Was KotOR too easy?

Was the combat and overall character growth too easy in KotOR?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Was the combat and overall character growth too easy in KotOR?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

For the progression of the great story and the unfolding of events - the difficulty of the game was just right. KOTOR's plot drew me in, and I would have been pissed if I couldn't continue due to being stuck on a particular quest!

Think first time playing an RPG, going lvl 8/12 scoundrel/consular, and pressing 'auto-level' all the time. I had to use mines to beat Malak just bearly, no force cure/heal, no master-flurry or master critical attack, and no 'throw lightsaber' or 'force lightning'.

It was hard.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Played it through two times...first time as a scout/sentinel ..and never dropped to 1 hp with my charecter..not even once in the entire game,second time though i did something fun...i made a scout/guardian using only blasters (no sabers in the entire game) set the difficulty to max and went solo all the time ..that was somewhat of a challenge

Ok, so kotor was to easy to most of you. But would you want obsidian to spend time making kotor 2 more challenging combat wise than Kotor 1? I always thought combat should be challenging for FPS not RPG. I always thought that RPG was something that the story and the interaction would be the intrest and not so much the combat.

PS: The Kotor AE team forums are up so join for more info on the project! Register at http://www.elementx.org/Forum

The combat is relatively easy, but that's how I like it.

As has been mentioned, what makes the game great (IMO) is the story. If the combat was too difficult, it becomes frustrating and you spend your time worrying about trying to power up and defeat some unbeatable foe instead of getting involved in the story as a whole.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

For the progression of the great story and the unfolding of events - the difficulty of the game was just right. KOTOR's plot drew me in, and I would have been pissed if I couldn't continue due to being stuck on a particular quest!

Exactly. Look, I don't mind if they make it more challenging, but it shouldn't be ridiculously challenging to the point it is nearly impossible to progress. I hate it when they overcompensate and make your opponents TOO tough. I've ran into that before in other games. Be challenging but not so challenging it borders on the stupid.

And, I, too, thought the difficulty was just right for this game. This was not Halo. You played this game for the story and the immersion in that story and the experience of playing it. If you're looking to be challenged combat-wise play something else.

For the progression of the great story and the unfolding of events - the difficulty of the game was just right.  KOTOR's plot drew me in, and I would have been pissed if I couldn't continue due to being stuck on a particular quest!

Exactly. Look, I don't mind if they make it more challenging, but it shouldn't be ridiculously challenging to the point it is nearly impossible to progress. I hate it when they overcompensate and make your opponents TOO tough. I've ran into that before in other games. Be challenging but not so challenging it borders on the stupid.

And, I, too, thought the difficulty was just right for this game. This was not Halo. You played this game for the story and the immersion in that story and the experience of playing it. If you're looking to be challenged combat-wise play something else.

You got a point there, imagine playing KotOR at 'Legendary'-difficulty would be frustrating even for the most hardcore RPG-players. Obsidian just need to find that balance between 'Easy', 'Normal' and 'Hard'.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The first one was way too easy even on difficult. My only real challenge was facing Brendak as a level 2 scout. I feel that the most difficult setting should have you reaching for the quickload button at least a couple of times.

Exactly. Look, I don't mind if they make it more challenging, but it shouldn't be ridiculously challenging to the point it is nearly impossible to progress. I hate it when they overcompensate and make your opponents TOO tough. I've ran into that before in other games. Be challenging but not so challenging it borders on the stupid

you never finished ninja gaiden did you ?

Exactly. Look, I don't mind if they make it more challenging, but it shouldn't be ridiculously challenging to the point it is nearly impossible to progress. I hate it when they overcompensate and make your opponents TOO tough. I've ran into that before in other games. Be challenging but not so challenging it borders on the stupid

Ninja Gaiden is tough. It is the thug in the alley that has a lead pipe and beats you about the head with it from the opening moment until you fall into a mass of quivering tears and then it proceeds to beat you some more. Then you finish the first boss.

I like challenging as much as anyone, but sometimes, I also like to have my turn with the lead pipe. Good games have peaks and valleys of difficulty, particularly RPGs. It's always fun to level your character and have that hour of power where your new skills are smiting enemies only to have them slowly get tougher again.

Its all about being knocked off the cliff by that cheesy eagle while jumping in Stage 5... And getting up to Jaquio while still being equipped with the Fire Wheel Art was pretty tough too...

:notices everyone looking at him:

What?

ninja gaiden on very hard is always hard, at lesat when you fight bosses that you cant always see. i dont mind a challenge, and that game certainly had it, but sometimes my biggest opponent was the camera.

anway, combat was too easy in KOTOR, and i only played the game (once) on the hardest setting. Still, like people say, as long as a more challenging game doesnt involve simply increasing enemy hit points, then thats the way to go. Unfortunately, with KOTOR's combat system it would be a pain to make the game hard without resorting to just buffing up the enemies.