Foot traffic (literally)

I'd love to see some people or animals actually USING the yard.  I mean, we could play for days in-game and see nothing larger than a crow in the game.  And you can find a footprint of a dog and a boot/cleat on the ground. 

How about some kids running around, maybe a dog or cat, or a raccoon at night?  If they step on your house, it's destroyed.   If they step on you, it's an instant death.  You can even see them grilling on the grill once in a while, and find a dropped grilled patty when they eat on the ground.

• Gasp! 1

3 hours ago, CodeMonkey757 said:

How about some kids running around, maybe a dog or cat, or a raccoon at night?  If they step on your house, it's destroyed.   

That would be a cool feature, until a base someone spent hours on is destroyed in three seconds by a stray footstep and they now hate the game.

14 hours ago, CodeMonkey757 said:

If they step on your house, it's destroyed. 

This is the kind of thing that makes people stop playing the game. 

Instantly, and Forever.

I played ShadowBane when it first came out. ShadowBane was the first MMO where you could make your own buildings and towns. In fact, you HAD to ... the entire world was empty, there was only a single Dev made town and it was tiny. So you went out, and collected materials and saved and went to the Starter Town .. and bought a Tree of Life Seed. Took that to where you wanted to build a town and planted it, and nourished it so it would grow. As your Tree of Life grew, it expanded the radius you could build your town in. The town I was in was very small, only 25 players. It took us 6 months to build up to being a decent small town with services and ships worth visiting. And eventually we did have visitors ..... but they were not interested in shopping.
They attacked our town. and the town that it took us 6 months of hard work to build..... it took them 3 hours to reduce it to ashes, Killing our Tree, and our Town flag disappeared from the World Map.

Of the 25 Subscription Paying Players from that town ..... only one of them had Not cancelled their game subscription by the next day.
Only one of them ever logged into the game again.

21 minutes ago, Gnith said:

This is the kind of thing that makes people stop playing the game. 

Instantly, and Forever.

I played ShadowBane when it first came out. ShadowBane was the first MMO where you could make your own buildings and towns. In fact, you HAD to ... the entire world was empty, there was only a single Dev made town and it was tiny. So you went out, and collected materials and saved and went to the Starter Town .. and bought a Tree of Life Seed. Took that to where you wanted to build a town and planted it, and nourished it so it would grow. As your Tree of Life grew, it expanded the radius you could build your town in. The town I was in was very small, only 25 players. It took us 6 months to build up to being a decent small town with services and ships worth visiting. And eventually we did have visitors ..... but they were not interested in shopping.
They attacked our town. and the town that it took us 6 months of hard work to build..... it took them 3 hours to reduce it to ashes, Killing our Tree, and our Town flag disappeared from the World Map.

Of the 25 Subscription Paying Players from that town ..... only one of them had Not cancelled their game subscription by the next day.
Only one of them ever logged into the game again.

that really sucks,  i'd have probably been one of those that quit after that long of working on the town.

This isn't shadowbane though, and it doesn't take months to build a nice base,  my current base i spent 4 or 5 hours on, it's 2 levels with a few branching off peices going to the a 3rd level to keep ants from stealing from my chests.  not very elaborate but i tend to build for function rather than leisure.

I think the yard having normal sized activity would be cool, not sure how they'd implement it, or whether it should be a dog.  it's a messy whacked out scientist house,  probably a cat would fit better since they're a bit whacked also 😛  or maybe a world event where the scientist walks through the yard.

Xbox One X

Isn't the house though the house where at least one of the kids actually lives in? Meaning, wouldn't the residents of the house know the kids got shrunk and be careful. From listening to the tapes you find around the map it sure appears to me that they are well aware that there are tiny inhabitants. What do you think?

Cool idea, but definitely agree that something like having all  your hardwork destroyed in seconds would be a total Uninstall and never play moment for me.

That being said though I think there is some way it could be worked in.  If for example you were aware that these types of events could occur you would be forced to explore the entire map and choose the optimal place to build your base.  Away from the BarBQ to avoid getting stepped on, not near the sprinklers to avoid getting washed away, or not in valleys to avoid getting flooded if they decide to add rain.

And with the speed of InGame time it wouldn't be that bad if they set these events to occur within 1 Game week, at least you don't lose much work.  And to make the pain a little less they could have whatever gets destroyed in this manner just turned into a pile of its raw parts that you then have to gather up from within a certain radius, not quite an outright destruction.

Writing this while working so I keep losing my train of throught, you get the idea of where I'm going with this though.