Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey everybody, brand new to the site, so I haven’t had time to look through all the threads yet. I’m sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I’d like to hear some ideas for future enemies. I know things like hornets, bees, water striders, and leeches are coming in the near future, but I’m thinking more along the lines of some raid bosses. 

Examples: the crow, maybe a mouse or rat, baby/small snake, black widows, praying mantis, etc.

 

What do yall think?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A praying mantis would be a very cool addition since its such an iconic bug. It would also open up a lot of neat weapon ideas. (ie. Twin Mantis Blades made from the claws)

Black widows would also be neat as a different, even tougher variant of spider.

However, I feel like it would currently be unrealistic to add enemies that aren't insects, as our armor/weapons seem barely strong enough to take on your average backyard spider...and a bird/rat/snake will literally eat those for dinner. I feel like we would at least need weapons that are several tiers higher (perhaps even moving into the realm of 'guns') to make it believable that it could take down something that isn't from the insect realm.

Edited by Nyr1n
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nyr1n said:

A praying mantis would be a very cool addition since its such an iconic bug. It would also open up a lot of neat weapon ideas. (ie. Twin Mantis Blades made from the claws)

Black widows would also be neat as a different, even tougher variant of spider.

However, I feel like it would currently be unrealistic to add enemies that aren't insects, as our armor/weapons seem barely strong enough to take on your average backyard spider...and a bird/rat/snake will literally eat those for dinner. I feel like we would at least need weapons that are several tiers higher (perhaps even moving into the realm of 'guns') to make it believable that it could take down something that isn't from the insect realm.

Yea the mantis claws were exactly what I was thinking about. Dual-wield, quick striking scythes basically. 

 

But that’s a good point about the non-insects. Wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense yet. I just want some boss fights! The broodmother is the only “boss” in the game right now and I’m pretty sure it’s purposely designed to let you stand on a branch and chip away with arrows. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, RDAnderson said:

Hey everybody, brand new to the site, so I haven’t had time to look through all the threads yet. I’m sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I’d like to hear some ideas for future enemies. I know things like hornets, bees, water striders, and leeches are coming in the near future, but I’m thinking more along the lines of some raid bosses. 

Examples: the crow, maybe a mouse or rat, baby/small snake, black widows, praying mantis, etc.

 

What do yall think?

there's an awesome feature in the forums called Search :)  

  • Hmmm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2020 at 9:46 AM, RDAnderson said:

Hey everybody, brand new to the site, so I haven’t had time to look through all the threads yet. I’m sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I’d like to hear some ideas for future enemies. I know things like hornets, bees, water striders, and leeches are coming in the near future, but I’m thinking more along the lines of some raid bosses. 

Examples: the crow, maybe a mouse or rat, baby/small snake, black widows, praying mantis, etc.

 

What do yall think?

Although it would be near impossible to take on the these creatures face to face, I would love to see some other ways to kill them. For example, setting up traps (like being able to arm old mouse traps in order to kill a mouse) could be really cool. And I would love to see some more boss- type enemies (like the hedge broodmother, only less disappointing.)

Edited by YaBoyJenkins
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

there's an awesome feature in the forums called Search :)  

Just so happens I did a search for thread titles with the words “new enemy ideas” in it and nothing popped up relating to Grounded. The search function isn’t very useful on here from what I’ve seen so far

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RDAnderson said:

Just so happens I did a search for thread titles with the words “new enemy ideas” in it and nothing popped up relating to Grounded. The search function isn’t very useful on here from what I’ve seen so far

Not useful when you search for your topic name :) 

Interesting that searching for that same string gave me half a dozen or so threads here in Grounded and a bunch of threads for other games with a wide open search

 

Edited by McSquirl Nugget
can't spell before coffee
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

Not useful when you search for your topic name :) 

Interesting that searching for that same string gave me half a dozen or so threads here in Grounded and a bunch of threads for other games with a wide open search

 

Interesting that someone who’s been here for months has a better grasp on forum nuances than someone who has been here for a day. 

 

Ive seen some of your comments in other threads. You’re “that guy.” The snarky,  condescending, elitist. I’d ask if there’s a block feature, but I’m sure you’d say something like “oh I don’t know, maybe click on their username and find out 🙂

God willing, I’ll find it. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 11:42 PM, RDAnderson said:

Interesting that someone who’s been here for months has a better grasp on forum nuances than someone who has been here for a day. 

 

Ive seen some of your comments in other threads. You’re “that guy.” The snarky,  condescending, elitist. I’d ask if there’s a block feature, but I’m sure you’d say something like “oh I don’t know, maybe click on their username and find out 🙂

God willing, I’ll find it. 

Yes yes he is that guy indeed. Just ignore him. Giving attention just encourages those types.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ksandra McKay said:

Yes yes he is that guy indeed. Just ignore him. Giving attention just encourages those types.

 

 

On 9/18/2020 at 11:42 PM, RDAnderson said:

Interesting that someone who’s been here for months has a better grasp on forum nuances than someone who has been here for a day. 

 

Ive seen some of your comments in other threads. You’re “that guy.” The snarky,  condescending, elitist. I’d ask if there’s a block feature, but I’m sure you’d say something like “oh I don’t know, maybe click on their username and find out 🙂

God willing, I’ll find it. 

Oh the ignore feature is the little x under the user name :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

suggestion: hi obsidian,my regard from indonesia,me and my friend really like this game so much,we have spent over 200 hours in the game ,we have built bases and collect all the materials,and now we have nothing to do, we want to suggest that we think u guys could add something that always hunt us at night if we dont go to sleep, that would be amazing and much more challenging,a lot of overwhelming positive rate games tht has this kind of system, or maybe add alarm when is it close to the night, so we could immediately goback to base or go to sleep to avoid something attacking us,or we can fight them as well,and a second suggestion is for dedicated server for multiplayer that we can play even if the host isnt available,that would be great as well,we hope u guys hearing us,we will really appricate it,we truly want that grounded will be the best game of all.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2020 at 11:46 AM, RDAnderson said:

Hey everybody, brand new to the site, so I haven’t had time to look through all the threads yet. I’m sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I’d like to hear some ideas for future enemies. I know things like hornets, bees, water striders, and leeches are coming in the near future, but I’m thinking more along the lines of some raid bosses. 

Examples: the crow, maybe a mouse or rat, baby/small snake, black widows, praying mantis, etc.

 

What do yall think?

Love the idea of the bosses or even mini bosses for “raiding”! All those idea are great.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grounded24 said:

Love the idea of the bosses or even mini bosses for “raiding”! All those idea are great.

there's kinda one already in the game, the broodmother, at least when i fought her she had an orb weaver with her, i guess you could call that a mini-boss maybe.  And possibly the queen ant when she's added.

 

5 hours ago, davideurwyn said:

we want to suggest that we think u guys could add something that always hunt us at night if we dont go to sleep, that would be amazing and much more challenging,

That's an awesome idea.  They're eventually going to add nocturnal insects, maybe one of those could hunt us :)  The alarm you mentioned could come from the SCA.B wrist unit, maybe have it flash when it's dark enough the "hunters" come out.

And the dedicated servers they're thinking about.

Link to post
Share on other sites
From the Post  Suggestion : Praying Mantis by Snabbaronen
Quote

  On 9/12/2020 at 2:43 PM, Gnith said:

A Praying Mantis would be a nearly impossible opponent to defeat.
It's speed and precision are unmatched.
Able to snatch a flying Hummingbird from the air.
We would be slow, easy prey for them.

The mantis is really cool, but I think it would be more than we could handle if made even moderately accurate.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mantises are huge, at least 5 times longer than a ladybug. We could make a two handed thrusting spear out of a foreleg alone. However, it would be incredibly difficult to kill. The good news is that due to it's size and appetite, it would seek out larger prey than us, like spiders. Also, their eyes detect motion rather than shape and color, so we should be able to hide from it by moving slowly. The best part is; they're messy eaters, so we should be able to lure tough enemies to it and loot their corpses afterward. We wouldn't get quite as much loot from it as we would if we had killed the enemy ourselves.

Personally, I think with adding new creatures, they should start with smaller ones and work their way up in size, simply because larger creatures don't eat everything smaller than them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Gearhart said:

Mantises are huge, at least 5 times longer than a ladybug. We could make a two handed thrusting spear out of a foreleg alone. However, it would be incredibly difficult to kill. The good news is that due to it's size and appetite, it would seek out larger prey than us, like spiders. Also, their eyes detect motion rather than shape and color, so we should be able to hide from it by moving slowly. The best part is; they're messy eaters, so we should be able to lure tough enemies to it and loot their corpses afterward. We wouldn't get quite as much loot from it as we would if we had killed the enemy ourselves.

Personally, I think with adding new creatures, they should start with smaller ones and work their way up in size, simply because larger creatures don't eat everything smaller than them.

agreed,  plus mantids are one of the apex predators in the bug world, not many other insects can best them.  I always liked watching the Bug Wars shows when they had mantids.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

agreed,  plus mantids are one of the apex predators in the bug world, not many other insects can best them.  I always liked watching the Bug Wars shows when they had mantids.

Forget insects; mantids have been shown to kill and devour small birds, fish, and even frogs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 11:42 PM, RDAnderson said:

Interesting that someone who’s been here for months has a better grasp on forum nuances than someone who has been here for a day. 

 

Ive seen some of your comments in other threads. You’re “that guy.” The snarky,  condescending, elitist. I’d ask if there’s a block feature, but I’m sure you’d say something like “oh I don’t know, maybe click on their username and find out 🙂

God willing, I’ll find it. 

He just speaks his mind in an unfiltered way. We are all different and that's how it should be. On the other hand, his comments are also very much liked by other members. 😉 

Sorry McSquirrel, for speaking for you. But I believe in freedom of speech. 

 

Kindly,

Moni

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the idea of mantis and black widow just for the weapon/possibilities. I’ve got a few Dragonflies / Horseflies, Cicadas,  Grasshoppers/ Crickets, ****roaches, mosquitos and  different Wasps/  Hornets if they aren’t already in development. I noticed someone mentioned centipedes/millipedes they would be terrifying. Ooh Scorpions/Camel spiders they’re so many horrible forms of arachnids that would be great in this game and they could add bulldog ants easily. They are working on pets why not add a woodlouse. In England we have a bug called a earwig they are pretty awful, I don’t know what it’s known as around the world. There’s my ideas, theres some horrible creep crawlies I’ve probably missed. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There should be strategic ways to kill certain bugs and that way it will make the game interesting. Not just hack and slash of what you see in the game! Befriend other bugs to help you attack it like the spider or ants! 

Some examples 

  • Tarntulas and praying mantises eat each other, with the victory meal usually going to whoever is bigger.
  • giant hornet
  • Night-hunting bats
  • Bull Frog
  • Parasite slow death 

WIth your avatar more traps, weapons, etc to catch it! Have you seen Zero horizon dawn and how the many ways you can take down a robot this should be in the game too! 

This is very arcade but they have lots of ways of bring things down. :) I suggest this game also do the same! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpODS56GeQ&t=288s

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PantherChameleon said:

There should be strategic ways to kill certain bugs and that way it will make the game interesting. Not just hack and slash of what you see in the game! Befriend other bugs to help you attack it like the spider or ants! 

Some examples 

  • Tarntulas and praying mantises eat each other, with the victory meal usually going to whoever is bigger.
  • giant hornet
  • Night-hunting bats
  • Bull Frog
  • Parasite slow death 

WIth your avatar more traps, weapons, etc to catch it! Have you seen Zero horizon dawn and how the many ways you can take down a robot this should be in the game too! 

This is very arcade but they have lots of ways of bring things down. :) I suggest this game also do the same! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIpODS56GeQ&t=288s

Tarantulas could be done, i could see those being a 4 player boss type.  they'd be roughly 8 to 10 times the size of the orbs and wolf spiders, Aphonopelma chalcodes or maybe A. anax would be the most common to put in the game.  Fangs would be bigger than us, then the venom, and the urticulating hairs we'd have to worry about when battling them.

The rest I'd rather not see.  we don't want this turned into an arcade, it's a sim.

Edited by McSquirl Nugget
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 4:10 PM, McSquirl Nugget said:

there's kinda one already in the game, the broodmother, at least when i fought her she had an orb weaver with her, i guess you could call that a mini-boss maybe.  And possibly the queen ant when she's added.

 

That's an awesome idea.  They're eventually going to add nocturnal insects, maybe one of those could hunt us :)  The alarm you mentioned could come from the SCA.B wrist unit, maybe have it flash when it's dark enough the "hunters" come out.

And the dedicated servers they're thinking about.

Technically, there already is a nocturnal arthropod in the game; wolf spiders are nocturnal predators IRL, and the August update changed their sleep schedules to reflect this.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...