15 hours ago, mepp22 said:

Single class Ciphers are probably the best class with bombs because of Shared Nightmare, but soloing with a cipher might be difficult.

1. Thanks. If it's so difficulty as play solo chpher, what best choice w/ armor and weapons? light/medium/heavy armor? weapon+shield/weapon+weapon/2H-wep/bows or guns?

2. What about two-handed weapons + heavy armor? Think Paladin/Chanter for damage/health from paladin and helps from Chanter's summoning?

Edited by tptpt

shared nightmare + bombs isn't bad, but i'm not sure the interaction is strong enough to be worth going for a cipher on its own. explosives are fun, but not really strong enough to be a build-around.

i don't have much experience on what makes for a solo build, however. at first blush, fighter ranger and rogue all also have good synergy with explosives and might perform better at solo. fighter can use disciplined strikes or tactical barrage; the stat boost won't help, but the graze to hit chance, the hit to crit chance, and +1 PL will all help. rogues can hold more items, and dirty fighting will also boost exploives [and having smoke veil or shadowing beyond to go invisible can help a lot with soloing]. ranger has tons of ways to boost generic accuracy and damage, which will help explosives.

Edited by thelee

Shadowing Beyond is not great with all bombs that apply a DoT. You will immediately break invisibility. Smoke Veil on the other hand works very well.

Speaking of bombs: what I found out about traps yesterday was new for me. I placed a burning trap near some non-hostile guys who stood besides some gunpowder barrels (Cotta and his buddies). The idea was that I trigger the fight, the NPCs turn hostile, run into the trap and boom - death by gunpowder. But instead the trap got triggered immediately by the barrels themselves. I could retreat quickly enough to not get caught in the following gunpowder blast, but all except one of those guys were dead. And the best part: nobody turned hostile. Not even Cotta. 😄

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I had a lot of fun lobbing bombs playing thelee's Umezawa's build. It's a very fast and deadly priest of wael/streetfighter glass cannon build. It's dual wield, tho, so is not exactly what you are looking for. It's one of the few builds I've seen in which explosives play an integral role.

Edited by dgray62
clarity

It depends what do you want to do with bombs. They're useless on dealing damage, but can be decent as utility tools for some classes. I think, tactican/trickster would benefit the most. Put some points in Res, high dex/int/per, 10 mig with buffs and eq(sneak atk and deathblows gives all you need in terms of dmg), grab wotep (offensive parry + mule kick in cone), nomad brig for mobility. Mirrored image, refreshing defence, and unbending are enough for tanking and riposte. Cinder bomb apply blind and interrupt vs reflex, sparkcrackers - distracted vs will, and implosion charge for grouping mobs. 

Easy brilliant, good survivability, decent dmg and enjoyable gameplay with some micromenagement

immolator, grenade, and concussive bombs aren't actually bad for dealing damage, especially with lots of skill points in explosives (at 20 explosives, it's +100% multiplicative damage, +100% duration [for grenade's/incerator DoT], +5 PEN, and +20 accuracy). the main problem is that grenade and concussion push around enemies so much so it's hard to keep enemies in range of successive hits (works better indoors), and immolator has such low starting PEN (6) that it has a real hard time being useful on veteran or PotD until mid-late game.

edit: like @powerotti says cinder bombs are good from start to finish. easy to craft, you craft them in multiples, blinding is always useful, you get multiple attempts to blind per bomb, and does an ok amount of damage for a bomb (frankly, cinder bombs are a lifesaver in the starting areas on potd). make sure to hoard spice to keep crafting them.

Edited by thelee