Fave Classic/Old Game

Dr DC Fate

Which game or games which are old or classic do you still play and enjoy to this day and how many hours you have on that game or estimated hours 

Edited by Dr DC Fate

I used to be an adventurer like you.Then i took an arrow in the knee

22 minutes ago, Dr DC Fate said:

Which game or games which are old or classic do you still play and enjoy to this day and how many hours you have on that game 

Hours... no idea. These games where there long before game launchers started tracking hours. Lets just say "lots"

Still playing Master of Iron 2 (as late as this week), War in Russia (today) and the old Tomb Raider (the original, not the awful remake) a few weeks ago. Next up when done with War in Russia is probably X-Com3: Apocalypse. Only game that gives Jagged Alliance 2 a run for its money when it comes to tactical combat and destructible terrain. No, don't even get me started on how much I hate the "new" X-Com games 😂

Edit: I wasn't sure if this was a pc/console only thing, but if you count old 8 and 16 bit computers, add a few classics that I play regularly on emulators. Mechwarrior was my favourite Amiga game and Battlecruiser from SSI still get me playing the Battle of Jutland as both the German and British side in the various scenarios

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Hours... no idea. These games where there long before game launchers started tracking hours. Lets just say "lots"

Still playing Master of Iron 2 (as late as this week), War in Russia (today) and the old Tomb Raider (the original, not the awful remake) a few weeks ago. Next up when done with War in Russia is probably X-Com3: Apocalypse. Only game that gives Jagged Alliance 2 a run for its money when it comes to tactical combat and destructible terrain. No, don't even get me started on how much I hate the "new" X-Com games 😂

😆 the last tomb raider i played was on my Game Boy colour never got in to any of the others 

• Like 1

Mega Man 2 on the NES. Donkey Kong Country on the SNES... the first X-COM games on PC.

JA2 is probably also up there.

If we expand the the late nineties we get two of the best games ever: Zelda: The Ocarina of Time and Planescape: Torment. Although I don't replay either. Feels like blasphemy to do so.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

2 hours ago, majestic said:

Mega Man 2 on the NES. Donkey Kong Country on the SNES... the first X-COM games on PC.

JA2 is probably also up there.

If we expand the the late nineties we get two of the best games ever: Zelda: The Ocarina of Time and Planescape: Torment. Although I don't replay either. Feels like blasphemy to do so.

Any game any year  :) which ever is your favorite :)

I still play Star Control 2 (or the free UQM version anyway since I lost my discs long ago) from time to time.

Also Doom, but that's mostly with the Brutal Doom mod so that probably doesn't count as classic.

• Like 4

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

54 minutes ago, 213374U said:

I still play Star Control 2 (or the free UQM version anyway since I lost my discs long ago) from time to time.

Also Doom, but that's mostly with the Brutal Doom mod so that probably doesn't count as classic.

But do you play frungy?

And do you cheat at frungy?

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

50 minutes ago, 213374U said:

Even at the risk of sounding like SonicMage117 StupidSeal here them early 3D Shooters with no innate mouse look are hard to play these days.

So go ahead and count them as classic even with with mods. I wouldn't play say Dark Forces without the upgraded engine to have mouse look. Sure it is strictly speaking not necessary because it was developed without mouse look in mind after all but ugh. That's like going back to tank controls in early survival horror games.

Oh, that brings me to another classic that I love and replay every now and then: Alone in the Dark. Graphics haven't aged too well but the atmosphere is still tight.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

6 hours ago, Dr DC Fate said:

Which game or games which are old or classic do you still play and enjoy to this day and how many hours you have on that game or estimated hours 

Not really "classic" I guess but I make sure to return to SMAC, Caesar 3 and Star Wars Rebellion every now and then.  The latter is so unstable I think I need a Win98 VM.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, 213374U said:

I haven't played Star Control 2 in ages. Welp, I guess that's good as reason as any.

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Yeah, wouldn't have a clue on the hours, but to name some 20th century games with a cross-section of genres representing the birth of my gaming preferences:

Civilization 2
Heroes of Might and Magic 3
Ultima 7
Wing Commander: Privateer
SimCity 2000 (could easily be SimTower or SimFarm)
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Super Mario World (there's an argument for SMB3 but I never finished it)
FreeCell ;)

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Anything with Wing Commander in name, pre PS2 era Final Fantasies, HoMaM3

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I am pretty sure this thread already exists...

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Classics? Depends how you define that.

Old? Mmm.  I used to revisit (PC) stuff from the late 90's/early 2000's a few times each year, but the past 3-4 years that's dwindled and it's now pretty rare. I haven't even turned on Dungeon Keeper 1 in a few years I think.

If I do go back to one for a short while, it's mostly city-builder/management games where I'm not sure I'm playing so much as goofing off with certain fave levels via old saves (yup, I keep game saves for decades!). And Diablo1 is always good for a day or three blast of the past.

• Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time series (3 games). Not sure, how many hours.
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition - Dante's Awakening.

Played Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines recently and quite liked it, going to replay later. Same for BG1-2:EE and NWN:EE.

I generally care little for the release date, as long as I can run the game (e.g. VTMB from Steam kept crashing).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, majestic said:

Huh, how did I forget Wing Commander and Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi. Must be getting old...

You still play those ? I find WC's ****pit most annoying, I guess Confed figures pilots don't need to look up, easily 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Skarpen said:

Easily few thousand hours in following games each:

ADOM

Fallout 2 

Baldurs Gate 2

VtM: Bloodlines

i really want to play fallout and fallout 2 havent had the chance yet 

15 hours ago, Hawke64 said:

The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time series (3 games). Not sure, how many hours.
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition - Dante's Awakening.

Played Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines recently and quite liked it, going to replay later. Same for BG1-2:EE and NWN:EE.

I generally care little for the release date, as long as I can run the game (e.g. VTMB from Steam kept crashing).

whats your thoughts about the Prince Of Persia remake whats coming out soon?