Weather affects?

Here's an idea.  How about weather patterns and it's effect on you?

Sunny:  Being out on the open dehydrates you faster.  Dropped meat have a chance of being roasted if left out too long.

Windy:  Grass moves harder and faster (harder to see approaching danger).  You might be blown off course if gliding.  Light items on the ground (harvested plant fibers, meat chunks, grass planks, etc....) get blown away.

Rain:   Produces an endless supply of fresh drinkable water.  Large rain drops fall at random spots near/on you and hurt you if hit.  No insects out in the open while raining, but still exist underground and in the hollow part of the oak tree. Low areas (foot prints and cracks, etc...) flood.  After it rains, puddles and other still-water sources become drinkable for the next 24 in-game hours.  Rain water puddles dry up 1 hour after the weather becomes sunny.

On 9/20/2020 at 5:10 AM, CodeMonkey757 said:

Here's an idea.  How about weather patterns and it's effect on you?

Sunny:  Being out on the open dehydrates you faster.  Dropped meat have a chance of being roasted if left out too long.

Windy:  Grass moves harder and faster (harder to see approaching danger).  You might be blown off course if gliding.  Light items on the ground (harvested plant fibers, meat chunks, grass planks, etc....) get blown away.

Rain:   Produces an endless supply of fresh drinkable water.  Large rain drops fall at random spots near/on you and hurt you if hit.  No insects out in the open while raining, but still exist underground and in the hollow part of the oak tree. Low areas (foot prints and cracks, etc...) flood.  After it rains, puddles and other still-water sources become drinkable for the next 24 in-game hours.  Rain water puddles dry up 1 hour after the weather becomes sunny.

Hi Code Monkey,

I think you have some great ideas. 

Sunny: I think the dehydrating is a great addition, but feel that dropped meat should maybe dehydrate instead of roast? What if your chopped grasses dry up into dried grass if you do not collect them?

Rain: I think these are great ideas, what about water damage to your living quarters? I feel it would be appropriate for food to spoil in rain if left out.

Cold: The mornings and nights should be colder than midday, and there should be seasonal influences. This should force you to either start a fire or put on warmer clothing.

Clothing: additionally to armor, the clothing should go bad and the kids should make their own. spider webbing and picked up sewing needles could be great way to incorporate this option.

I also think, the days pass a bit too fast. I hope the producers consider extending the days just a little bit more.

I think rain would have a much bigger impact than merely having to dodge raindrops. You'd have to worry about running groundwater sweeping away loose objects, uprooting sprigs, and damaging structures. Some structures, like foundations, would be resistant to damage. Would make building on high ground a smart strategy even after the devs figure out how to have arthropods climb up walls and other vertical surfaces.

25 minutes ago, Gearhart said:

I think rain would have a much bigger impact than merely having to dodge raindrops. You'd have to worry about running groundwater sweeping away loose objects, uprooting sprigs, and damaging structures. Some structures, like foundations, would be resistant to damage. Would make building on high ground a smart strategy even after the devs figure out how to have arthropods climb up walls and other vertical surfaces.

i don't htink they need to take it that far.  there's a few other posts with weather suggestions that go into more detail that may work better in the game.

Xbox One X

15 minutes ago, Gnith said:

I'd like to see weather ... and seasons .... 
but I'd prefer it if was more of a mood setting enhancement ...
adding more and more layers of extreme survival concerns would remove a LOT of the lighthearted entertainment of the game.

that's true.  that's why one of my suggestions for weather was to have it be a world event type thing.  announced that it was going to happen, players could prep for it, and then have fun surviving a summer storm that to us would be a natural disaster type scenario.

Xbox One X

5 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

i don't htink they need to take it that far.  there's a few other posts with weather suggestions that go into more detail that may work better in the game.

The devolopment team director himself stated that he'd love to add world changing events to the game; going from his prior experience with MMORPGs, drastic world changing events are highly desirable for sources of conflict, but you can't make very many of them due to having to come up with an explanation for how this single event can have such a big impact. But here, the world can be drastically changed by the simplest of things. Just look at those bootprints going through the yard. All it took was a person walking to create massive craters. And one of the potential world-changing events the director mentioned was rain (as well as the sprinkler by the bird bath turning on).

3 minutes ago, Gearhart said:

The devolopment team director himself stated that he'd love to add world changing events to the game; going from his prior experience with MMORPGs, drastic world changing events are highly desirable for sources of conflict, but you can't make very many of them due to having to come up with an explanation for how this single event can have such a big impact. But here, the world can be drastically changed by the simplest of things. Just look at those bootprints going through the yard. All it took was a person walking to create massive craters. And one of the potential world-changing events the director mentioned was rain (as well as the sprinkler by the bird bath turning on).

You're right. My bad, i read your previous post wrong.  For some reason i was thinking you meant sub water coming up and washing out bases.  Not sure where i got that from, it must be Monday... 

Those are some of the ideas people have mentioned in the weather posts here in the forums.

I love the idea of the sprinkler turning on,  that hard water spray could be quite disruptive to the world.

Xbox One X