16 minutes ago, Chilloutman said:

I never found anyone in BG series annoying.. maybe they all have like 10 lines of dialog max? But I don't like Jan for some reason, I was never a fan of short races in BG engine

Jan's pretty 50/50 people hate him or love him. I don't like him either. 

1 minute ago, Gizmo said:

Xan

Could you expand on Xan? What are your feelings on him? Do you like him? 

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

Just be careful not to get wrapped up in a roman numeral sex cult. 

Something we've all done.

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I liked him when I played the game for the first time years ago, but found his shtick quite tiresome on the recent playthrough. And even then it's not exactly Minsc who's annoying, it's that disgusting little squeaky pest of his. Wish the game had some cat I could save from a tree and feed it that furry annoyance, so at least in death it would be of some use. :down:

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, bugarup said:

I liked him when I played the game for the first time years ago, but found his shtick quite tiresome on the recent playthrough. And even then it's not exactly Minsc who's annoying, it's that disgusting little squeaky pest of his. Wish the game had some cat I could save from a tree and feed it that furry annoyance, so at least in death it would be of some use. :down:

Just think of how many food, health and safety violations Boo has broken. Truly a disgusting beast. I could do my own post on that little monster! 

8 hours ago, Skazz said:

I don't like reggae.

I love it.

Yeah you do. 

On 9/12/2020 at 11:24 AM, StupidSeal said:

I will be upfront, I don't like Minsc. I find him loud, annoying, and very childish (not in a good way). I found a 10 second clip which sums up how annoying Minsc is. Screaming blue murder, acting like  a weirdo and talking about squirrels. This YouTube video showcases how annoying he is (in a lighthearted way). I'll talk more about him in depth below. 

Why I dislike Minsc: 
He's seen as the face of Baldur's Gate. I don't like the humor around him, ''haha hamster crazy XD'', he's a little simple and childish, I can't take him seriously, highly regarded as being the best NPC, when in fact Edwin is more accurate. I'm not a fan of the ranger class. It's a nerfed fighter in my viewpoint. 

Perhaps other than his personality what I don't like most about Minsc., is his berserking. Whenever he goes Bersek he will attack his own party and secondly, when characters like Aerie or Nalia are in the party Minsc will take them as his ''witch''. I find that cool. Here's the bad part. When either one is Minsc's witch, if they fall in battle in other words die Minsc will automatically berserk. A fight, let alone a boss fight is difficult enough without your own party members attacking you. 

Secondly because of this, it makes me not want to take either Aerie or Nalia who are two interesting NPCs in a party with Minsc as they can cause him to turn on the party and ruin a fight! In terms of stats, Minsc is great. Very strong. I just don't want to ever play with him. Or see him in Baldur's Gate three. 

I just don't like him. What are your thoughts? Am I just being a stupid seal? 

Minsc was always part of my BG2 journey, I liked him and Boo

I always decide what  members are part of any party  based RPG based on the criteria below and they rated from most important to least important 

1. I consider the intrinsic value that the character adds to combat and other tasks like healing and the vast range of pertinent thieving skills 
  2. I consider the actual RP aspect that the character adds and the things they say or represent , for example what is the persons history and what they stand for? Being a Romance option is definitely part of this so Isabella, Morrigan and Viconia were always part of character choice in games like DA and BG2 
  3. I consider there " sub-quests"  and what these quests mean to my overall RP objective

So in summary I made Minsc and Kagain  my tanks in BG2 and they never really disappointed me so Minsc is good in my books :thumbsup:8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

MInsc is only considered a good NPC in BG because first game was a parade of bad, useless and horrible NPC's. He had one thing going on for him, he had the highest strength. But with Dorn introduced in EE he even lost that. In BG2 was outshined by every other recruitable fighters. WHy he became the face of Baldurs Gate series is beyond comprehension. 

Edited by Skarpen

166215__front.jpg

For a more earnest defense of Minsc, I think he's a really well-executed comic relief myself. I think he's a great Quixotic inversion of the heroic fantasy adventurer, is filled with great lines and puns, and is superbly performed by Jim Cummings. He's not a character to be taken seriously, he's literally there to poke fun at the dogooders by offering a counterpoint that seems to exacerbate all of the boistering, righteousness and epic ambition to absurd and risible heights. If you don't vibe with his style of comedy, that's one thing, but I for one think there's plenty of wit at play with his lines and place in the games, and he fits that Homer Simpsonesque "smart dumb comedy" category rather well.

As a partymember on the purest technical/mechanical front, I can agree, he's not great. He's certainly viable, he's fine, but I don't even feel he was the stronger of the two ranger choices in Baldur's Gate 2 to begin with, if you even want to go with either. But then again, in a game like BG2, you don't need your companions to be min-maxed to hell to beat it even at the highest difficulty. And on top of this, I think that is beside what makes him or any character good. As a companion I value what he's able to add as a character, in terms of story, interactions, how he contributes to the overall experience, etc. In this sense I think he outdoes a lot of the brooding and poe-faced male fighters of Baldur's Gate 2, even without a quest of his own (ignoring the one he had in the first Baldur's Gate of course) - and as for Aeria and Nalia, I'd gladly ignore them in favour of Minsc if I found it necessary as well.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

3 minutes ago, algroth said:

But then again, in a game like BG2, you don't need your companions to be min-maxed to hell to beat it even at the highest difficulty

DpQ9YJl.png

If we're talking about the EEs, the Legacy of Bhaal setting buffs the **** out of enemies and without summoning or an assload of buff spells or being massively overleveled and equipped your front line will collapse. It's one of the worst implementations of a hard difficultly I've seen, but it is technically the hardest and Minsc is a drain on the party for that difficulty.

Personally, SCS and insane without HP bloat is my preference is where it's at and Minsc can work well enough there. Still prefer other npcs tho.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Didn't SCS fix Rage conferring immunity to things like Imprisonment? If it wasn't for that, he may get a pass... though I think he makes no sense as a ranger. I get that he's a rashemi somethingorother, but really, a crappy fighter is what he is. So make him an actual fighter and give him his own kit.

Sorry, he just wasn't very good. Not even Jim Cummings could save poor Minsc.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

2 hours ago, 213374U said:

Didn't SCS fix Rage conferring immunity to things like Imprisonment? If it wasn't for that, he may get a pass... though I think he makes no sense as a ranger. I get that he's a rashemi somethingorother, but really, a crappy fighter is what he is. So make him an actual fighter and give him his own kit.

Sorry, he just wasn't very good. Not even Jim Cummings could save poor Minsc.

Not to my knowledge, but it's been a while. @Bartimaeus Could probably tell us.

There was a mod that added special kits to NPCs, like Rasheman Ranger or Bloodrager, but I can't remember it and think it's old. You can always use the keeper to make Minsc a Berserker, if I ever play again that's probably what I'd end up doing.

I think SCS made it so enemies are *aware* rage makes one immune to imprisonment, but doesn't actually remove the feature entirely, IIRC.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Minsc was meh, but the NPC i really disliked, and I went to great lengths avoiding her at all cost in both BG1 and BG2, is *drumroll* Imoen. I didn't like the VO and I didn't like her plastic, clingy, but still "cool" persona they're trying to sell.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I liked Imoen in BG1, less in BG2, I really didn't liked Khalid and Jaheira. Those two were never in my party after I finished the game first time

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

2 hours ago, IndiraLightfoot said:

Minsc was meh, but the NPC i really disliked, and I went to great lengths avoiding her at all cost in both BG1 and BG2, is *drumroll* Imoen. I didn't like the VO and I didn't like her plastic, clingy, but still "cool" persona they're trying to sell.

Aaaah yes, the girl I go to "save" when there are no sidequests left anymore and who has to hike home through Underdark, because no way I'm dropping someone useful for her. 😼 This is my way to go since the very first playthrough, as if I knew about "Heya it's me, Imoen!!!1"x1000 even though I haven't played BG1 (which sucks) until much later.