We provide an example that people of different ideologies can peacefully co-exist.

As long as we don't know where each other live.

And don't have access to weapons.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Oh, 2020 election  will be so much fun. 

If you don't have reliable methods of voting remotely, you just should nit do that... 

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1529924/mail-in-ballots-trump-trashed-pennsylvania/

Things like this, will only give fuel for both sides to toss more **** at each other and push polarization to a breaking point. 

You have big tech located in US, yet you cannot get something simple as online voting, where post service reps could walk house to house and collect votes via a remote pad after verification of the voter. And this could also be tracked as each voter would have their own profile (name/address/id) and they could check if they are marked as "voted" or not, to control if they are the ones who gave a vote. 

22 hours ago, Achilles said:

Are you not aware that this is not a new thing?

Do you think they're all gonna hop on a plane and fly to South Africa next?

Yes as  I keep mentioning there is a  pattern that is seen many countries around the degree and nature of violent protests and  when they justified

Oh no need to worry about me being worried about the nature of protracted and violent strikes coming to SA, thanks for the concern :thumbsup:

As I also keep mentioning SA has had violent strikes primarily due to union protest since 2005, so its a different ideological reason but similar outcomes. USA protestors wont come to SA because we are already inundated with strikes and there negative impact to  our economy...no space for them and nothing to gain

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Yes as  I keep mentioning there is a  pattern that is seen many countries around the degree and nature of violent protests and  when they justified

Oh no need to worry about me being worried about the nature of protracted and violent strikes coming to SA, thanks for the concern :thumbsup:

As I also keep mentioning SA has had violent strikes primarily due to union protest since 2005, so its a different ideological reason but similar outcomes. USA protestors wont come to SA because we are already inundated with strikes and there negative impact to  our economy...no space for them and nothing to gain

You also have issues with land grabbinb and genocide of farmers? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

You also have issues with land grabbinb and genocide of farmers? 

I do strangely enough but to be honest neither of those points is  true in the literal sense

We have farm killings but its criminal conduct and not genocide, so some people are mischaracterizing the word " genocide " , its not genocide and shouldnt be called that

And yes we have groups and political parties  like the EFF who talk about land grabs but our Constitution and international laws around Property Rights prevent this so its just rhetoric and populism when people say " land grabs" ...the problem is just that rhetoric impacts negatively Foreign Direct Investment and our economic transformation 

https://effonline.org/

So both these points get raised but neither is true but they hurt our economy 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

8 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I do strangely enough but to be honest neither of those points true in the literal sense

We have farm killings but its criminal conduct and not genocide, so some people are mischaracterizing the word " genocide " , its not genocide and shouldnt be called that

And yes we have groups and political parties  like the EFF who talk about land grabs but our Constitution and international laws around Property Rights prevent this so its just rhetoric and populism when people say " land grabs" ...the problem is just that rhetoric impacts negatively Foreign Direct Investment and our economic transformation 

So both these points get raised but neither is true but they hurt out economy 

I think the issue is, what the state is actually doing to clap down on these crimes, and if there is not too much of a blind eye on such cases. 

Other areas included. The crime statistics are just... Well you know best. 

Would you really feel safe outside of living in a gated and privately secured community? 

Doubly so, if you'd be a young woman. 

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

I think the issue is, what the state is actually doing to clap down on these crimes, and if there is not too much of a blind eye on such cases. 

Other areas included. The crime statistics are just... Well you know best. 

Would you really feel safe outside of living ina gated and privately aecured community? 

You ask some good questions, no I wouldnt feel safe living outside a gated or secure community...no one does. But I travel and work outside these safe communities all the time 

Remember we have very high levels of violent crime, 50 murders a day more or less 

Edited by BruceVC
  • Thanks 1

John Milton 

Guest The Architect

As for Australian politics, there's a nickname for our Prime Minister, Scott Morrison, which is 'ScoMo.' He tries to play up the 'ocker' persona in an attempt to feel relatable to the working class, and his nickname is one way of doing that. Another way is his piss poor beer sculling attempt. The truth is, he is a pimple on the arse cheek of the deceased Bob Hawke. I saw a comment referring to fossil fuel puppet man as 'Scovid.' Now that's a nickname I can get behind. It's too bad, though, that the opposition is as soft as a fleece blanket.

Edited by The Architect

1 hour ago, The Architect said:

120198944_349339429547104_2555113221087799037_n.png?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=SUvFvOcVBwwAX_sgne9&_nc_ht=scontent.fper6-1.fna&oh=ff1fb5ff62cb4d425a02db8946bb869f&oe=5F9268FB

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

:lol:

Gfted1 if Scientific American says "  vote for Biden " thats a considerable endorsement ...except for the dozens of other endorsements you see on both sides for there respective candidates :grin:

John Milton 

Democrats prepare bill limiting U.S. Supreme Court justice terms to 18 years

So.... is anyone going to tell them Article 3 fixes SCOTUS appointments for life? This law, even if passed and signed, will be struck down. Not that Democrats give a flying f--k what the Constitution says unless it allows them to do what they want. Used to be the Republicans were the defenders of the Constitution. Ah the joy of remembering days long gone.

Anyway. The only way this happens id by Constitutional Amendment. That is sort of a pain in the butt. And it takes years. But the Democrats are many things. Stupid isn't one of them. Other than AOC. I suspect they know this bill goes nowhere. Sometimes politicians do this kind of s--t to appear to be "doing" something about one of Mencken's Hobgoblins.  

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

36 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Gfted1 if Scientific American says "  vote for Biden " thats a considerable endorsement ...except for the dozens of other endorsements you see on both sides for there respective candidates :grin:

I am disappoint that they didnt superimpose Biden on the planet, arms wide, posed like Christ the Redeemer. Truly a missed opportunity to reel in the religious folk. :lol:

• Haha 2

Religious folk in the US aren't going to be reading anything from Scientific American, though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

Oh, 2020 election  will be so much fun. 

If you don't have reliable methods of voting remotely, you just should nit do that... 

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1529924/mail-in-ballots-trump-trashed-pennsylvania/

Things like this, will only give fuel for both sides to toss more **** at each other and push polarization to a breaking point. 

You have big tech located in US, yet you cannot get something simple as online voting, where post service reps could walk house to house and collect votes via a remote pad after verification of the voter. And this could also be tracked as each voter would have their own profile (name/address/id) and they could check if they are marked as "voted" or not, to control if they are the ones who gave a vote. 

Considering that USPS and therefore handling of mail-in-ballots is responsibility of executive branch or government and therefore ultimately it is sitting president whose job it is to ensure that all the ballots go in right place. Which makes it bit funny when Trump accuses that you can't trust in the vote by mail system.  

18 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Religious folk in the US aren't going to be reading anything from Scientific American, though.

Why? I do.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 minute ago, Gfted1 said:

Religion doesnt exclude science. But it is a fantastically effective way to control billions of people. Btw, your "all US" schtick will probably work better on Reddit. :p 

Not a schtick, US Christians seem very "special" compared to ones elsewhere, see Prosperity Gospel for an example.   But I didn't think you were serious with your suggestion so I went likewise, heh.

Guest The Architect
3 minutes ago, Malcador said:

It's hard to believe that, this close to the election, that anyone who intends on voting would still be undecided. If Trump supporters haven't been swayed by now, after all his failures, then nothing will, least of all not by facts and evidence. I like the Socratic method, but that's not going to work on everyone, and you have to be good at asking questions that make their clarification a cluster****. I couldn't keep count of how many times I've seen a politician dodge a good question.

Well I’m of the opinion that a persons religion is unique and personal to them. The best way to spread it is to be an example of it. Not use it as a club to browbeat other people into thinking like you do. But that’s just me.

I also think religious convictions deserve to be and should be challenged from time to time. Besides, what do you think is more pleasing to God? Blind acceptance of what someone said? Or cold rational deduction that God is real and does, on occasion, takin an interest in the humans. And the other critters to.

Thomas Sowell

5 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Not a schtick

My bad, sincerely. Lately, off the top of my head, I noticed you include "US" in sweeping statements about police, closed borders between US/CA, religion, etc. so I thought you were running a joke.

EDIT: And I wasnt serious about my suggestion. :biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Well I’m of the opinion that a persons religion is unique and personal to them. The best way to spread it is to be an example of it. Not use it as a club to browbeat other people into thinking like you do. But that’s just me.

Well I'm Catholic, so as you can imagine not a fair amount of my fellows don't grok this part. 😛

1 minute ago, Gfted1 said:

My bad, sincerely. Lately, off the top of my head, I noticed you include "US" in sweeping statements about police, closed borders between US/CA, religion, etc. so I thought you were running a joke.

Well given all countries are different and do things their own way, it's fair to comment on it.  As for the border being closed that's due to the virus running more free in the US than here (although the closure is a bit fake, Americans are still coming through).  I think gangs here get a lot of their guns from MI, and since the border's closed a lot more stabbings in Toronto so I assume they got their bullets from there too :lol:

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Elerond said:

Which makes it bit funny when Trump accuses that you can't trust in the vote by mail system.  

Personally, I find it funny that all of the mailers I've received with instructions on how to vote by mail are from Republican affiliated organizations using Trump's name on them.

14 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Not a schtick, US Christians seem very "special" compared to ones elsewhere, see Prosperity Gospel for an example.   But I didn't think you were serious with your suggestion so I went likewise, heh.

Not all churches in the US preach prosperity gospel, though...

6 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

Eh, people don't open the door for Census takers, I doubt that they'd get a lot of traction with door-to-door voting. Excepting Jehovah's Witnesses, Census Takers, and people trying to see if you are home before breaking into your house, no one really goes door-to-door anymore.  Not even Trick-or-Treaters on Halloween... 😛

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I really should check my mailbox for the vote by mail ballot. Since we pay everything electronically we only check the mail every 7-10 days. Or when the mail person gets exasperated because the box is full and rings my doorbell. *note to self: increase X-mas tip to carrier*

• Gasp! 1

I check mail so regularly, I sometimes forget and check mail on holidays when the mail doesn't run.

Not that I'm expecting anything, but I find cold mailings to add a fun bit of randomness in the day.  

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man