What Are You Playing Now: Gaming Lives

Amentep

12 minutes ago, Oner said:

Sorry, I confused Shadows with Coteries. šŸ˜› Thanks for the info.

Same thing really. Shadows apparently has two endings. Coteries has three characters who all do exactly the same thing with only a few flavour scenes different.

Heart of the Forest has, according to the devs, 3 playthroughs in it with quite different experiences. I have played Chapter 1, which has two separate branches that change what locations you see and who you meet. And the order you do locations can also change minor things it seems. And all that affects who you already know when you start Chapter 2 and what they think of you.

Ā 

Also your Rage and Willpower affect what choices you get, so if you spend your willpower early, you may snap in a discussion later on and yell at someone when you shouldn't have šŸ˜›

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

1 hour ago, Theonlygarby said:

It's weird that they chose to have DOS2 and Baldur's Gate 3 start basically the exact same.Ā  Start on a ship as a prisoner, ship goes down, wake up on a beach.

Doesn't just about every modern video RPG start out with the party as either a prisoner or an amnesia victim? Sometimes both. It's got to be the most overused trope.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

1 minute ago, rjshae said:

Doesn't just about every modern video RPG start out with the party as either a prisoner or an amnesia victim? Sometimes both. It's got to be the most overused trope.

That's true.Ā  Just that this game even has Ship, sinking/falling ship, beach all in the exact order DOS2 had is especially weird.Ā 

23 minutes ago, rjshae said:

We should make our own rpg and have the player start as an omniscient prison guard!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Hmmm 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

7 hours ago, melkathi said:

I haven't played Shadows, only Coteries.

So far non of the npcs are as outlandish.

The game actually has choices and you feel they matter.

Your character has no clue what is going on, so you have no clue what your character is. The game procedurally adapts that to your choices. Which is probably just a fancy way of talking about "if" clauses :p

Ā 

Ā 

Shadows games are well written, but they are hardly more interactive than a novella.

This seems better by far in that aspect.

I rushed to buy Coteries assuming it was like other Vampire RPG....I installed it and started playing only to realize its a narrative game.....not a RPG game like Bloodlines

I was really annoyed and felt mislead by false marketing......except for the fact Coteries never claimed to a RPG like Bloodlines, I just never read properly what the game was aboutĀ :biggrin:

• Haha 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his lossā€

John MiltonĀ 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.ā€ -Ā  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ā 

Ā 

51 minutes ago, melkathi said:

That looks like a severe case of buying without even looking at the store page :)

Yeah, I was indeed impulsive and made some egregious assumptionsĀ :-

• Haha 3

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his lossā€

John MiltonĀ 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.ā€ -Ā  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Ā 

Ā 

Heart of the Forest is well written. The Rage and Willpower resources work quite well and you do feel it when you lose control and you have to hang on and ride it out until you calm down.

11 hours ago, melkathi said:

We should make our own rpg and have the player start as an omniscient prison guard!

All the companions would be amnesiac prisoners who don't know you are actually their jailer, so the tutorial quest would be you tricking them to help you kill the rats, who know who you are and could, being rats, rat you out were they to live.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sounds like we need to make Majesty the RPG, where you just sit down and let NPCs do things.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

6 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Sounds like we need to make Majesty the RPG, where you just sit down and let NPCs do things.

Geez can you think of anything more boringĀ Ā :aiee:

John MiltonĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

15 hours ago, melkathi said:

But even though theĀ  whole " starting off as a prisoner " has become arguably hackneyed and banal it does provideĀ Ā a good way to start off an RPG journey with no items and you need to fight right from the beginning...but you often denied certain items so you need to be cautious so its adds to the excitement IMOĀ 

Which is why I am still fine with it in most cases ( and I do agree its common....oblivion, witcher 2 , and BG2 spring to mind immediately )

John MiltonĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

"The town's blacksmith wants 5 iron ore from the cave over yonder so he can make me some fancy new armor. I really need it, help me out guys. "
...*silence*....

"I'll pay $75 for each piece of iron."

Companion 1:Ā  "I'm busy meditating in the garden."
Companion 2: "It costs more than that just to polish my sword and shield. Triple it and I'll think about it. Maybe."
Companion 3: "What a delicious sounding reward!"

...I'm down for it.Ā  :sorcerer:

• Like 1
ā€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.ā€ ā€“ Alan Watts

I've played a bunch of Grim Dawn, and find it kinda ok. I would prefer playing either Diablo 3 (if it had any new content), or Path of Exile (if it wasn't such a huge timesink).

Lots of small gripes with it, rather than any huge ones.

I'm struggling with the final boss in La Mulana 2. I can consistently get to phase 4, but then I just seem to do no damage to him. He either has a ****ton of HP or I'm doing something wrong.

I also started playing Yakuza Kiwami in preparation of the western release of Yakuza: Like a Dragon. On a scale of stoicism from 1 to 10 Kiryu is a 97.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡øRFK Jr 2024šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

7 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I'm struggling with the final boss in La Mulana 2. I can consistently get to phase 4, but then I just seem to do no damage to him. He either has a ****ton of HP or I'm doing something wrong.

I also started playing Yakuza Kiwami in preparation of the western release of Yakuza: Like a Dragon. On a scale of stoicism from 1 to 10 Kiryu is a 97.

I see The Yakuza trilogy is on special on Steam and Im considering getting it because of the good priceĀ 

I have never played any JRPG, even Final Fantasy,Ā  before but I have always been interested. I loved Sleeping Dogs ( not sure that can be classified as a JRPG )Ā and I remember you did as well. I was reading up on Steam around peoples opinions around JRPG and normal RPG and I am not sure if its accurate what people were saying?

Basically people were saying games like Yakuza are not like GTA, Sleeping Dogs or RDR2Ā Ā where you haveĀ  an open world to explore but YakuzaĀ is limited to certain maps and also the combat in JRPG is more frenetic ?

But what I am trying to understand is a direct comparison between Sleeping Dogs and the Yakuza trilogy....would I enjoy Yakuza if I enjoyed games like Sleeping Dogs and Hitman ?

John MiltonĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

@BruceVCYakuza: Like a Dragon is a jRPG, the earlier Yakuza games aren't RPGs, they are open-ish world action/adventure games similar to GTA and Sleeping Dogs. They are fantastic, highly recommended. If you liked Sleeping Dogs you will very likely like Yakuza. Start with Zero.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡øRFK Jr 2024šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I've tried getting into Yakuza, and while the atmosphere is great, I find that since i've grown up a PC gamer who never really uses a gamepad.. It's fairly awkward and not so much a fun gaming experience.

My moments of OCD mean I cannot stop myself attempting all the mini-games, which are basically terrible to try with a keyboard and mouse. And if you don't have the memory twitch of how the buttons are laid out on the gamepad, you're constantly having to look down to double check that you're hitting the right one, which kills you on all the mini-games.

Ā 

Edit: To help clarify, I've been gaming with a mouse and keyboard for the last 30 years. Over that period of time, I think i've spent.. maaaybe 100 hours playing with a gamepad. Quite likely less.

Ā 

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

I've tried getting into Yakuza, and while the atmosphere is great, I find that since i've grown up a PC gamer who never really uses a gamepad.. It's fairly awkward and not so much a fun gaming experience.

My moments of OCD mean I cannot stop myself attempting all the mini-games, which are basically terrible to try with a keyboard and mouse. And if you don't have the memory twitch of how the buttons are laid out on the gamepad, you're constantly having to look down to double check that you're hitting the right one, which kills you on all the mini-games.

Ā 

Edit: To help clarify, I've been gaming with a mouse and keyboard for the last 30 years. Over that period of time, I think i've spent.. maaaybe 100 hours playing with a gamepad. Quite likely less.

Ā 

I use to be the same, I could only game with M\KB until I wanted to play certain games that are recommended you use a controller for like Darksiders 1 and Sleeping Dogs

I learnt how to adapt to using a controller maybe 20 % of the time as I still prefer M\KB but as you mentioned some games are designed for a controller. I am now in the fortunate position where I can use both if required with no general problems, for example a couple of months ago I played Vampyr using my Microsoft Controller and its was fineĀ 

Edited by BruceVC

John MiltonĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

Just now, BruceVC said:

Ā 

Ā 

John MiltonĀ 

Ā 

Ā