Microsoft buys Bethesda

mkreku

Holy crap: https://wccftech.com/microsoft-has-acquired-bethesda-and-all-its-ips-from-elder-scrolls-to-doom/

Does this mean Obsidian gets a shot at Fallout again?? 

Edited by mkreku
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Gasp! 9

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

That's crazy!

I don't think it means Obsidian gets another Fallout game. I'm not entirely sure what is means for them. It was kind of nice that they were really the main RPG studio in the Microsoft portfolio. What happens when the next Elder Scrolls game is compared to Avowed? Outer Worlds compared to Fallout? I mean, I'm happy to see both studios putting out games, but I'm worried from a business perspective the underperformer will be in trouble.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Hmmm 1

7 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

That's crazy!

I don't think it means Obsidian gets another Fallout game. I'm not entirely sure what is means for them. It was kind of nice that they were really the main RPG studio in the Microsoft portfolio. What happens when the next Elder Scrolls game is compared to Avowed? Outer Worlds compared to Fallout? I mean, I'm happy to see both studios putting out games, but I'm worried from a business perspective the underperformer will be in trouble.

I admit, that was my first concern as well.  How will Microsoft view InXile, Obsidian and Bethesda?  Small, Medium, Large?  Or that they should all be one thing?  Or Thunderdome?

Also since they're buying ZeniMax, I guess that means they get alpha Dog, Arkane Studios, id Software, MachingGames, Roundhouse Studios, Tango Gameworks and ZeniMax Online Studios in addition to Bethesda.

• Thanks 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

oh snap

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

That's crazy!

Yeah these are exactly my feelings as well. When MS bought up Obsidian (and inXile) I was one of those happy about it, precisely because it made Obsidian the top-dog RPG studio within the MS empire. Now, the new top-dog is Bethesda, and the top-dog always gets the biggest slice of the pie. So where does that leave the smaller entities like Obsidian? I hope someone at MS addresses this question at some point.

Guess Gamepass is going to be more attractive, and maybe none of these games on PlayStation ?

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

That was... unexpected. I don't know what to think of it.

As of: Obsidian vs. Bethesda... I wonder if there will be consequences. Personally, I don't necessarly thing that there is genre overlap - appeal of Fallout3/4 and Fallout:NV are rather different I think... and even so, Ubisoft made a fortune by remaking the same game over and over again anyway. But that's like a big purchase. 

4 minutes ago, Jozape said:

Too much consolidation happening. Zenimax may have been a stereotypically bad publisher lately, but it wasn't too late to mend their ways. However unlikely that may have been. Sigh

I'm afraid consolidation is going be the word of the decade after the pandemic.

21 minutes ago, Skazz said:

As in this is bad, or just more Doom games ?

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Won't change much, Bethesda is now just part of their 'Netflix' catalogue and things will more or less continue as before, now with just less egocentrism on Bethesda's part so that's a good thing.

And yes, should be a tinge of hope for New Vegas fans.  Would like to see another one, sure, though Fallout is not my 'baby' franchise.