Spoiled Meat and Ants

I have noticed of late, that the ants will cluster around pieces of Spoiled Meat in the yard.  They don't take the meat, I assume because it is spoiled, but they do still seem to want to take it.   They disperse if you pick up the spoiled meat and destroy it, otherwise they just keep accumulating at that spot.   

12 hours ago, Michael Skinner said:

I have noticed of late, that the ants will cluster around pieces of Spoiled Meat in the yard.  They don't take the meat, I assume because it is spoiled, but they do still seem to want to take it.   They disperse if you pick up the spoiled meat and destroy it, otherwise they just keep accumulating at that spot.   

its great for bait ;)

Yes, I am not seeing any Worker Ants bringing Food back to the Food Chamber in the Hill...they are simply amazed at Spoiled Meat!  I've seen them pickup Honeydew...but not go back to the Hill to fill the food chamber. They love to chase and kill Weevils, they don't have the 'follow thru' of taking the loot back and feeding the 'eggs'/young.

12 hours ago, Rex P. said:

Yes, I am not seeing any Worker Ants bringing Food back to the Food Chamber in the Hill...they are simply amazed at Spoiled Meat!  I've seen them pickup Honeydew...but not go back to the Hill to fill the food chamber. They love to chase and kill Weevils, they don't have the 'follow thru' of taking the loot back and feeding the 'eggs'/young.

just kill all worker ants in the yard, sleep and go inside the hill. You should see eggs.

On 9/14/2020 at 1:31 PM, Michael Skinner said:

The reason that is happening is because ants will eat the spoiled meat. Since several ants are trying to eat it the meat never gets consumed. Because if one ant tries to eat it, the other interrupts the animation. If there are many ants then the cycle just keeps resetting and the meat never gets eaten. They stop as soon as you take the meat yourself. They won't be aggressive if you steal their spoiled meat. They just just confused and then go on their way. 

You can however use this as a reason to start killing them off since there are several in one spot. 

Edited by RazielDERF