Customised difficulty

Had a quick look for this, but couldn't find anything (drop me a link if there is already a thread about this)

I'd love to be able to tailor the difficulty, like I really enjoy having to manage thirst/hunger/durability, but not so good with tough enemies and I imagine there are people who love harder enemies but cba with all that eating and drinking malarky.

From what I see there are at least 3 difficulty parameters, durabilty, thirst/hunger and mob toughness with potentially at least 2 more in resource yield/respawn rates and length of night.

If they do add weather then maybe severity/length/danger of weather effects as well.

I'd love to see these on sliders, want super hard enemies and constant night time with resources hard to get go for it.

Want no night, wimpy enemies but be super hungry and thirsty, sure!

Want to crank everything to hardest with eternal night because you're some kind of masochist, hell yeah!

• Like 1

This is a cool idea. More options are never a bad thing, but on the other hand, a hand-crafted experience is often intended to create a consistent world and atmosphere.

Some of Grounded's charm comes from the inherent danger of the world, that is of course excluding creative, which I would argue is not really the full game because it only uses a few of it's systems.

I guess it all really comes down to what Obsidian want people to experience. More control over the user experience is often well received, but there are arguments to be made for the importance of the purposely designed "barriers" that help keep the tiers of weapons and armour relevant in the context of the sandbox.

• Like 1

Absolutely agree with that, it's possible to implement something like this and still retain the challenge/barriers though.

You could still keep mild as the easiest difficulty such that even if you were to have all these options and you set them all to minimum you'd basically be playing on mild as it currently is.

It's more, from my perspective at least about giving more flexibility between mild and woah.

Currently there are 3 things mentioned in the blurb for each difficulty so I'm gonna assume those are the only 3 things affected. So currently we have

hunger/thirst   durability   mob toughness
mild                  mild            mild

average           average      average

woah                woah          woah

Even if nothing else is possible it'd still be real nice to be able to have

woah                woah            mild

or

mild                  mild            woah

or

woah                  average           woah

Etc

So essentially creating a bunch of different difficulties between mild and woah

i'd like to see the option to customize the difficulty, somewhat like @nekogod posted.

I don't think we should be allowed to adjust the spawns of bugs though.  we don't need to be able to modify the whole game.  i would like to see a reset option for when the bugs are bugged though, like you get the 100 ants in the anthill,  reset them so they wander the yard again, or the 20 gnats around the yard light in the day time.  Night time sure, they're drawn to light, but they should disperse and go back to roaming in the day.

Xbox One X