Domesticating Insects

I think being able to domesticate some insects on a tiered level would be a fun aspect, using the same tier mechanics as for all the other in-game items.

Tiered domestication would be starting with the water fleas and aphids and move up the ladder to the most difficult ones, using their abilities to your benefit. 

The different insects currently have different abilities themselves (which the ingame play is already harvesting) and once domesticated the player could take advantage of them even more. For example having a small aphid pharm to harvest their nectar, or a pet ant that follows you along to support you in combat or who lets you walk into ant mounts unharmed maybe with a time limit to increase difficulty, maybe make that pheromone based; a dragonfly or mosquito for airborne attacks (maybe you could ride it). Milking the bombardier beetle for acids ...

Insects could also be used for home protection, since enemy insects attack your base, how about counterstrikes with domesticated spiders. That would make for some beautiful fights. 

Edited by MoniTheMelone
  • Like 1

I would love some pets in the game. Aphids could alert you when big bugs are near. Ants could assist you in battle. Bees and ladybugs would be used as mounts. Weevils could protect you from attacks every now and then. I don't think bigger bugs like bombardier beetles and spiders should be tamed, though, because they are too big and taming them would take the challenge and menace of them away. These are good ideas though!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, YaBoyJenkins said:

Why??

Insects aren't tamable. They are creatures of pure instinct, they eat and look for food. 
Nothing Else .... You're just food to them.

Also ... and honestly more important .... 
not every game needs to have taming in it 
if you add all the other **** that every other game has in it ... what do you have ... 
the same thing as every other game ... just with new art ... 

I don't want to play a game ..... for new art

I want something different .... and right now ... a game WITHOUT taming ... is different 

6 minutes ago, Gnith said:

Insects aren't tamable. They are creatures of pure instinct, they eat and look for food. 

Exactly that, they have the most minimalistic brain of all creatures. they can't learn, they're not capable of learning and remembering, which is what taming is - teaching and having them remember.

Xbox One X

On 9/21/2020 at 5:28 PM, Gnith said:

Also ... and honestly more important .... 
not every game needs to have taming in it 
if you add all the other **** that every other game has in it ... what do you have ... 
the same thing as every other game ... just with new art ... 

I don't want to play a game ..... for new art

I want something different .... and right now ... a game WITHOUT taming ... is different 

This whole #NoTaming is a bit selfish tbh kinda gets to me, every time someone brings it up, why not have options? optional variety in a game we all love, if taming was optional you either like taming and want to tame or you just don't have to tame if it's not your thing and don't have to go anywhere near it. It's like the whole I don't like the blur effect/I like the blur effect, just let us all have the option to choose.

"Insects aren't tameable" Humans aren't shrinkable.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, NG75 said:

This whole #NoTaming is a bit selfish tbh kinda gets to me, every time someone brings it up, why not have options? optional variety in a game we all love, if taming was optional you either like taming and want to tame or you just don't have to tame if it's not your thing and don't have to go anywhere near it. It's like the whole I don't like the blur effect/I like the blur effect, just let us all have the option to choose.

voicing our opinions of topics here isn't selfish at all, it's called having a discussion which is what these forums were created for.  calling it so it s a bit closed minded.  Sad people can't disagree without getting called out here anymore.

Most of us that don't want taming don't want this to end up as Ark: Shrunken Kids and have 100 bugs following us around like mindless minions.  I think that was one of ARK's (many) downfalls.

#NoTaming

Xbox One X

2 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

voicing our opinions of topics here isn't selfish at all, it's called having a discussion which is what these forums were created for.  calling it so it s a bit closed minded.  Sad people can't disagree without getting called out here anymore.

Most of us that don't want taming don't want this to end up as Ark: Shrunken Kids and have 100 bugs following us around like mindless minions.  I think that was one of ARK's (many) downfalls.

#NoTaming

Nice discussions tbh, I've seen the posts and most of the time you all just type is #NoTaming right away without even discussing anything with the original poster, you yourself did it to one of my posts #NoTaming At All.

"Most of us that don't want taming don't want this to end up as Ark: Shrunken Kids and have 100 bugs following us around like mindless minions.  I think that was one of ARK's (many) downfalls."

How do you know how they will implement it? 

• Like 1

On 21.09.2020 at 19:53, Christian Z said:

Я думаю, что приручить божью коровку было бы здорово Вы сможете использовать его по-разному. Я думаю, что это также был бы интересный способ добавить в игру разные биомы. Например, на вершине дуба или внутри дома. Было бы плохо.

On 19.09.2020 at 17:45, MoniTheMelone said:

Я думаю, что возможность приручить некоторых насекомых на многоуровневом уровне была бы забавным аспектом, используя ту же механику уровня, что и для всех других игровых предметов.

Многоуровневое приручение начнется с водяных блох и тлей и будет подниматься по лестнице к наиболее сложным из них, используя их способности в ваших интересах. 

Различные насекомые в настоящее время сами обладают разными способностями (которые уже используются в игре), и после приручения игрок может использовать их еще больше. Например, иметь небольшую аптеку от тли для сбора своего нектара или домашнего муравья, который следует за вами, чтобы поддержать вас в бою, или который позволяет вам ходить на муравейников целыми и невредимыми, возможно, с ограничением по времени для увеличения сложности, может быть, на основе этого феромона; стрекоза или комар для воздушных атак (может, вы сможете на нем прокатиться). Доить жука-бомбардира на кислоты ...

Насекомых также можно использовать для защиты дома, поскольку вражеские насекомые нападают на вашу базу, как насчет контрударов с помощью домашних пауков. Это могло бы привести к красивым боям. 

хорошо вы придумали я тоже хотел бы поддержать такие идеи, 

16 hours ago, NG75 said:

Nice discussions tbh, I've seen the posts and most of the time you all just type is #NoTaming right away without even discussing anything with the original poster, you yourself did it to one of my posts #NoTaming At All.

"Most of us that don't want taming don't want this to end up as Ark: Shrunken Kids and have 100 bugs following us around like mindless minions.  I think that was one of ARK's (many) downfalls."

How do you know how they will implement it? 

If you've read the other threads you've also seen the reasons why. 

i summed it up in those couple sentences rather than a long drawn out post.

Nobody knows how it will be implemented.  I don't want to see it so i post that, just like others that want post they want it.  you don't see the ones for taming always giving reasons why, but yet I have to explain in detail why i don't want taming for every post??

Xbox One X

On 9/22/2020 at 1:24 PM, NG75 said:

The difference here is that the impossible (at least by our current understanding of physics) act of shrinking things is necessary for the plot of the game. Being able to tame insects, on the other hand, is not necessary for the game's premise to exist, so there's no reason to implement it.

Manipulating insects, on the other hand, is very doable. You can manipulate an ant to follow you around and help you in combat by wearing ant armor and dropping a pheromone breadcrumbs to lead them to where you want to go. This would actually be more effective than taming individual ants, as pheromone trails can be followed by the entire colony, basically letting you command an army.

A ladybug might be manipulated into carrying you around by waving an aphid on a stick in front of it, but ladybugs don't have that large of an appetite, so this wouldn't always work.

If orb weavers were updated to behave like their real world counterparts, we could use lure arrows to lead them away from their webs and snatch all the food they've collected.

Wolf spiders have sensitive eyes, so we might be able to use light sources like torches to manipulate them into certain behaviors. At least once their AI is updated to actually respond to the presence of light. But it would probably be wiser to just kill them, as they are currently the apex predators of the game, and you do not want the most dangerous creature in the game to grow in population; that would just mean more danger and less food.

I personally don't want taming to be added because this game currently has potential to be educational as well as entertaining; teaching us all about various arthropods but letting us observe them up close.

This forum asks that users treat other with respect, even when opinions differ.  The whole point of a feedback forum is to get feedback; not every suggestion will be liked, but they can be discussed reasonably without making the discussion personal.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

As much as I absolutely HATE the idea of Taming in Grounded .... 

You can ALREADY manipulate the bugs to your uses.

I'll piss off a Ladybug ... make it chase me ... all the way down into the anthill.
One Ladybug will take down half the anthill if it's not too over-populated.

and few things are more entertaining than a WWE Match with 2 Wolf Spiders vs 4 Stinkbugs .... and No Rules or Referees 

You don't need to add Special Taming Mechanisms to the game ..... just be a little creative.

I like the game just how it is .... I don't need to be riding a spider with my hair on fire screaming " I OWN THE WORLD "

..... cause then ...... what am I gonna do tomorrow ??

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Gearhart said:

The difference here is that the impossible (at least by our current understanding of physics) act of shrinking things is necessary for the plot of the game. Being able to tame insects, on the other hand, is not necessary for the game's premise to exist, so there's no reason to implement it.

Manipulating insects, on the other hand, is very doable. You can manipulate an ant to follow you around and help you in combat by wearing ant armor and dropping a pheromone breadcrumbs to lead them to where you want to go. This would actually be more effective than taming individual ants, as pheromone trails can be followed by the entire colony, basically letting you command an army.

A ladybug might be manipulated into carrying you around by waving an aphid on a stick in front of it, but ladybugs don't have that large of an appetite, so this wouldn't always work.

If orb weavers were updated to behave like their real world counterparts, we could use lure arrows to lead them away from their webs and snatch all the food they've collected.

Wolf spiders have sensitive eyes, so we might be able to use light sources like torches to manipulate them into certain behaviors. At least once their AI is updated to actually respond to the presence of light. But it would probably be wiser to just kill them, as they are currently the apex predators of the game, and you do not want the most dangerous creature in the game to grow in population; that would just mean more danger and less food.

I personally don't want taming to be added because this game currently has potential to be educational as well as entertaining; teaching us all about various arthropods but letting us observe them up close.

Hi Gearhart and friends of Grounded,

Thank you all for discussing my suggestion of taming insects. Now that I have read your posts, I must say, my opinion changed. I think Gearharts explanation makes much more sense in that manipulation would be more reasonable than taming. I still believe farming aphids for example could be an option as it is not taming in the sense it is just locking them down so I do not have to go unt for their dew. hehe

On the other hand to Gearharts' point, this game already does "fictional" shrinking of people, then why is taming as it is fiction so frowned upon? As I have voiced before, think of this game more as in how children would see and manipulate, stimulate their environment not so much as what you have seen other game developers create. I don't think you can even compare this game to other survival games at this time as it is so unique in its storyline itself.  I know there are many kids playing this game, and if I was one right now, boy would I love to be able to ride an ant across the yard, to pet it and maybe even feed it, to use it as disguise while raiding the ant mount for eggs, just saying.

I also want to add, please be kind to one another. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No need to get defensive or offended. Just respect each other. We all enjoy the same game after all.

Kindly,

Moni

• Like 2