you more climbing points to make it easier.  It's supposed to be a challenge and if you fall you should have to run back to the start.  It makes you pay attention and be more aware.

That said, maybe they could make it so once you get to the birdbath or broodmother that first time, that unlocks the option to create ladders at various points to aid getting there again.  i do agree that once you've made the run and know the way, it is tedious to get back there if you do happen to fall for whatever reason.

And yes we need building materials in that area.  it's taken forever to build a spiral staircase around the birdbath to get up there, and we need slanted fences to act as railings,  there's a few times i looked away for something and fell off my stairs as i was running up and while building it.  maybe this week i'll have it completed. :)

Xbox One X

1 hour ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

i don't think the challenge of getting into the branches over to the bird bath and broodmother should be changed, to give you more climbing points to make it easier.  It's supposed to be a challenge and if you fall you should have to run back to the start.  It makes you pay attention and be more aware.

That said, maybe they could make it so once you get to the birdbath or broodmother that first time, that unlocks the option to create ladders at various points to aid getting there again.  i do agree that once you've made the run and know the way, it is tedious to get back there if you do happen to fall for whatever reason.

And yes we need building materials in that area.  it's taken forever to build a spiral staircase around the birdbath to get up there, and we need slanted fences to act as railings,  there's a few times i looked away for something and fell off my stairs as i was running up and while building it.  maybe this week i'll have it completed. :)

Ladders would be an amazing addition.  With the new Zipline I have been working on building a super tall tower (I think I'm 20 floors up now) but its starting to get real annoying having to climb all those stairs each time.  Or now that we have thread from the spinner perhaps we could add winches or pullies.....

2 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

That's why I proposed the idea of pre-built, rolled up rope ladders (presumably made by the same people who made the labs) that you let down by interacting with them. That would essentially be a "checkpoint," much like the building ladder suggestion you proposed.

Hauling building materials into the hedge is not only tedious, but also risky, due to the spiders, not to mention the number of areas you can't bring them to now because there's now way of walking there. This gave me an idea for a special device or BURGL upgrade that would basically add straps to your backpack that you can transfer hauled items to, so that you can swim, glide, and climb without dropping them.

Edited by Gearhart

3 hours ago, Gearhart said:

That's why I proposed the idea of pre-built, rolled up rope ladders (presumably made by the same people who made the labs) that you let down by interacting with them. That would essentially be a "checkpoint," much like the building ladder suggestion you proposed.

Hauling building materials into the hedge is not only tedious, but also risky, due to the spiders, not to mention the number of areas you can't bring them to now because there's now way of walking there. This gave me an idea for a special device or BURGL upgrade that would basically add straps to your backpack that you can transfer hauled items to, so that you can swim, glide, and climb without dropping them.

checkpoint could work.

I get no spiders in my hedge :(  i killed them all and they stayed away from fear i guess.

I was hoping we'd get a raft to craft once they make the stems float, then we could transport a pallet of stems easily across the flooded area to the hedge.

the backpack idea is interesting, not sure how that'd work with stems since they're about twice our length maybe,  planks i can imagine it with.

Xbox One X

1 hour ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

checkpoint could work.

I get no spiders in my hedge :(  i killed them all and they stayed away from fear i guess.

I was hoping we'd get a raft to craft once they make the stems float, then we could transport a pallet of stems easily across the flooded area to the hedge.

the backpack idea is interesting, not sure how that'd work with stems since they're about twice our length maybe,  planks i can imagine it with.

They'd be sideways going across (left to right). You may only be able to go through doors sideways, but it shouldn't put any strain on you, seeing as you can carry them in just one arm.

13 hours ago, Gearhart said:

They'd be sideways going across (left to right). You may only be able to go through doors sideways, but it shouldn't put any strain on you, seeing as you can carry them in just one arm.

yeah, that'd severely limit where you could go though being that wide, unless they put in the animation to turn sideways through all the grass stalks, which to me would just be too cumbersome and awkward.  You could put on the ant armor and carry the 8 (or 10 with the buff) probably twice as fast if not more.

Xbox One X

3 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

yeah, that'd severely limit where you could go though being that wide, unless they put in the animation to turn sideways through all the grass stalks, which to me would just be too cumbersome and awkward.  You could put on the ant armor and carry the 8 (or 10 with the buff) probably twice as fast if not more.

Assuming that the devs decide to code "packed" stems to physically interact with the world in the first place.