A few things that would be nice for builder-sorts...

Just to state off the bat, I'm aware of creative mode.   But some people like building and challenge both.

So anyway, a few nice additions/suggestions...

1 - A mutagen that increases carrying capacity of stems/grass.  
2 - Pallets that hold considerably more stems/grass.  Right now they hold so few.
3 - Pallets that allow construction of walls/etc directly from the bed.   This would give them an actual purpose outside of just aesthetic, since laying weeds/grass directly on the ground works just as well currently.

Edited by Shawn Spencer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Shawn Spencer said:

Just to state off the bat, I'm aware of creative mode.   But some people like building and challenge both.

2 - Pallets that hold considerably more stems/grass.  Right now they hold so few.
3 - Pallets that allow construction of walls/etc directly from the bed.   This would give them an actual purpose outside of just aesthetic, since laying weeds/grass directly on the ground works just as well currently.

HOLY BALLS ~YES~
I can stack MORE grass or stem in the same amount of space that a storage sits in .... 

Currently the ONLY reasons to use the Grass and Stem storages is for looks ... 
and to cut down on system load from having the items bouncing on top of each other constantly

An Acorn Chest holds something close to 300 Pebbets .... but a Stem Storage holds what ... 24 Stems ??

I've probably spent easily 80% of my 730+ Game Days just running back and forth with Stems ... 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/18/2020 at 2:26 PM, Shawn Spencer said:

I may be wrong but I think that things just dropped will despawn after a few in game days. I had stuffed aphids and mites that I placed on my crow feather bed that disappeared and a bombardier beetle dropped outside that disappeared. The purpose of the pallets and stem racks anchor those items to the game. Also, I have had a ton of grass planks despawn after a few days as I was farming plant fibers and not collecting the planks. Someone correct me if I am mistaken. 

30 minutes ago, Harmageddon4 said:

I may be wrong but I think that things just dropped will despawn after a few in game days. I had stuffed aphids and mites that I placed on my crow feather bed that disappeared and a bombardier beetle dropped outside that disappeared. The purpose of the pallets and stem racks anchor those items to the game. Also, I have had a ton of grass planks despawn after a few days as I was farming plant fibers and not collecting the planks. Someone correct me if I am mistaken. 

This was NOT the case when the game first released. Nothing despawned, ever.
Games were crashing purely from the amount of grass fiber laying on the ground from cutting grass ...
I'm not positive if that is stable and working for everyone or not. 
I know a lot of people are still having trouble with Grass and Stems NOT Respawning after they've been cut.
Some players say you need to cut down the base for it to respawn,
and others say if you cut down the base that is what prevents it from respawning ... 
We kinda need some feedback from the Devs on what it's SUPPOSED to do ... so that we players can report on what is not working properly.
At the moment, that topic is mostly a lot or hearsay and panic.

But the Spawning/Despawning Conversation  .... still has NOTHING to do with the Fact, 
That I can put 300 Pebbets the ~size of a players head~ in a tiny Acorn Chest
But only 24 Stems/Planks on what is essentially a Cargo Pallet.
And if I just throw stems between 2 Uncut Grass Stalks roughly the distance of a Pallet  ... I can fit at least 3 Pallets worth of Stem in that space.
We just want better storage, without having to build a warehouse the size of the Piknik Table to hold the same amount of Stems as you can put Pebbets, in 5 Acorn Chests.

29 minutes ago, Gnith said:

This was NOT the case when the game first released. Nothing despawned, ever.
Games were crashing purely from the amount of grass fiber laying on the ground from cutting grass ...
I'm not positive if that is stable and working for everyone or not. 

fixed in the 8/26 patch -

• Items left in the world (not in a container, etc.) for 48-72 in-game hours will eventually despawn once out of range of all players. Items loaded from a saved game from version 0.1.x, will have all item timers start at zero to give players a chance to react to this change.
30 minutes ago, Gnith said:

I know a lot of people are still having trouble with Grass and Stems NOT Respawning after they've been cut.
Some players say you need to cut down the base for it to respawn,
and others say if you cut down the base that is what prevents it from respawning ... 
We kinda need some feedback from the Devs on what it's SUPPOSED to do ... so that we players can report on what is not working properly.
At the moment, that topic is mostly a lot or hearsay and panic.

That was an unexpected change i believe with the 2.0 or 2.1 patch, forget when it started happening to my game.

I used to be able to cut grass and leave the stumps and it wouldn't grow back.  I had a clearing of grass around my main base this way so none of the grass went into and through my walls/floors/etc.  After one of these patches that grass grew back, and cutting it down to the stumps like before to stop it from regrowing doesn't work now.

I think they should have a diameter around our walls where no grass can grow to prevent it growing through our walls and such.

The work-around now is to build a clay or pebblet foundation to keep it from growing.

36 minutes ago, Gnith said:

But the Spawning/Despawning Conversation  .... still has NOTHING to do with the Fact, 
That I can put 300 Pebbets the ~size of a players head~ in a tiny Acorn Chest
But only 24 Stems/Planks on what is essentially a Cargo Pallet.
And if I just throw stems between 2 Uncut Grass Stalks roughly the distance of a Pallet  ... I can fit at least 3 Pallets worth of Stem in that space.
We just want better storage, without having to build a warehouse the size of the Piknik Table to hold the same amount of Stems as you can put Pebbets, in 5 Acorn Chests.

i'd like to see maybe double the amount in a pallet.  40 would be good, 5 trips to fill with the ant armor, 4 with the ant armor + buff.   or a bin you can build to just toss it in like you mention between the grass stalks,  make it with stem walls and such to hold 120 or so stems.

Xbox One X

50 minutes ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

i'd like to see maybe double the amount in a pallet.  40 would be good, 5 trips to fill with the ant armor, 4 with the ant armor + buff.   or a bin you can build to just toss it in like you mention between the grass stalks,  make it with stem walls and such to hold 120 or so stems.

I'd be Totally happy with this .... 
not only would that be more reasonable ... it would give me a new thing to build ... lol

• Like 1

I think the current pallet limits are fine for early game. That said, it would be great if you were able to upgrade buildings later on, adding more materials to expand them. I'd imagine as the game is further developed and we can progress further into the late game, more effective versions of existing buildings would become available; like how acorn chests are an upgrade to storage baskets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gearhart said:

I think the current pallet limits are fine for early game. That said, it would be great if you were able to upgrade buildings later on, adding more materials to expand them. I'd imagine as the game is further developed and we can progress further into the late game, more effective versions of existing buildings would become available; like how acorn chests are an upgrade to storage baskets.

The only real problem with that is managing the code to upgrade a "Building" that was not made as a single piece, but of individual non-identical parts.

You could make it so that there was a upgrade for each wall, floor, foundation .... 
but that would be just as tedious as the original construction ... and in many cases impossible to get to some of the parts of a completed Structure, without building scaffolding around it just so you could reach it all.

I just don't see anyway to upgrade an entire structure built with the system we have now .... 
that doesn't involve basically rewriting the entire Building Construction Code from scratch ..... it would be a nightmare.

I'd imagine the upgrade style @Gearhart mentioned would be similar to Ark, upgrade the existing plank floor to a stem floor, or whatever we get in the future, so the structure stays intact, you wouldn't have to worry about destroying the piece and have other sections collapse.

Xbox One X

17 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

I'd imagine the upgrade style @Gearhart mentioned would be similar to Ark, upgrade the existing plank floor to a stem floor, or whatever we get in the future, so the structure stays intact, you wouldn't have to worry about destroying the piece and have other sections collapse.

exactly. I've never played Ark; but I have played 7days to die, and that game had a tool you could use to upgrade buildings, provided you had the proper materials. Now, given that many buildings in Grounded use materials that are hauled; a tool wouldn't really work here, but perhaps we could add something that allows players to opt to "upgrade" an existing wall when they are carrying the necessary materials; being able to upgrade grass walls to sturdy walls when you're carrying weed stems and woven plant fiber for example.

4 hours ago, Gearhart said:

exactly. I've never played Ark; but I have played 7days to die, and that game had a tool you could use to upgrade buildings, provided you had the proper materials. Now, given that many buildings in Grounded use materials that are hauled; a tool wouldn't really work here, but perhaps we could add something that allows players to opt to "upgrade" an existing wall when they are carrying the necessary materials; being able to upgrade grass walls to sturdy walls when you're carrying weed stems and woven plant fiber for example.

If they did it like Ark, and if my memory is working (it's been a couple years since i played it) you had to have the upgrade materials in your inventory, then when you'd upgrade from a wood to stone floor, you'd get the wood floor materials back in your inventory.  I'm thinking you did the upgrade like building a new piece, just put the blueprint over the existing, but i might be wrong there.

Xbox One X

On 9/22/2020 at 2:32 PM, McSquirl Nugget said:

I'm thinking you did the upgrade like building a new piece, just put the blueprint over the existing, but i might be wrong there.

I think this method would work, as it is basically expanding and replicating the BluePrint sections of code to new purpose.
With obviously the addition of some new menuing ... 

I'd hope that once the Upgrade Blueprint was set ... that you'd still have the previously built piece of structure, 
just with a new highlight, of green or orange or something... until you've finished adding the upgrade materials.
Then the piece would switch to the new form and any "refund" ingredients would be sorted out into your inventory or into the world to be picked up.

On 9/18/2020 at 7:57 PM, Gnith said:

HOLY BALLS ~YES~
I can stack MORE grass or stem in the same amount of space that a storage sits in .... 

Currently the ONLY reasons to use the Grass and Stem storages is for looks ... 
and to cut down on system load from having the items bouncing on top of each other constantly

An Acorn Chest holds something close to 300 Pebbets .... but a Stem Storage holds what ... 24 Stems ??

I've probably spent easily 80% of my 730+ Game Days just running back and forth with Stems ... 

So true, hauling stems and weeds around the map is one of my main occupations.