Microsoft buys Bethesda

mkreku

IIRC that accusation against MCA got debunked. That mainly left being creepy when drunk, which isn't great but also isn't exactly uncommon.

Doesn't really matter if the comparison is to Polanski though, even the worst accusation wasn't in the same city let alone the same ballpark as what Polanski did. That sort of ludicrous comparison is exactly what gives social justice its bad name and exactly why genuine complaints get ignored.

3 hours ago, Skarpen said:

He just created the best RPG history in, well history. No biggie.

I'd never heard that MCA created Oblivion, learn something new every day.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

Divorce Court 3: Revenge of the Alimony

Surprised some edgelord with an axe to grind hasn't made this.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

39 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Surprised some edgelord with an axe to grind hasn't made this.

Lack of talent, imagination, and humor are limiting factors. Edgelords would end up making something where they virtually harm their ex.

6 minutes ago, Skazz said:

I'm sad that this isn't a thing.

Even sadder.

Me too.

5 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Courtroom drama games are a thing, so it may be a matter of time.

Ace Attorney might have already done it.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

6 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I'm just not sure where we are seeing play-it-safe fluff. Maybe if you just look at AAA games, but we are literally living through a golden age of gaming. What game is not being made right now? I can't think of a genre that isn't getting some weird love from some development team.

There has never been a better time to be a gamer. I can find multiple options for pretty much any type of game I want to play. I was on a space exploration kick over the summer and was overwhelmed by the options. Realistic medieval sims? Turn based tactical? Adventures? Tentacles? Everything is out there.

Not my thing. 

But anyway, apologies for disturbing anybody with my mere pipe dream. Video games is serious bidness. Must remember to wear a permanent frown when venturing through the wastelands. 

I don't have to remember. It's called resting **** face.

plot twist: I really am an ****

Regardless, I agree with Hurlshot. We are spoiled for choice if you are willing to look past big budget productions. Sure, 90%+ are shovelware but it's not like all (or even most) AAA games are fantastic either.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I watched a good interview last night on CNN Business with the Microsoft Xbox global manager and they discussed the Bethesda acquisition, I use to work for Microsoft and I hold them in very high  regard and consider them easily one of the most successful companies of all time. I also dont believe they will harm the Bethesda brand at all and I can easily see how they could only make things better with additional funding of various Bethesda current and planned projects

Anyway the Microsoft manager confirmed this during the interview, he didn't go into much detail because they honestly wouldn't know certain details around " what does this mean for the future of Bethesda " but he explained that Microsoft owns over 30 development studios and Bethesda is an important and prestigious development studio and how it can only add to the growing  "Microsoft Gaming "  brand 

So its all good news for those of us who are huge fans of Bethesda and specifically Elder Scrolls

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

22 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I'm just not sure where we are seeing play-it-safe fluff. Maybe if you just look at AAA games, but we are literally living through a golden age of gaming. What game is not being made right now? I can't think of a genre that isn't getting some weird love from some development team.

There has never been a better time to be a gamer. I can find multiple options for pretty much any type of game I want to play. I was on a space exploration kick over the summer and was overwhelmed by the options. Realistic medieval sims? Turn based tactical? Adventures? Tentacles? Everything is out there.

I wouldn't mind having some recommendations for: (1) space exploration games, and (2) realistic medieval sims, if you have the time.

52 minutes ago, kanisatha said:

I wouldn't mind having some recommendations for: (1) space exploration games, and (2) realistic medieval sims, if you have the time.

Crying Suns - It has a similar fuel mechanic to FTL, which made me bounce off of it, but AFAIK it's a good game.
Star Traders: Frontiers - It's like a singleplayer MMO, if I had to sum it up short, and I'm sure someone on the internet would torch me for it. :lol: I burned out on it after a week or two, but it was an interesting concept.
Elite: Dangerous still exists as well.

Only medieval sim I know of is Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kanisatha said:

I'll second Star Traders, but this really comes down to what type of gameplay you are looking for. Star Traders has a lot of RPG stats and abilities, and you basically have an entire crew to level up and adventure with. A lighter, more adventurish and arcadey version of that would be Star Control: Origins. Star Control probably has the most whimsical story and characters. https://store.steampowered.com/app/271260/Star_Control_Origins/

In terms of serious space sims where you fly a ship somewhat realistically, Elite Dangerous and X4 are both good. I preferred X4 because you could get out and walk around everything, but both were pretty overwhelming. You could definitely get lost in them, but that is good and bad. Limitless possibilities. https://store.steampowered.com/app/392160/X4_Foundations/

No Man's Sky has come a tremendous way since it released and is beautiful and easy to play. The story is pretty trippy. https://store.steampowered.com/app/275850/No_Mans_Sky/

Empyrion is a major gem in the rough. Think Minecraft Universe with a decent story. You can build a ton of cool vehicles, but it is pretty janky at times. https://store.steampowered.com/app/383120/Empyrion__Galactic_Survival/

Then of course there are strategy games like Stellaris and Galactic Civilizations III.

Honestly who needs Star Citizen?

Realistic Medieval Games - Kingdom Come is the big one, but this just came out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1129580/Medieval_Dynasty/

There is also just a ton of low fantasy medieval stuff. I've been watching Stoneshard in particular: https://store.steampowered.com/app/625960/Stoneshard/

Oh, Battle Brothers is the bomb: https://store.steampowered.com/app/365360/Battle_Brothers/

What's crazy is how these games all range in price a ton, and most have come a long way since they were released, or they are still being developed and will only get better. 

I don't know, sure seems like a great time to be a gamer. I have fond memories of playing games on my Atari ST and my 486DX (still remember getting a SoundBlaster card and playing Monkey Island for the first time!) But it doesn't really compare to the vast library we can bring up today. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Everyone, good sir. Everyone. And I'll be laughing at you when it comes out and it will be the only game you'll ever need.

No, really, but... I mean, realistically, it's probably either NOT going to live up to its promise or never really come out beyond what is already there, but let's assume for the moment it would. Star Citizen could very much be the game I dreamt of having ever since the first time I played X-Wing and Wing Commander.

On the other hand I'd just as soon settle for Squadron 42.

• Like 5

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

23 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Chris Roberts' cultists.

I sort of hope it bombs just to see the reaction to it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Chris Roberts' cultists.

I sort of hope it bombs just to see the reaction to it.

To be honest either way it's going to be fun. You either will see people who literally spent hundres of millions on a promise see it all be for nothing or you'll see half the internet naysayers eating their own words.

I have a hard time deciding what would be more fun, and I say that as someone who backed Star Citizen and who really likes Chris Roberts' work. Except that damnable movie of course. Ugh.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I think Star Citizen is going to nail the gameplay. I can see it being a more playable version of X4 and Elite Dangerous. My biggest worry is the story. X4 is a very well developed universe. No Man's Sky feels empty and lacks emotion. I hope they manage to get close to X4 than NMS.

14 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

I think Star Citizen is going to nail the gameplay. I can see it being a more playable version of X4 and Elite Dangerous. My biggest worry is the story. X4 is a very well developed universe. No Man's Sky feels empty and lacks emotion. I hope they manage to get close to X4 than NMS.

I wonder if it will end up like Jumpgate, fun and all but pretty empty and nothing to hold you.  Definitely should be used in Project Mangament classes as a case study, seems like feature creep ran amok.

5 hours ago, kanisatha said:

I wouldn't mind having some recommendations for: (1) space exploration games,

Outer Wilds. As cool as bit open universe do what you want games can be conceptually, I never felt like I actually explored something. On the other hand I am absolutely in love with Outer Wilds. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, majestic said:

To be honest either way it's going to be fun. You either will see people who literally spent hundres of millions on a promise see it all be for nothing or you'll see half the internet naysayers eating their own words.

I have a hard time deciding what would be more fun, and I say that as someone who backed Star Citizen and who really likes Chris Roberts' work. Except that damnable movie of course. Ugh.

Perhaps it'll be fun, but at the pace they are progressing, it will almost certainly be seriously outdated by the time it finally "releases". Nothing strange about this either -- most MMOs are outdated at launch when compared to whatever is coming out at the same time in terms of single player games' tech. However, Squadron 42 is not a MMO.

I'm in the same boat as you, btw. For me it's, on paper, the game I've always wanted. Every roadmap update is a new disappointment, though. I hope I'll be one to eat crow.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Have not seen so mild episode of JimSter in a long time. Still NSFW though 😛 

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

• 2 weeks later...

It still annoys me that MCA got a bad professional rep because of an accusation. At first I was also upset so I read up about it. Apparently the woman accusing him had been bought drinks by MCA on some convention (her accusation, "on the company card"), she followed him to his hotel room and he made a move on her (in her words, "even though I looked younger than I was", to somehow implicate that he went for minors). She turned him down, he stopped and that's it. End of story.

I also saw some of the messages he had sent to various women. They were not pretty. But they were also not illegal in any sense.

Dude is a creep and needs to step back and work on himself, definitely, but that does not mean he should be unhireable or shunned by the community. The punishment is too harsh for the deed.

Also: don't compare him to Polanski. Polanski is a criminal and even comparing them drags MCA's name down to that level, subconsciously. Also, it makes you seem like one of those types who regularly draws comparisons to Hitler as soon as someone opposes you.

• Thanks 2

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

53 minutes ago, mkreku said:

Also: don't compare him to Polanski. 

Yeah, I didn't. I just asked if those clamoring for MCA to get a job are also fans of Polanski's work. There seems to be this mentality that creative people that are responsible for works of art should be excused from bad conduct. Polanski is the most extreme of these examples. A bunch of you are all *gasp* he's a criminal! and yet he continues to direct and even win prestigious awards. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

Yeah you did. You just caved when people started to call you out in this.

You're right, I did. Sometimes, when faced with a bunch of people disagreeing with me, I adjust my own opinion and approach instead of just digging in. It's rare, I know. :p

• Like 2