19 hours ago, majestic said:

No, but I had 10 attacks/round fighter/thief player characters with Foebane +5 and multiple Assassinations.

Oh, come on. Fully upgraded WK weapons and HLAs? Combat is a pointless chore long before that if you have played through 20 times any game knowledge whatsoever. You can abuse Mislead from like Chapter 5 or so. And for absolute maximum literal endgame (read: Throne of Blood showdown) dps nothing beats dc'ing good old Koveras into a Mage as soon as you get him in your party.

Ah... just talking about this sucks the fun out of the game, heh.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

1 hour ago, 213374U said:

Oh, come on. Fully upgraded WK weapons and HLAs? Combat is a pointless chore long before that if you have played through 20 times any game knowledge whatsoever. You can abuse Mislead from like Chapter 5 or so. And for absolute maximum literal endgame (read: Throne of Blood showdown) dps nothing beats dc'ing good old Koveras into a Mage as soon as you get him in your party.

Ah... just talking about this sucks the fun out of the game, heh.

Well you can do Watcher's Keep fresh out of Chateau Irenicus (at least up to the Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization, farther if you don't mind cheese and rest spamming), and Kundane/Belm is available fairly early. Even with only the normal haste and prior to the final attack per round bonus you can trounce everything and it only gets better from there, and a party size of three or four characters makes sure you dip into HLA level... well, well before the Underdark.

Fighter/Mages are better, sure. Whether it is your old buddy Koveras or a home made Kensai/Mage dual class, or even a plain old F/M MC. But an F/T is in my opinion the only way to play a thief character in BG2 without gimping yourself compared to everything else that's available. Except maybe single class clerics. Ugh. I'd rather waste time laying traps than that. :p

Talking about the game is the only way I play it since Ascension came out.

Combat being a chore is why my player characters usually end up having fighter levels and never venturing out with a full party of 6. DC or MC... doesn't matter that much. But that's also true for IWD. Start the game with three fighters that DC into a thief, a mage and a cleric (or druid if you feel lucky but that stat roll needed, whew) at level 9. Liberally rest until healed and just walk over traps until you can DC. The proceed to destroy everything a lot easier than it would have been otherwise.

The IWD EE and IWD2 being exceptions of course. Bringing a sorcerer in IWD is just ridiculous enough to merit it's inclusion every time (bring a paladin, sorcerer and fighter/druid playing on Insane. Cheese yourself through the beginning and enjoy) and IWD2 is a whole different can of worms.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Honestly I can't think of many situations where a single class thief would be better than the thief multiclass or dual class options. I guess if you want to ride Assassin to that x7 multiplier, but being able to reliably hit **** and spells seems more useful when a x4 multiplier can drop a lot of enemies already.

I don't think I've ever played vanilla BG lmao.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

22 minutes ago, KaineParker said:

Honestly I can't think of many situations where a single class thief would be better than the thief multiclass or dual class options. I guess if you want to ride Assassin to that x7 multiplier, but being able to reliably hit **** and spells seems more useful when a x4 multiplier can drop a lot of enemies already.

Agree, one of the most OP builds I ever made was a thief/duelist Dex tank in NWN2. It had great DPS because of free attacks of oportunity against afflictions and a hell of a defense because of applying intelligence to AC and that intelligence meant more skill points.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Didn't read entire thread but in terms of Minsc/original question:

I never disliked Minsc, per se, but I had no use for him in my party, and while sure some of his lines are nostalgia-iconic, I didn't want to listen to him screaming, either.  I think I ended up killing him at some point because he was mad at "me" or something.  eg, I preferred others in terms of story/chr choices and in combat.  Edit: my reference comes largely from BG1, I didn't finish BG2.

I did like the picture of Boo.  

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

10 hours ago, KaineParker said:

It's hard to come up with an AD&D 2nd Edition based game where a single class thief is a good choice. They're all best replaced by dual (where supported) or multi classes even in the old Gold Box games. A problem that's not limited to thieves though, clerics have the same issue. Being locked into a single attack per round with terrible chances to hit the enemy in games where hitting things and physical combat is most of the focus is... a bad mix.

In that way it's good that 3E tried to mix it up a bit, even if they didn't always succeed (rogues are still super front loaded in terms of skills and in IWD2 that means a single rogue level at the beginnig is enough to carry you through the game if you take high intelligence and level as wizard).

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

10 hours ago, KaineParker said:

Swashbuckler was a decent single class thief.

• Like 2

166215__front.jpg

I play a thief (a proper one, as in one who steals stuff) type character in just about every RPG with customisable player characters these days, but thankfully that wasn't the case during the IE days (but before Dragon Age). I'm pretty sure I played through BG2 as a sorcerer, and I don't even have the foggiest idea who the notional thief of the party was. I have no memory of relying on any of Imoen, Nalia, Jan or Yoshimo but surely I did, right? Even if only for trap disarm XP, I was a bit of a mix-maxer back then.

Come to think of it, the only NPCs I can remember definitely using full-time are Aerie and Valygar. God, I'm getting old.

• Thanks 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

My friend is playing through the BG games for the first time, and he just finished BG1 with a party of Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Dynaheir, and...Ajantis? Yeah. He just started BG2 yesterday and sent me this:

4fc9bw.jpg

...So that's coincidentally very topical.

Baldur's Gate Reloaded: Doing anything in NWN/2 is so much slower, clunkier, and needlessly complicated than it was in the BG series. There are certainly other types of improvements to be had, but if the general user control experience is significantly worse, then it'll always be a pretty tough sell.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

3 hours ago, majestic said:

Speaking of BG2...

A 20 year old game remade in a 14 year old game? Ought to be interesting. Whatever happened to BG1 in NWN2?

There's been a few attempts to make BG2 in games with toolsets/modability. Last I was aware of was in Dragon Age, which probably collapsed when they actually had to play Dragon Age. Would be funny if the one that actually manages it is BG3.

37 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

My friend is playing through the BG games for the first time, and he just finished BG1 with a party of Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Dynaheir, and...Ajantis? Yeah. He just started BG2 yesterday and sent me this:

4fc9bw.jpg

...So that's coincidentally very topical.

I guess he already hit Windspear Hills.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

On 9/16/2020 at 8:18 PM, Gromnir said:

am knowing bg3 is soon to be released, but the thread topic is a bit stale at this point, no?.

HA! Good Fun!

I disagree. The topic is related to Minsc ''apparently'' being in BG3 (as some kind of statue?) so it's relevant. 

On 9/16/2020 at 10:35 PM, majestic said:

Sure is, but we're making the best of a SonicMage117 StupidSeal troll thread. So there's that... :)

You know you love it 😉

9 hours ago, StupidSeal said:

The topic is related to Minsc ''apparently'' being in BG3...

I could have sworn that I read an article where the statue is the actual Minsc, but petrified. Then it gets hit with stone to flesh and voila, Minsc is back. But I cant find the article now so I may have made that all up in my head.

not accurate, but would make more sense than the actual story

not petrified, 'cause petrified would be too tame? instead, is an accidental pinocchio kinda/sorta bit o' blame it on magic wackiness. 

the forgotten realms suck.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

I could have sworn that I read an article where the statue is the actual Minsc, but petrified. Then it gets hit with stone to flesh and voila, Minsc is back. But I cant find the article now so I may have made that all up in my head.

It's in a comic, Legends of Baldur's Gate. I think it's supposed to be a prequel series to BG3?

On 9/18/2020 at 9:54 PM, Gfted1 said:

I recall hearing the same thing! I doubt it's all in your head. In other words you are not crazy. Well, not yet. 

2 hours ago, StupidSeal said:

I recall hearing the same thing! I doubt it's all in your head. In other words you are not crazy. Well, not yet. 

I think its time we told you that every avatar in these forum is one of the personalities of the some schizophrenic. I don't who he is we never met him or her.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

On 9/20/2020 at 2:22 AM, Orogun01 said:

I think its time we told you that every avatar in these forum is one of the personalities of the some schizophrenic. I don't who he is we never met him or her.

****. You're right. I abide by this theory. 

Hey now!  Bite me!  My cat is not an avatar of schizophrenia. Still, while .y my seal friend is clearly a doofus, I'll own that I've always been a little put off by the Minsc shtick. 

Edit:  Clearly should wait until later to post further.

Edited by MedicineDan
  • Sad 1

"Not for the sake of much time..."

• 4 weeks later...

Binsc and Moo is the real trawling that went down recently ... leave it to the French to create Boo as a space hamster who controls giant rats named Moo ... but considering the French do satire with puppets on TV I shouldn't be surprised.  I am leaving this comment vague because not sure I want to admit I played and beat The Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk: Amulet of Chaos ... [that was my French humor] 😅

https://www.programme-tv.net/videos/swip/quand-les-guignols-imaginent-la-suite-des-aveux-de-lance-armstrong_11925

Edited by bringingyouthefuture
typo
  • Like 1

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

On 10/22/2020 at 7:48 PM, Lorfean said:

I liked Minsc when I was younger (ie. when BG and BG2 were released). Nowadays I usually take Kivan or Valygar instead.

That makes sense. I always liked the other rangers more than Minsc. Cool signature by the way. 

• Thanks 1