It might be helpful to have the crafting system attempt to predict what you will want to craft, depending on the current circumstances. To be clear, I'm not saying that the system automatically crafts the item, but rather when you open the menu it automatically has the item selected

• Did your axe just break? Opening the crafting menu automatically defaults to crafting an axe
  • Missing Woven Fiber to craft something? Open the menu, you're on Woven Fiber
  • Low on health? Opening crafting automatically goes to health recovery tab. 

I imagine it would take a lot of fine tuning, and an option to turn off, but I think this system could potentially remove a lot of the "subconscious" frustration of having to frequently search through menus. 

For woven fiber you can just click in the needed resources to quick craft them without changing the blueprint to woven fiber.

If you need to search through the menus, an actual search field will be way better. But it shouldn't just work on craft recipe names but also with tags like "health" for example to filter relevant items.

Edited by shakee

17 hours ago, daniel.robert.campbell said:

And for folks playing with a controller? 

Ah, my bad, I did not consider that. 

A search field with pre-issued tags which sorts them to the most used one might help even with controller if they can easily switch the tag to another one. But I guess, the crafting menu needs a bigger revamp for this to work better with controllers. This may even help with the idea you want if the items are just sorted by tags. 

Or they allow quick crafting from the blueprint in the world if you miss the crafted items but you have the pre-resources for it to craft.

On 9/1/2020 at 4:15 PM, daniel.robert.campbell said:

It might be helpful to have the crafting system attempt to predict what you will want to craft, depending on the current circumstances. To be clear, I'm not saying that the system automatically crafts the item, but rather when you open the menu it automatically has the item selected

• Did your axe just break? Opening the crafting menu automatically defaults to crafting an axe
  • Missing Woven Fiber to craft something? Open the menu, you're on Woven Fiber
  • Low on health? Opening crafting automatically goes to health recovery tab. 

I imagine it would take a lot of fine tuning, and an option to turn off, but I think this system could potentially remove a lot of the "subconscious" frustration of having to frequently search through menus. 

few thoughts on this. 

If my pebblet axe breaks, i most likely have a 2nd axe or higher tier axe waiting to use.  i'd not like the crafting menu to open to the pebblet axe. I'd rather have the option to hit the mapped button for that item and get the prompt, it's broken - repair? if you say yes it repairs it, if you have the items in inventory.  if you say no it does like now and sheaths it so your hands are empty.

I like the 2nd point, but rather than it opening the crafting menu to that item, i'd like to see the option to make the missing woven fibers or whatever craftable item you're missing for that blueprint.

I've always disliked programs trying to predict what you want.

Xbox One X