A hugely annoying new bug -- anyone else seen this?

To my surprise (and with corona and all), I started replaying the game, and I stumbled on a new and hugely annoying bug. Every once in a while, for reasons I really am not sure about, enemies turn invisible. The only way they become visible again is when they hit you. This is very, very strange.

I have now had this bug about five times in my game, and I just entered Hasongo and did some battle on the battlements (d'oh). Either Serafen's cipher skills or Aloth's spells may be the main trigger for this sudden turning invisible, but I'm not sure. It could be anything. Heck, just now I entered a battle, gave my first commands (melee, paralysis from Serafen and a spell from Aloth), and once something hit those naga, they all just turned invisible. It doesn't matter who the enemies are, I think I've even seen it with xaurips.

Knock on wood, though: I haven't seen the endless combat loop bug once in this particular start of a playthrough.

But anyone else seen, or rather not seen, these invisible enemies?

Edited by xzar_monty
there was a typo in the subject line

Wow! So it could be that, and not a bug. Thank you.

Here's something really interesting: I had Serafen with me nearly all the time in my first playthrough, and I don't think this ever happened once. This time, it's already happened four or five times. A strange thing, chance.

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

Wow! So it could be that, and not a bug. Thank you.

Here's something really interesting: I had Serafen with me nearly all the time in my first playthrough, and I don't think this ever happened once. This time, it's already happened four or five times. A strange thing, chance.

did you have him as a cipher in your first playthrough? did you change up any of hte abilities?

the wiki is a little deceptive, because unless they changed something in recent patches, the "positive" or "negative" effects aren't really that well-categorized, since they apply to whomever the wild-minded power is targeting, ally or enemy. so it's possible you might have turned your allies invisible and thought not much of it.

33 minutes ago, thelee said:

did you have him as a cipher in your first playthrough? did you change up any of hte abilities?

Oh yes, I did have him as a cipher. I don't understand the second question, though. I played him as a regular cipher -- and of course I did notice that every once in a while there was a random effect, but I don't think enemies ever turned invisible. The best random effect was when suddenly got an awful lot of focus, like, 100 points or more.

I mostly mean that if the first time you played a cipher you picked up party-boosting abilities and only very few enemy-affecting attacks, the "turns invisible" effect would not have been very noticeable, since you would have minimal exposure to it and would mostly be doing it on your party members (which is much less of a memorable outcome). Even if you pick up whispers or puppet master. If you pick up mind blades, however, you might have the entire enemy party being turned invisible, which is supremely annoying and much more memorable.

The effect very probably stems from mind blades, you are quite right. However, I did have and did use mind blades in my previous game as well, and I don't remember the invisibility effect. Strange. Either I have forgotten it or there has been something rather peculiar going to with probabilities (not impossible, of course, just peculiar).

Anyway, it's obvious now that the header of this thread is in error, for which I hold my hand up.