Is this possible? (It should be) It would be nice if we could purify dirty water by boiling it. We have access to cooking, and it would not just make life easier but it's not like it's some far fetched fictional idea, it's absolutely some stuff we would all do in this scenario that hopefully is never real and that we are never really in XD

I'm not very far in the game so I might feel differently with your experiences because I don't even know what a dew collector is yet. I have every intention of continuing forward of course so maybe when I come across some of this stuff you guys are talking about it'll be one of those out of sight out of mind things that won't even really cross my mind 

17 hours ago, TheeHappyDalek said:

I'm not very far in the game so I might feel differently with your experiences because I don't even know what a dew collector is yet. I have every intention of continuing forward of course so maybe when I come across some of this stuff you guys are talking about it'll be one of those out of sight out of mind things that won't even really cross my mind 

you make a good point.  All of those posting here have been playing for a long time and seem to have forgotten food and water can be somewhat scarce when you start out.  I'd love to have a water filtration device,  one that could easily fit into the game as a beginning item could be a sand/charcoal filter.  charcoal from fire spit, but sand would have to added. 

Xbox One X

I don't agree McSquirl, food and water was a big issue for everyone that started noting there were some issues that a patch fixed.

Early in a survival game, basics should be the challenge. Foraging for water and food forces the player to explore. 

To me, it seems the "survival" element is just food and water. Everything else feels like an RPG. But it's early development and there could be many factors introduced into the game that change the whole balance. 

On 9/13/2020 at 3:49 PM, TheeHappyDalek said:

Anyone that is familiar with survival games will have everything they need in under 4 hours of gameplay. 

Pick up everything you can.  Make weapons, kill bugs, make canteen.  All of that is in the starting area.  Find a juice box and collect. Just before sunrise, much of the grass has dew drops of water.  You on the forum, may as well use Google.

Also, if you really having trouble, you can drink dirty water. It just makes you gain hunger.  Fill up on dirty water, wait till the immediate hunger loss over time stops then eat food. Voila, both bars full.  So technically you only need to carry/find food.

I keep Acorn bits because they stack, 4 fills you up and they never spoil.  Mushrooms are easy to find and also never spoil.

I built 3 dew collectors across the map and water storage.  Yet I don't need to use them.

Acorns are all you need.  Carry about 10-20 and you'll be great

16 hours ago, Rohan said:

food and water was a big issue for everyone that started noting there were some issues that a patch fixed.

Not following,  what issues a patch fixed?

16 hours ago, Rohan said:

Early in a survival game, basics should be the challenge. Foraging for water and food forces the player to explore. 

exactly, one of the opening tutorial missions is to find a water drop on a leaf to drink, or however that's actually worded.  when i first started I did that, but water drops were few and far between (maybe the patch fix you mentioned?) so in the beginning i drank from puddles until i found the first juice box by the machine you're led to.  

What i was thinking is, as @Truth said, being familiar with survival games, i knew i had to collect what i could easily find right out of the starting tunnel.  Then the game pops up the mission to go to the field station, and you analyze items there.  Why not have one of the starting blueprints as a water filter when you analyze the plant fiber?  they could add a bit of sand here and there in the game, one near the starting point, and allow you to collect charcoal from the fire spit, as that's the first food prep blueprint, and combine that with plant fiber for a water filter.

7 hours ago, Truth said:

You on the forum, may as well use Google.

I don't like to google games like this when i first start out.  i didn't even join the forums until i'd played for a few days real time and came here to find how to submit a bug report to Obsidian, since you can't send a report from Xbox.  The game is made to explore and learn, i hope I'm not alone where i do just that until I'm comfy with the game before looking online.

7 hours ago, Truth said:

Acorns are all you need.  Carry about 10-20 and you'll be great

starting out yes as you're directed to the Oak Tree where it can be found laying out.  but it takes up inventory space.  Jerky is stackable and the best option once you can make it later on in the game, and like a cooked meat, it fills up what 3/4 or so of your hunter meter?

Xbox One X

Hi guys,

Acknowledging all that's said. I think its going off point. 

I feel, a water filter early in game just removes the need of the survival mechanic for water. I think it should be the first struggle early game.

And McSquirl. Yeah I jumped in day one of access and there something a miss with finding fresh water and the juice box drops were very spare. Was drinking dirty water quite a bit early game. I'm sure devs fixed that in the first week or so 

15 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

starting out yes as you're directed to the Oak Tree where it can be found laying out.  but it takes up inventory space.  Jerky is stackable and the best option once you can make it later on in the game

I have jerky rack.  Never bothered to make any as 4 acorns keep hunger away for a day.  I'll have to try it.

As you mentioned,  jerky comes later in the game.  By that time players should have canteens, dew collectors and maybe water storage.  No need to purify water or drink dirty water then eat.

I'm just saying beginning players can eat food to offset the negative of drinking dirty water.  Dirty water can be found everywhere.  Acorn nuts can be found very early in game.  Using this system means no need to purify the water (unless it gave a buff or fully filled thirst in 1 slurp)

Truth is I still drink dirty water then eat even tho I have canteen+ made and filled.  It's just easier and less effort on survival.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 5:49 PM, TheeHappyDalek said:

I started playing a few weeks ago and my first few days were exactly as you describe. Water seemed WAY too difficult to find. But somewhere along the way it just no longer was an issue. My guess is if you put maybe 10 more hours into the game, you won't be having as many water issues. But otherwise I think some kind of water purification for new players is a good idea!

• 4 weeks later...