Crafting recipes

I was thinking of talking about this in my previous post but I think it deserves its own post, there is something that bothers me and that is that many recipes, especially armor do not agree 100% with the materials that are required and those that are visible, or simply in number , this is just my opinion and may seem exaggerated by some let's get started

Aphid slippers:
here the problem is the quantity, 10 of mite fuzz seems exaggerated to fill a pair of shoes ...

Acorn armor:
In this case it is only the helmet / mask, which requires 1 Acorn Shell 5 Mite Fuzz 3 Woven Fiber however the fuzz mite is not visible anywhere ...

Ant armor:
In each piece of this armor it clearly has parts made with fiber or dry grass, but only the knee pads ask for dry grass, also the helmet asks for an ant's head but I do not see the eyes or the jaws, besides that all the pieces ask for mite fuzz which again is not seen anywhere ...

Grub armor:
the grub leggings again ask for mite fuzz but it is not visible anywhere ...

Spider armor:
The whole set asks for spider parts silk and berry leather, but the berry leather is not visible anywhere besides, the spider hood asks for two fangs which are not visible either ...

Ladybug armor:
The ladybug helmet asks for a ladybug head but personally I do not find the need because the appearance is of a part of ladybug ...

Web bounce:
It has the appearance of a cobweb but it does not contain any cobweb, it is actually an insect rubber that does not have anything from an insect either XD also the use of sap is clearly seen but it is not required

Insect Ax:
The ax calls for a ladybug head and on the ax it has 3 ladybug jaws when a head has only 2

Mint mallet:
Here the only thing that bothers me is that the piece of mint is the hardest material up to now, however the character manages to make a hole and thus tie it with silk, it would not be coherent to ask for 1 acid with which it would be done said hole?

Repair tool:
Maybe it's just me but it looks like it's made from an ant jaw, why not use ant parts / head instead of quartzite

Workbench:
With the naked eye we can see a vise made with an ant head but none is required to create it and if we go further it also has crude rope pebblets and 2 slime mold stalk

Sap catcher:
he asks for an acorn cap and a soldier ant jaw, but I don't see any ant part, just a sprig with fiber and a pebblet attached with a thistle needle to the acorn cap

Slime mold torch/scone:
Fiber and crude rope is required but none is visible

Plank/Stem pallet:
it should requiere more pebblets since are basicaly made of stones

Lean-to:
You can se some stones holding the leave but any pebblet is required

Dewer collector:
It requires 8 quartzite but look like the pebblets of the roasting spit

Storage chest:
If you look at the back side of the chest you can see 4 thistle needle nails attaching the clover to the acorn part

Storage basket:
requires 4 clover leaf but actually only one is seen for the lid

Stuffed mite:
requires 10 mite fuzz which is too much for such a small animal since the aphid requieres only2 and it has a similar size

Lure trap:
It shows 4 units of pollen but none is required

I repeat it is just my point of view, to some it may seem exaggerated but it seems to me that it should be as attached as possible

Edited by BlackCat7777777

5 hours ago, BlackCat7777777 said:

Aphid slippers:
Acorn armor:

Ant armor:

Grub armor:

mite fuzz is tiny,  it's the red hairs from the dead mite.  you shouldn't see them, they're just padding inside the armor.  I think it should cost more to use it as small as it is, but i get the need for balance.

Spider armor:
The whole set asks for spider parts silk and berry leather, but the berry leather is not visible anywhere besides, the spider hood asks for two fangs which are not visible either ...

you'd have to turn the spider armor shoulder and legs inside out to see the leather, the hood i think is all leather (there are no grey colored parts of a spider) with spider bits added to make the eyes.  I agree the fangs should be visible and hang down in front of your face.

Storage basket:
requires 4 clover leaf but actually only one is seen for the lid

You can't see inside the storage basket (or chest) to see the other leaves used as liners.

Stuffed mite:
requires 10 mite fuzz which is too much for such a small animal

like the armor above, mite fuzz is tiny,  it's from the mite's body you're stuffing, they're not covered in hair like fur, it's sparse.  It should cost more, but game balance again.

• Like 1

Xbox One X

I don't think that mite fuzz is that small, since a single mite is half covered with fuzz, unless you take just a handful and waste the rest, it doesnt make any sense. 

I know mite fuzz and berry leather are suposed to be inside the armor but yet, it should be visible at the edges, y mean look at the acorn mask, you can clearly see a bit of the inside part and theres no mite fuzz in it. 

And actually you can see trough the basket if you get too close, theres no clovers inside... 

But again its maybe its just me and im wrong, I really apretiate your time reading my post and to comment it. 

Edited by BlackCat7777777

2 hours ago, BlackCat7777777 said:

I don't think that mite fuzz is that small, since a single mite is half covered with fuzz, unless you take just a handful and waste the rest, it doesnt make any sense. 

they're not half covered in fuzz, assuming they're fashioned after real mites.  

organic-red-spider-mite-control-macro-2x.jpg.a5f408d3b16c38b21b7999cd82b69f74.jpg

2 hours ago, BlackCat7777777 said:

And actually you can see trough the basket if you get too close, theres no clovers inside... 

I just made a basket, in my game you can barely see inside it.  

basket.jpg.30a76d5294a21f4af4427ffb3d7c414c.jpg

I find it easy to see what was used for the basket. 1 leaf for the lid, trimmed to size, the others are cut and used to weave the basket.  the rope holds it all together in the bottom.  Just takes a little bit of imagination.  I get that people raised in the age of smart phones don't have that ability, but still it isn't much of a stretch.

Edited by McSquirl Nugget
  • Like 1

Xbox One X

And here I am, utterly impressed by the frequency with which the art depicts many of the elements that were used to craft most items.

I was very impressed when I noticed the sap lining the inner face of the bandage, and similarly impressed with most of the weapons and armour.

Are the crafting costs perfect? No.

Should gameplay and character progression be sacrificed at the altar of realism? I don't think so.

Grounded is already a little unrealistic from the the outset. Whilst I agree that some recipes could be improved, I really don't think it's an issue, and from what I have played, I trust Obsidian's judgement when it comes to the progression and pacing.

My only gripes so far is that I think Berry Leather should have to be dried on a Jerky Rack to be used, but that would slow the game down a lot, and so once more I defer to Obsidian for their experience in designing meaningful avenues for player progression.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

they're not half covered in fuzz, assuming they're fashioned after real mites.  

organic-red-spider-mite-control-macro-2x.jpg.a5f408d3b16c38b21b7999cd82b69f74.jpg

I just made a basket, in my game you can barely see inside it.  

basket.jpg.30a76d5294a21f4af4427ffb3d7c414c.jpg

I find it easy to see what was used for the basket. 1 leaf for the lid, trimmed to size, the others are cut and used to weave the basket.  the rope holds it all together in the bottom.  Just takes a little bit of imagination.  I get that people raised in the age of smart phones don't have that ability, but still it isn't much of a stretch.

The ones in the game are actually covered in some kind of velver, i havent seen an actual mite image trough my smartphone, im sorry. 
Also I found ridiculus the way you keep insiting theres 4 clovers in the basket, maybe its just balance of the game as you call it, I guess people before smartphones now are that old that think they know everything and think everyone else is dumb.

9 hours ago, ReteroX said:

And here I am, utterly impressed by the frequency with which the art depicts many of the elements that were used to craft most items.

I was very impressed when I noticed the sap lining the inner face of the bandage, and similarly impressed with most of the weapons and armour.

Are the crafting costs perfect? No.

Should gameplay and character progression be sacrificed at the altar of realism? I don't think so.

Grounded is already a little unrealistic from the the outset. Whilst I agree that some recipes could be improved, I really don't think it's an issue, and from what I have played, I trust Obsidian's judgement when it comes to the progression and pacing.

My only gripes so far is that I think Berry Leather should have to be dried on a Jerky Rack to be used, but that would slow the game down a lot, and so once more I defer to Obsidian for their experience in designing meaningful avenues for player progression.

I don't think that gameplay or player progress is sacrificed by putting a couple of mite fuzz on the armor or asking for a unit or two less in the recipe, nor do I ask that the game be extremely realistic, at least not more than what already is, if it is coherent and impressive enough to see sap on the inside of the bandages, shouldn't it be the same for everything else? I trust that Obsidian is mature enough to make these changes without altering the progress or pace of the gameplay, these are only suggestions to make the game more immersive and do not represent a problem, just a bit of inconsistency

On 9/12/2020 at 12:37 AM, BlackCat7777777 said:

I don't think that gameplay or player progress is sacrificed by putting a couple of mite fuzz on the armor or asking for a unit or two less in the recipe, nor do I ask that the game be extremely realistic, at least not more than what already is, if it is coherent and impressive enough to see sap on the inside of the bandages, shouldn't it be the same for everything else? I trust that Obsidian is mature enough to make these changes without altering the progress or pace of the gameplay, these are only suggestions to make the game more immersive and do not represent a problem, just a bit of inconsistency

suggestions are fine keep them coming.  I'm just disagreeing with you, it's part of having a discussion that these forums are here for.  If everyone just jumped in and agreed what's the point?

Xbox One X