Termite Tower Raid

I couldn't find it in search, but maybe I just suck at searching, so...

I would love to see a termite mound/tower (depends on the species unless you feel like bending the rules a touch) that is heavily defended and can be entered after scaling the exterior and clearing a guarded entrance at the top.

The idea would be to implement a dungeon that has multiple levels that have elements of randomisation in layout, resources available, and enemy spawns/types.

The dungeon could introduce a new enemy type: Termite, with various classes: Workers, Soldiers, Kings, and Queens. The different classes could be visually distinguishable, like the ants, and have different attacks and behaviours.

One of the key factors that would determine your success would be resource management. Players would have to take adequate weapons, armour, food, water, and crafting supplies in order to survive, as the levels might only contain scarce resources to ease the descent.

Enemy design could force players to use archetypes: there could be a class of termite that spits digestive fluid from high perches or tunnels that are initially inaccessible to players, and would require a dedicated archer to dispatch them.

Some termites might have a tougher exoskeleton, and be almost impervious to arrows; I'm sure there is a wellspring of potential here.

The ultimate goal, would be to rid the backyard of the Termite Queen, which could even have further reaching impact on the region around the dome/tower, resulting in a diminished number of hostile termites foraging the area.

You could even make termite raids, that target player buildings for the materials, which slowly increase in frequency unless the monarch is destroyed.

Termites could be a tougher, perpetually hostile tougher to ants; combined with the decision to exclude creating a "Termi-nator" perk for increased damage against termiees, Obsidian could keep Termites as a real threat, even as the player progresses.

New Burg-L quests could also revolve around clearing small termite fortifications that pop up around the main nest and threaten to spill out into the surrounding regions.

Even after clearing the tower, a new brrod might take hold a week later, and so the struggle might start anew. I love end-game content in games, and the potential of an encroaching enemy could reintroduce the danger that well-equipped players will inevitably forget as they progress.

I have been pondering this for a while, and it's likely not am original thought, but I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions on it.

Update 1: Killing the Termite Queen might award the players with a large number of Termite Digestive Fluid which can be used to build a new type of reinforced mud structures that are costly, but very durable. Killing regular termites might occasionally reward players with a small amount of the resource.

Edited by ReteroX
Spelling.
  • Like 1

that's a great idea.  However i don't see how this would fit in the back yard in our current setting in California (if that's where our current game really is).  

I think it would be cool, if we could get different yards in various locations, then have a unique feature like this in each one, an end game type area.

• Like 1

Xbox One X

38 minutes ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

that's a great idea.  However i don't see how this would fit in the back yard in our current setting in California (if that's where our current game really is).  

I think it would be cool, if we could get different yards in various locations, then have a unique feature like this in each one, an end game type area.

That's really close to my Ultimate Wish for Grounded .... 

Multiple Completely different settings.... 
maybe Backyards from Ominent Researchers around the world. (with hopefully different regional architecture in building)
and maybe a few extra totally remote locations away from any city ... 

but with each having it's own unique feel and challenges

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

I would love to see new locations, but I don't know if that falls within the scope of the core game. If anything, I expect would be an expansion, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Out of curiosity, what makes termites a bad fit for Cali? Google is under the impression that termites are all over California, but of course, I'm relying on it here.

That actually brings up a good question; I wonder if Obsidian will ever tell us where the Grounded backyard is set; it would be cool to know.

3 hours ago, ReteroX said:

I would love to see new locations, but I don't know if that falls within the scope of the core game. If anything, I expect would be an expansion, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Out of curiosity, what makes termites a bad fit for Cali? Google is under the impression that termites are all over California, but of course, I'm relying on it here.

That actually brings up a good question; I wonder if Obsidian will ever tell us where the Grounded backyard is set; it would be cool to know.

Termites cover the world, but the termite mounds like what I pictured reading your OP don't exist in Cali.  The termites prevalent there, dampwood termites,  build their homes in existing stumps or whatever.  The mound building termites are found in Africa and Australia.

That said, after reading your post again,  you did say tower.  So that could mean a stump is their tower, and there is a tree stump in the yard yet to be included in the game....  :) 

• Like 2

Xbox One X

1 hour ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

Termites cover the world, but the termite mounds like what I pictured reading your OP don't exist in Cali.  The termites prevalent there, dampwood termites,  build their homes in existing stumps or whatever.  The mound building termites are found in Africa and Australia.

That said, after reading your post again,  you did say tower.  So that could mean a stump is their tower, and there is a tree stump in the yard yet to be included in the game....  :) 

There you go! I like reading about different insects, I suppose that's part of why I love this game so much.

A repurposed tree stump with a mound inside/atop it could work. I didn't even picture that initially, but that could look awesome.

Any other ideas for termites?