8 hours ago, BruceVC said:

So who is going to watch the first presidential debate tonight  between Trump and Biden?

I want to but its a bit late for SA time, I think it starts at 1am for me so I will watch the highlights tomorrow

I think I have changed my mind and will watch this debate, I just saw this  very interesting discussion on CNN on this debate and now I am looking forward  to it 8)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well I’m definitely going to be watching. I hate them both, don’t give a damn which one wins the election, and which one goes home in ignomy. They are both trash. But watching an absent minded and doddering old man argue politics with a know nothing blow hard, especially when neither of them has a clue what they’re talking about, sounds like entertainment to me. 

Do you know the worst part? I’m not even sure which one of them is which!

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

49 minutes ago, Elerond said:

People believed that there was child prostitution ring in basement of one tier building that doesn't have basement without evidence and didn't not believe pictures and videos that showed that there was no basement.

So people will believe anything their side tells them regardless of facts evidence or probability of the thing.

Voting by mail has been most popular in states controlled by Republicans. So it isn't like those who no 'fear' voting by mail aren't familiar with the system and know that it is as safe as voting in person. Especially when you take in account that majority of in person votes are done with over decade old voting machines that have know security issues.

But Elerond its not fair to associate Pizzagate which was caused by the QAnon  fringe group with the overall Republican party and levels of insight that many Republicans have 

The extreme views of QAnon are really hard to take seriously and wont ever be translated into Republican policy 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Dragged in in much the same way an alcoholic gets 'dragged' into a succession of bars etc. Erdogan is revanchist, Azerbaijan is literally their only friend in the region and there are an inconvenient bunch of Armenians between the two countries who had better be careful in case they end up taking another long spontaneous walk while forgetting to take sufficient food and clothing. They are operating the Azeri EW systems and drones already, shooting down Armenian planes is a small step.

Having said that, the Armenians have good reason to make the claim since they have a defensive pact with the Russians that doesn't cover Nagorno Karabakh Artsekh Republic but does cover Armenia proper.

3 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Dragged in in much the same way an alcoholic gets 'dragged' into a succession of bars

As an alcoholic I resent this, I buy my own booze because its cheaper and I don't have to drive home. We need to stop these harmful stereotypes that make it seem like we are out there getting wasted and having fun.

• Thanks 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

7 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Libertarian nominee Jo Jorgensen on voting third party and why America should be more like Switzerland

well, she is getting my vote. Neither Trump nor Biden deserve it. Just because somebody hands me a bag of poop does not mean I have to take it.

This is one of the moments where we agree but probably for slightly different reasons. 🥳

I'm honestly hoping a candidate comes along that can unite everyone who's disgusted with the 2-party system, or almost everyone.

I was going to have the debate on, in the background at least, but I was distracted and forgot until a bit ago.
After only about 10 minutes of listening to Trump I shut it off again. Man I can't even stand the sound of his voice anymore, let alone his what comes out of his mouth.

I should probably say I'm not a big Biden person either but I'd prefer him over Trump, is all. 

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 minute ago, ShadySands said:

It was pretty bad. 

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 hours ago, Orogun01 said:

As an alcoholic I resent this, I buy my own booze because its cheaper and I don't have to drive home. We need to stop these harmful stereotypes that make it seem like we are out there getting wasted and having fun.

Yes we alcoholics take glory in our miserable existence!  We do have the coolest dreams though, those (albeit rare lately) times I go on a drinking binge I never wanna wake up because my dreams are so badass.

Speaking of Vladimir Vladimirovich, how's the Russian federation doing these days?  Must be tough with constant NATO attacks, disinformation campaigns, lies, and military aggressions but I hope they're doing well over there. 🙌

2 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

It was pretty bad. 

Yes I agree but it was also more or less what I expected....I was worried Biden would come off looking worse than Trump due to his occasional ....how can I say it politely and fairly....absent mindedness but it seemed to go okay for him

I cant see why they need to have more of those ? On CNN all the commentators are saying that was the " worst presidential debate in the history of these debates " .....I wonder if that is fair as neither candidate was particularly significant for me?

CNN is furious  how Trump " refused to criticize white supremacy "  during the debate ....I am not sure why they asked him this because its become one of those questions he has answered in the past and I cant see how Trump repeating what he has said in the past is going to change the views of actual white supremacist? 

John Milton 

26 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

I was going to have the debate on, in the background at least, but I was distracted and forgot until a bit ago.
After only about 10 minutes of listening to Trump I shut it off again. Man I can't even stand the sound of his voice anymore, let alone his what comes out of his mouth.

I should probably say I'm not a big Biden person either but I'd prefer him over Trump, is all. 

LadyC can I ask you a question as the one of the only women on this forum and you being American?

What dont you like about Biden and why do you prefer him over Trump?

John Milton 

7 hours ago, Malcador said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54345622

Turkey getting dragged into this now.

7 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Dragged in in much the same way an alcoholic gets 'dragged' into a succession of bars etc. Erdogan is revanchist, Azerbaijan is literally their only friend in the region and there are an inconvenient bunch of Armenians between the two countries who had better be careful in case they end up taking another long spontaneous walk while forgetting to take sufficient food and clothing. They are operating the Azeri EW systems and drones already, shooting down Armenian planes is a small step.

Having said that, the Armenians have good reason to make the claim since they have a defensive pact with the Russians that doesn't cover Nagorno Karabakh Artsekh Republic but does cover Armenia proper.

I admit I have no knowledge or history of the role or significance that either Armenia or Azerbaijan play in the region which is fine

I am aware of the terrible genocide the Armenians sent through and how Turkey is responsible. Do you guys know many Turks even today refuse to accept this ?

What is the real risk around this conflict from a " spill over perspective" ....the last thing we need is thousands more immigrants trying to get into the EU if things get worse?

John Milton 

21 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

It was pretty bad. 

I could literally feel my brain cells dying while watching. Missed the start, and even then couldn't stick it out to the end.

I have to say that the commentators who are seemingly surprised and appalled they got the verbal equivalent of pie throwing rather than a debate certainly shouldn't be surprised. Trump is fundamentally a salesman rather than a debater, and proper political debates don't suit his style at all. Pie throwing on the other hand most certainly does, and you cannot debate someone chucking pies but also tend to look stupid if you start chucking them back.

I didn't watch the debate, did Trump throw his **** around while Biden just rolled along uninspiringly?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

5 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I admit I have no knowledge or history of the role or significance that either Armenia or Azerbaijan play in the region which is fine

I am aware of the terrible genocide the Armenians sent through and how Turkey is responsible. Do you guys know many Turks even today refuse to accept this ?

What is the real risk around this conflict from a " spill over perspective" ....the last thing we need is thousands more immigrants trying to get into the EU if things get worse?

Armenia is almost completely irrelevant to everything outside its immediate region, perhaps excepting its enormous and influential diaspora. Azerbaijan is a major hydrocarbon producer.

There's no realistic risk of spillover, the fighting is probably the Azeris mostly trying to get the Armenians back to the table on more favourable (to the Azeris) terms. There's no doubt if they could retake Nagorno-Karabakh they would, and that would involve a lot of refugees since that region is 99% ethnic Armenian and the Azeris... well, anyone can duckduckgo Ramil Safarov to find out how Azerbaijan treats its citizens who murder Armenians; even if they didn't actively drive all the Armenians out they'd likely flee.

• Like 1

I'm glad I spent my time reading ****ty PL/SQL code instead of watching that debate

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Trump wiped the floor with tag team Wallace/Biden with little to no effort. Biden playing second fiddle in the debate as he does in his own campaign, pathetic. It was like rewatching a boxing match recording where you know the reault and all the best moments from the start.

166215__front.jpg

It was like watching two old men arguing at a shuffleboard court.

Someone explain to me how I'm "wasting" my vote again? Votes for those two are wasted. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

31 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

Most people disagree.  Debates were a disaster and both candidates really suck, but Trump really needed to get a leg up to help his campaign.

That poll in no way reflects what I said. People might dislike Trump wiping the floor with senile senior citizen. Those are not the questions that answer who was better at the debate.

Edit: Never mind the polls are made on a group that's packed 3:1 against Republicans. To quote a senile senior citizen "Come on, man".

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/09/29/politics/donald-trump-joe-biden-debate-poll/index.html

29 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

It was like watching two old men arguing at a shuffleboard court.

Someone explain to me how I'm "wasting" my vote again? Votes for those two are wasted. 

You are not wasting your vote by voting for anyone. Even if you cast a vote with big "NO!' written on the voting card it's not a wasted vote. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Edited by Skarpen

166215__front.jpg