What Are You Playing Now: Gaming Lives

Amentep

I haven't played Conan Exiles in a long time, so it's entirely possible things have changed, but I used to play it in my truck in places I could barely make phone calls, much less get an internet connection.

Edit: Now that I think about it, there was an update at some point that broke offline mode and I used a simple mod that fixed it. I had no compatibility issues with the DLC I installed, but, again, this was a long time ago, so things may be different now.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

8 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I haven't played Conan Exiles in a long time, so it's entirely possible things have changed, but I used to play it in my truck in places I could barely make phone calls, much less get an internet connection.

Edit: Now that I think about it, there was an update at some point that broke offline mode and I used a simple mod that fixed it. I had no compatibility issues with the DLC I installed, but, again, this was a long time ago, so things may be different now.

Game now always connects to "Funcom Live Services", not sure if it'll launch when that check fails but given the negative reviews resulting from it I'm going to assume not.

No idea why they decided to do that, they already had their (optional) anti-cheat stuff so that can't be the excuse. It really is just user-hostile without any benefit to them that I can think of.

• Gasp! 1

There goes any and all motivation I had for going back to CE. I guess I should thank Funcom for saving me whatever the price of Isle of Siptah is.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm currently playing - some music, because I fired up Death Stranding and realized the last patch (supposed to add "Ultra DLSS" for 8k) made the DLSS option completely disappear from my menu.  It's simply gone, no DLSS for me apparently.  Not vital, it runs fine without DLSS, but my annoyance at forced (I don't need "Ultra DLSS") and glitchy patches made me turn it off and I went for tunes instead.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Slowly getting through my backlog, marathon sessions completely Dishonored, Dishonored 2, and Black Mesa.

The Dishonored games are some of the best games I've played, in terms of gameplay and story, both have strengths and weaknesses, I actually went through 2 twice, it's a short game but has lots of replayability.

I waited for patches to Black Mesa because I didn't trust it to not be a mess, it's surprisingly solid now, although 3 areas tank my fps for no reason. It's a better experience than the original game while being very familiar, it's surprising how a game from 1998 just works in terms of gameplay, concepts, puzzles, and story. I thought Xen looked awesome, it was a little long and repeating, the bosses were a little modern, too much scripted set piece which is not what HL games are about. Better than most of the original Xen though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Brno on a hot streak, I really hate it when I change tactics and then some player bitches because he's not playing enough. Hard to imagine I have divas in a piss poor team like mine. 

Pushing on in Majesty, the Expert levels are pretty challenging, spent one level with dragons messing up my town regularly, need to find a better solution - apparently turtling with ballista towers is the way there.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

32 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Pushing on in Majesty, the Expert levels are pretty challenging, spent one level with dragons messing up my town regularly, need to find a better solution - apparently turtling with ballista towers is the way there.

The neat trick to keep dragons at bay is to use Krypta/Animate Bones/spawned skeletons.

Skeletons have a ridiculously high Dodge score (something like 87? Iirc) which makes them great at defending against ranged attacks. Since a dragon's breath is counted by the game as a ranged attack, it means that a single disposable skeleton can tank a dragon for a good while, buying you time for kingdom building and whatnot.

EDIT: Oh, and also - both varieties of dragons are prime targets to get crippled by Krypta's Wither spell.

Edited by Skazz
  • Thanks 1

If it is the ancient dragon quest where you have Solarii, if you manage to babysit a Solarii until she gets high level, then the ladies can solo dragons. The thing is getting one to live that long.

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

53 minutes ago, Skazz said:

The neat trick to keep dragons at bay is to use Krypta/Animate Bones/spawned skeletons.

Skeletons have a ridiculously high Dodge score (something like 87? Iirc) which makes them great at defending against ranged attacks. Since a dragon's breath is counted by the game as a ranged attack, it means that a single disposable skeleton can tank a dragon for a good while, buying you time for kingdom building and whatnot.

EDIT: Oh, and also - both varieties of dragons are prime targets to get crippled by Krypta's Wither spell.

Ah ok, I had thought it was magic. I didn notice the skeletons weren't getting nuked as easily.  Wizards work well against them too, but, yeah I'm failing trying to keep those fools alive 😛  Wither did work well, I guess I need to fiddle with the coverage.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I decided to pick up Mount and Blade II since it is on sale. I went with GOG for two reasons. Number one is that my kid has sort of taken over my Steam account. There is a family mode and I could make it so one of us is playing games in offline mode, but it is a hassle sharing gaming time. I could kick him off too, but it isn't always worth it. The other reason is the GOG edition came with the original M&B. I'm not going to play it, most likely, but it is nice to have a copy of it, I suppose.

I've said it before, but lvl 7 Monks all the way.  I seem to recall somehow making tons of gold with marketplaces,so I rarely had that issue (Monks do need babysitting) like I had figured out a gameplay pattern I did constantly but I can't recall. But I did like Wizards a lot too.

All I remember is at some mid point during the Northern Expansion campaign, I mumbled "well this is going to be a challenge" then never got around to finishing.

"What a delicious looking reward."  - a Rogue just before dying.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

36 minutes ago, majestic said:

Majesty sure sounds like a great game.

Indeed, you should buy it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

All I remember is at some mid point during the Northern Expansion campaign, I mumbled "well this is going to be a challenge" then never got around to finishing.

I can see why. The entire Northern Expansion campaign seems to have been specifically tailored to 1) crank up the difficulty 2) shut down many of the the usual strategies. It's the point where they started to experiment with the formula, too. I mean, the Spires of Death scenario in NE almost gave me an aneurysm - it's one of the few that I never, ever, want to replay, and I still have no idea how to reliably approach it without cheats (melkathi probably does, though, since he's a bear wizard and all).

Then again, it's also the expansion that made an already overpowered Temple (Krolm/Barbarians) even stronger, so...

12 hours ago, Malcador said:

Indeed, you should buy it.

Yes, this. I'm of the mind that everyone should own at least six copies of Majesty.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1

^ Yeah, the Northern Expansion was definitely a response to "lack of late challenge" from hardcore players.  When it came out you had the usual semi-backlash on the forum re: the increased difficulty and the "beware what you wish for" tropes.  :lol: 

That forum is also where I learned if there's a gameplay oversight you like about a game, don't mention it on official forums or it'll get removed (Monks picking up (multiple) artifacts from dead hero drops, I used to kill rogues for that for the lulz).  Hehee.

• Like 1

I finished Paradise Killer, great game. That was one of the best, quite possibly the best, detective games I've ever played. It's really refreshing to play a detective game where you legitimately have to do detective work. The trial at the end was such a terrific climax too. Watching people turn on each other once the jig was up was 

source.gif

magnifique!

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

I finished Paradise Killer, great game. That was one of the best, quite possibly the best, detective games I've ever played. It's really refreshing to play a detective game where you legitimately have to do detective work. The trial at the end was such a terrific climax too. Watching people turn on each other once the jig was up was 

source.gif

magnifique!

OK-hand-sign.jpg

you are showing your colors!!

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Oh, also. I forgot:

16 hours ago, Malcador said:

Wither did work well, I guess I need to fiddle with the coverage.

All Temple spells (Wither included) are global. Only Wizard Guild spells need towers to extend their range.

11 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

That forum is also where I learned if there's a gameplay oversight you like about a game, don't mention it on official forums or it'll get removed (Monks picking up (multiple) artifacts from dead hero drops, I used to kill rogues for that for the lulz).  Hehee.

I had no idea this had been a thing. I guess this explains why you're looking for the unpatched version of the game 😛

Edited by Skazz

Completed all but 5 of the journey steps in Conan Exiles now.

Kind of just started meandering around and building stuff just to see what I can come up with.  I saw someone do a speed build of Minas Tirith on youtube and tempted to try that out and see what ideas it might give me.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

22 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Giving Monster Hunter: World/Iceborn a whirl.

DO NOT BUY.  Game is not too bad at a good discount but it's very poorly optimized and it crashes frequently, even after trying everything suggested to fix it.

Friggin' Japs and their terrible Master Race ports (well ok, REngine is actually quite good so what's Capcom's excuse for this travesty, why didn't they use that??)

Edited by ComradeMaster

Tried some of the Majesty expansion missions, yeah... I think I need to L2P this game :lol:

17 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Tried some of the Majesty expansion missions, yeah... I think I need to L2P this game :lol:

The Siege is fun! It's like a multiplayer match, only on uneven terms and with annoying restrictions!

Edited by Skazz