3 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

"If you dont agree with me, youre trolling / obtuse / bad faith / an alt." :lol: Oh internet, never change.

Eh, seems pretty reasonable, given some of these actors seem to have very little reason to be so heavily invested. I mean, look at Skarpies signature, and then try to figure out why he cares about all of this from the other side of the world. Has he even vacationed in the US? Does he have family in the US? It's pretty weird.

How invested are you in what is happening in Poland?

• Like 2

Sure, you can cherry pick that poster, but theres also BVC and Oro in this thread alone. What really makes me belly laugh though are the posters that think thats a normal way to have conversations and debates. Misrepresentation, "accidental misunderstanding of points", hyper aggression, condensation... only on the internet. Otherwise in the real world, they would probably only be able to eat soup if they acted that way. :lol:

17 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Eh, seems pretty reasonable, given some of these actors seem to have very little reason to be so heavily invested. I mean, look at Skarpies signature, and then try to figure out why he cares about all of this from the other side of the world. Has he even vacationed in the US? Does he have family in the US? It's pretty weird.

Don’t try to reason with Gfted1. He’s proudly impervious to it.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

40 minutes ago, 213374U said:

It's the fundamental problem with democracy and, more generally, with people making decisions. People of voting age are susceptible to bull****. Always have, always will be. The problem for some seems to be that the ability to individually customize and deliver bull**** keeps improving. Instead of trying to curtail that by decree -which amounts to stopping progress- work on teaching people critical thinking skills. May or may not work in a capitalist social context that necessitates a high degree of compliance and conforming, though.

I find it strange when the same people who vigorously stress that living without social media and other post-modern garbage is literally literally impossible also want the government to just wave its magic wand and make the side effects of it go away -- doubly so when it's the same people who otherwise don't trust the government to organize a piss-up in a brewery. That being said, it's nothing short of willful obtuseness to say that voters are being influenced less or just as much as in the past now when the time and resources devoted to that continue to grow. However, voter turnout relative to voting age population has remained relatively constant since the 1970s, so perhaps the sensitivity to such influencing isn't as high as one may think.

Maybe not impossible but difficult, especially when someone chooses a career in a more post-modern garbage job 😉

Someone once said that the biggest positive of internet is that anyone can post anything on the internet and the biggest negative is that anyone can post anything on the internet. So yeah we have a bigger volume of manipulative BS, but we also have a bigger volume of information. So my opinion on the matter are we manipulated more now than few decades ago I would say we are manipulated less. Because for every BS out there there will be someone that will challenge that BS without restrictions. In the past the message was controlled by few, now everyone and their uncle Steve can create their own message. It's like with invention of the print. Before the information and education was limited and controlled. Now everyone can become highly education in physics, economy etc. for pennies. It also means we have mass printed BS like Twilight or Communist Manifesto, but that's ok. The pros far outweighs the cons. Same with Social Media. So yeah I would prefer that people controlling SM wouldn't have the power to control the messages posted in those SM even when the message is BS.

166215__front.jpg

28 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Gotta talk about something. Guess we could try just staring at our screens for a change.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

2 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Gotta talk about something. Guess we could try just staring at our screens for a change.

I love how these are the only two options :)

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

33 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

As a matter of fact, yes I was in US and yes I have family there. As many Poles do. I'm also politically interested because US is not some little country that have no influence on other countries. US highly influenced Poland in the past and still does. Did you know Poland just signed a deal with US regarding US military presence here? And it seems the NATO flank will be moved from Germany to Poland? Other factors as Poland having borders with Russia I think I don't have to explain? Especially to a history teacher? So yeah, I am invested in what is happening in US politics for many important reasons. I'm sure that average Smith in US doesn't care about Poland, but average Kowalski in Poland does care what happens in US and how it will influence Poland and rest of Europe.

Edited by Skarpen
  • Like 1

166215__front.jpg

30 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Otherwise in the real world, they would probably only be able to eat soup if they acted that way. :lol:

Yup, I've had a knuckle sammich once or twice. The chance of being treated to one isn't why I stopped talking politics with people irl. It's more the constant interruptions, screeching and potential damage of useful relationships which can't happen in this medium. I'll still give a piece of my mind to anyone who asks, though.

And yet, I'm not the one living in fear. The fear of getting my ass kicked for speaking my mind. The fear of communist subversion. The fear of Islamization. The fear of faceless mobs burning and looting. What can I say, maybe it's because I don't watch TV and have no SM accounts.

Edited by 213374U
can't into formatting
  • Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

15 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

^Exhibit A

Bwahahahaha. 

Agreed, but you see how they are being debated? Disingenuously and exactly as I described. :yes:

This is my favorite thing about Gfted1; his complete lack of self-awareness.

lovin' that internet, indeed.

24 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

Especially to a history teacher?

The rest of your post was awesome and insightful.

But this line is a silly dig. History teachers aren't experts on every geopolitical situation that has ever happened across the history of the world. We might have a few certain content areas that we are more well versed on than the average person,  we are hopefully capable of looking at it through a historiographical lens, and lastly we should be able to teach it in an engaging manner. Pretty simple job, really. They pay me too much! :wowey:

Edited by Hurlshot

30 minutes ago, 213374U said:

And yet, I'm not the one living in fear. The fear of getting my ass kicked for speaking my mind. The fear of communist subversion. The fear of Islamization. The fear of faceless mobs burning and looting. What can I say, maybe it's because I don't watch TV and have no SM accounts.

Obviously the Marxists have programmed you. Americans' constant fear is funny, I guess they collectively know payment due for their actions.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

20 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Exhibit B: The Delicious Irony.

If you cant debate the facts, debate the person. :lol: :lol:

Which was totally why you decided to jump in with the troll, right?

See above regarding self-awareness.

Also, you need new material.

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

Skarpen is almost certainly the alt of sharp_one, or somehow we got a guy from the same place with the same beliefs and has the same beef with Gromnir.

Going by the Trump supporters here only two live in the US. You can argue that US politics is world politics, but the parasocial relationship these fellas have with Trump is kind of weird. But we are grown men spending an inordinate amount of time on a videogame forum so such is to be expected.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Just now, Gfted1 said:

I dont have to do anything but watch you froth yourself to pieces. :shrugz:

lol. Is that what's happening?

1 hour ago, Achilles said:

I love how these are the only two options :)

Our main option is posting...posting and staring at the screen...staring at the screen or posting.  Our two options are posting and staring at the screen...and playing Obsidian games. Our *three* options are posting, staring at the screen, playing Obsidian games...and reading about Politics in other countries. Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our options.... Amongst our options...are such elements as posting, staring at the.... wait, I'll come in again.

• Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

2 hours ago, Skarpen said:

Then by all means stop responding 🙄

another reading fail.

1 hour ago, KaineParker said:

Skarpen is almost certainly the alt of sharp_one, or somehow we got a guy from the same place with the same beliefs and has the same beef with Gromnir.

you don't say?

huh.

Hu! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I'd expect any rightist to have an interest in supporting similar philosophies in other countries, especially the US since it is important*. It's not really any more surprising than having Obama stans among more lefty international board members. Most of the left leaning international board members supported Bernie; maybe not as assiduously as Skarpen supports Trump but then Bernie isn't President nor candidate. But you can be assured that if Bernie were a candidate I would be regaling the forum with my rendition of L'Internationale in his honour, daily.

*I'd very strongly suspect that Skarpen would support Orban in Hungary as well, we just don't hear about it because with all due respect Hungary isn't anywhere near as important internationally as the US is. The current Polish government is very strongly Trumpist (well, Orbanist is probably more accurate but few people know who Viktor Orban even is) and quite isolated in Europe because of it and they need international cover.