1 hour ago, ComradeMaster said:

Didn't Hitler also warn against the "Tyranny of the masses"?

You're reasoning seems a bit elitist sometimes.  Almost reactionary in nature.

Godwin's law has been out there for a while. Apparently Hitler did everything, he even was part of a zionist conspiracy to displace European jews to Palestine so that they could reclaim their ancestral land once the British ceased to be a colonial power, that for some reason kept the falklands isles and the rock of Gibraltar. So if you love Israel, you're like Hitler.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Guest The Architect

The S&P 500 and Dow Jones are getting gut-punched at the moment, but don't worry, once they bounce back, the dividends will trickle-down to the based bros of 'Murica and revamp such places:

Penthouse Populist: Why the Rural Poor Love Donald Trump | The Report | US  News

Edited by The Architect

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Two cops got shot in Louisville

https://mobile.twitter.com/charliegilenbc/status/1308935831684612098?s=21

Anarchy for sure

Just Louisville? This is going better than I expected.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

...and justice fails miserably again. A bank just give a fine, which will most likely be passed along to the customers as extra fees. They (the managers and the execs) won't change their tune until they start seeing the inside of prisons. Pathetic Australia... just pathetic.

Australia's Westpac bank has negotiated to pay a record A$1.3bn (£0.7bn; $0.9bn) fine for the nation's biggest breach of money laundering laws.

Last year, Australia's financial crime watchdog said the bank had failed to adequately report over 19 million international transactions.
Some payments were potentially linked to child exploitation, officials said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-54275165

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

6 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

This seems to be some interesting point oof view, a bit more weighted than an usual article there. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/personal-finance/collapse-process-not-event

Nice read. To quote the linked text:

"The hardest part about detecting collapse lies not with the data – that is clear as a bell ringing on a still morning – but with the emotional difficulty of accepting it (and then acting on it)."

In the meantime, cities will burn, riots will increase scale and society tear itself apart more and more. We're already at the stage where populist politicians are winning elections despite any and all warning from history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

13 minutes ago, Gorth said:

We're already at the stage where populist politicians are winning elections despite any and all warning from history.

You have to read history to learn from it, Gorth. Who's gonna do that?

• Sad 2

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

So we now see sweeping anarchy and vandalism in several  US cities, we also know 2 Kentucky policemen have been shot .....so its fair to say this is levels of unacceptable violence

Two questions I would be interested in getting peoples response to

• Is is acceptable that  going forward we  normalize this type of response when we dont agree with a court ruling, so some  people will  only not commit violence if we happy with the court ruling?
  • My primary concern with allowing the protracted strikes in cities like Portland to continue  is you set a precedent and then going forward this becomes the expected response and we will continue to experience  anarchy and violence. The number of spontaneous protests we see throughout the USA  around this  unpopular ruling will unfortunately be marked by violence. But do you see how the view " its okay to resort to violent protests if our cause is justified by us " is growing?
Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

@BruceVC

Personally, I think deep down we just want to be more like the French. It's hard for us to admit because they like wine instead of beer, but someday we'll get there. In the meantime we'll just have the sweeping anarchy and vandalism.

Edited by Achilles
typo
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Achilles said:

@BruceVC

Personally, I think deep down we just want to be more like the French. It's hard for us to admit because they like wine instead of beer, but someday we'll get there. In the meantime we'll just have the sweeping anarchy and vandalism.

You make me laugh :teehee:

But can we least agree its a little concerning that groups of people are taking to violent protests if they disagree with a court ruling ...its a slippery slope and worries me ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

But can we least agree its a little concerning that groups of people are taking to violent protests if they disagree with a court ruling

I think that out of all the things we should be concerned about, this goes pretty far down on the list.

...its a slippery slope and worries me ?

Are you not aware that this is not a new thing?

Do you think they're all gonna hop on a plane and fly to South Africa next?

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

• Is is acceptable that  going forward we  normalize this type of response when we dont agree with a court ruling, so some  people will  only not commit violence if we happy with the court ruling?
  • My primary concern with allowing the protracted strikes in cities like Portland to continue  is you set a precedent and then going forward this becomes the expected response and we will continue to experience  anarchy and violence. The number of spontaneous protests we see throughout the USA  around this  unpopular ruling will unfortunately be marked by violence. But do you see how the view " its okay to resort to violent protests if our cause is justified by us " is growing?

I'll answer your questions with a new question instead, how will you change a system that is rigged to the point where a group of men can forcefully enter an apartment, murder one of the inhabitants and not even get charged with anything at all related to the murder?

Once you know the answer to that, you have answered your own two questions, because the complete lack of faith in the police and the "judicial system" (which seems to about as effective as the Catholic church's internal dealings with pedophile priests) will start to diminish.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Let's be honest, the cops would get away with that just about anywhere.

At least Taylor's family got 12 million, Halatau Naitoko's family got a princely 225k when some AOS goon who'd watched too much Hot Fuzz decided firing his M16 at a suspect while driving on the motorway (!) was a great idea. At least the 2nd random innocent guy he hit wasn't killed, unlike Halatau.

IPCA verdict: perfectly legal and- I kid you not, this is an actual quote- "commendable" action by the officer involved despite the report admitting said officer couldn't control where he was shooting and took no notice of where his shots would go if they missed.

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

But can we least agree its a little concerning that groups of people are taking to violent protests if they disagree with a court ruling...

Eh, as long as they dont jack up my commute, I say let them s**t where they eat. It always gives me a warm fuzzy when rioters destroy the towns they live in. :lol:

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

So we now see sweeping anarchy and vandalism in several  US cities, we also know 2 Kentucky policemen have been shot .....so its fair to say this is levels of unacceptable violence

What is anarchy to you, exactly? Your questions seem to start from a stance of pearl clutching.

I don't think people are angry just due to the verdict, things like this feed on many years' worth of problems. 

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I just heard this on the radio and had to double check on the Internet. Turns out it’s true. Vladimir Putin has been nominated for a Nobel peace prize. No I didn’t get that off the onion. I didn’t think this was possible but somehow Trump looks like a better candidate now.

• Haha 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

7 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

Nah, Swedes won't like them

Nobel Peace Prize is awarded by Norwegians, though. Not sure if they collectively feel any particular way about the WHO though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Pretty much anyone and their mother can make a valid nomination, so these crazy nominations mean little. (and likewise the main prize for that matter, as shown with Obama and many others).

Do we have a university professor here? If so you can make a submission. Nominate the Obsidian forums!

https://www.nobelprize.org/nomination/peace/

Edited by Maedhros