you have to kill ants to get the eggs.  they might be gathered around a piece of spoiled meat somewhere out in the yard if they're not in the ant hill.

Edited by McSquirl Nugget
spelling
  • Like 1

Xbox One X

I hated the analyzing eggs quest because I had the same issue. Someone said the solution is to kill any worker ant you see outside the ant hill. It seems like it's the worker ants that lay the eggs, but they can't lay eggs if they're not in their ant mound. Mine was filled with soldier ants. I tried to kill as many of those as I could but it was time-consuming and didn't seem to do anything to get me eggs. Instead I took the advice and went out of my way to kill every worker ant not in the ant hill. When I came back to the hill later, the worker ants were back, coming and going. The rooms with the egg decor let you know where the eggs are going to be, and sure enough, there were loads of ant eggs.

I'm not sure if the eggs can directly hatch into ants, but for the next few days, there were ants everywhere in the game, in massive amounts, until finally there were only soldier ants and no eggs in the ant hill. I'm back to killing the ones I find in the wild.

Edited by PrismDragonfly

17 hours ago, Ksandra McKay said:

I gave up and just reject the quest when it comes up. I have started 4 games since the last patch to try to get even one egg. I give up.

have to kill the ants to get the eggs.  if you have no mass amounts of ants stuck in the ant hill then go look for them gathering around spoiled meat in the yard.  kill them, sleep then go collect the eggs.  

Xbox One X

18 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

have to kill the ants to get the eggs.  if you have no mass amounts of ants stuck in the ant hill then go look for them gathering around spoiled meat in the yard.  kill them, sleep then go collect the eggs.  

I already have a full time job not going to waste a couple of hours which is ALL of the game time I have in a day trying to find every last worker ant in the game to kill just to have no eggs when I log back in the next day. I will get eggs when they fix it.

3 hours ago, Ksandra McKay said:

I already have a full time job not going to waste a couple of hours which is ALL of the game time I have in a day trying to find every last worker ant in the game to kill just to have no eggs when I log back in the next day. I will get eggs when they fix it.

no need to get so defensive, just trying to help. 

Never said kill all the ants.  You want eggs, you have to kill ants to get them to spawn.  You want ants to kill, if they're not in the ant hill they're most likely out in the yard somewhere huddled around spoiled meat.

Xbox One X

5 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

no need to get so defensive, just trying to help. 

Never said kill all the ants.  You want eggs, you have to kill ants to get them to spawn.  You want ants to kill, if they're not in the ant hill they're most likely out in the yard somewhere huddled around spoiled meat.

Sorry I've tried and even killed every worker ant I could find and still no eggs so I just gave up. I obviously missed one somewhere and I don't even think I can get through the entire map in one in game day to find the stuck ones. Just very very frustrated with this one part of the game. Other than this issue I love the game enough to buy it off of steam even though I have game pass but my vid card is one of the ones with the issue where you have to force the game to run in dx11 to stop it from crashing every 5 minutes.

• Thanks 1

Why is noone listening to the advice of McSquirl. He called it exactly right. Kill enough worker ants and the eggs will appear. I've even witnessed the workers bringing in the eggs . Personally I found that if I fired about 10 gas arrows into the main ant chamber, this should trigger the egg process. 

We are listening, it just hasn't really worked for me or for some others, the countless times I've tried....I kill the Soldiers, I kill field Workers, I've filled food chamber, I've waited-nonsleeping[very few Soldiers respawn], I've slept[few more Soldiers in hill]--never eggs.

Then you have the folks with endlessly spawning Soldiers...now.  That kind of lag makes it nearly impossible to 'clear' the Hill....

It would seem, the Ant Life Cycle across platforms and Saves, is not consistent...

• Thanks 1

On 9/19/2020 at 9:25 AM, Rex P. said:

It would seem, the Ant Life Cycle across platforms and Saves, is not consistent...

i think that's the issue also.  hopefully Obsidian can fix it so the saves previous to each update don't bring in new bugs like this.

Have you tried the lure trap at the entrance to the ant hill like other's have suggested?  using that along with gas arrows seems to be the most effective method to get rid of the ants, eliminate the lag they cause and get eggs to spawn.

Xbox One X

I have tried everything, ONCE--TWICE---THRICE....nothing brings spawning eggs.  I believe that I kill enough 'wandering ants' to cause a respawn every single day, I see and meet them out there and I kill them, away from the Hill.  The Hill never spawns new Workers who spawn eggs.  I get the 1-3 that stand guard out front, seems they should be Soldiers?!?

Let's just face it: Ants are not working...for everyone.

And, what's up with folks who have 10,000 Soldiers in the Hill, on an EverSpawn project??  Ants are just broken at this time...Trello, 'sez' that an ant issue is fixed in a later build, assuming it would be the next build...?!?  There just seems to be some of us that do not get the 'spawn event'...I even tried a new game, same thing, ants disappeared in the Hill, except for Soldiers and I never saw another egg beyond, again, the SINGLE egg I find when I loot the HIll...lol.

The real 'kick' is the fact that there has been no 'official' video or such that explains, exactly HOW this awesome life cycle of the Workers-Soldiers-Eggs is to actually work....so, all these anecdotal protocols are just that...this worked for me, might not work for you...

My real belief is that within the Quests BURG.L gives for Kill Workers/Killing Soldiers, that is where they are mixed up.  Any killing of any Ant counted for either Soldier or Worker when I get both or even one of the two 'Ant Killing'/Hunter quests in my Steam PC Windows7 system using an Xbox 360 clone controller...

Edited by Rex P.

13 hours ago, Rex P. said:

Let's just face it: Ants are not working...for everyone.

they're not broken for everyone.  seems just people that have longer/older game files.

13 hours ago, Rex P. said:

My real belief is that within the Quests BURG.L gives for Kill Workers/Killing Soldiers, that is where they are mixed up.  Any killing of any Ant counted for either Soldier or Worker when I get both or even one of the two 'Ant Killing'/Hunter quests in my Steam PC Windows7 system using an Xbox 360 clone controller...

you might be right.  I haven't gotten the kill ants mission in a long time, could be why ants in my game are behaving normally.

Xbox One X

So I'm reading along this thread and I see that everyone is experiencing the same ANT ISSUES. I used gas arrows and bombs in the anthill to kill off ants and respawn eggs NOPE, I've put lure traps in front the entrance and kill them as they come out NOPE, I've killed bunches of ants while running around the backyard but still ZILCH... NO WORKER ANTS OR EGGS ARE SPAWNING. Now my anthill only has soldier ants (brightside, the lag has cut down quite a bit).

23 minutes ago, jenel l bennett said:

So I'm reading along this thread and I see that everyone is experiencing the same ANT ISSUES. I used gas arrows and bombs in the anthill to kill off ants and respawn eggs NOPE, I've put lure traps in front the entrance and kill them as they come out NOPE, I've killed bunches of ants while running around the backyard but still ZILCH... NO WORKER ANTS OR EGGS ARE SPAWNING. Now my anthill only has soldier ants (brightside, the lag has cut down quite a bit).

have you looked around the yard to see if they're all in a group fighting over a piece of spoiled meat?  i've seen groups of 20+ doing that,  i shoot a gas arrow at the meat and follow it with a few egg bombs for fun :)

18 minutes ago, jenel l bennett said:

Besides the on going ant issue... has anyone also noticed a lag in the flowerbed area and the ridiculous amount of gnats that are spawning?

I've only seen the Gnats gather around the yard light just south of the oak tree and to the east of the oak tree.  after killing all those in my game i only have a handful or so around the east yard light now.

Edited by McSquirl Nugget
spelling

Xbox One X

To answer both your comments  McSquirl Nugget, yes and yes. I kill all the ants I see on site (one of my fav guilty pleasures of the backyard) and thats alot of gnats to kill... they are so friggin annoying. I get frustrated cuz they just keep coming, I walk away after 10/15 of them.

2 hours ago, jenel l bennett said:

To answer both your comments  McSquirl Nugget, yes and yes. I kill all the ants I see on site (one of my fav guilty pleasures of the backyard) and thats alot of gnats to kill... they are so friggin annoying. I get frustrated cuz they just keep coming, I walk away after 10/15 of them.

you didn't post that so i asked,  no need to get upset and yell.  All any of us can do, since we're not dev's nor have insight into the game functions, is post what works for us in hope it helps others.

Xbox One X

Ant Eggs seem to be the hot topic.
I have never been able to pick up the single egg that is found in the ant hill.
I have killed so many Ants and Solider Ants that I have 6 chests full of parts - never got an egg.
I have no issue with lag or endless spawning Ants (Or Gnats for that matter, hell I needed to Kill Gnats for Burgl and couldn't find any).
I did however log into the Public Test version that was opened the other day and load one of my longest existing games....  and was able to pick up and analyze the egg in the Ant Hill so can only assume that the issue is going to get fixed.

• Like 1