Music cut by mouse hovering on interface buttons

Redglyph

Question

Hello,

I'm using version 5.0.0.0040 (according to GOG) on Windows 7 x64 pro. This is a fresh install, it hadn't been installed before.

The problem is the following: when the mouse goes over the menu buttons or any interactive part of the interface, it makes a soft "click", which cuts the background music for a moment. The effect is really annoying and during all the configuration and character setup, the music is on/off/on repeatedly because of this problem.

Is it a known problem, and if so, is there another work-around than muting the music entirely (which would be a shame)?

Is there a patch on the way to solve it?

The sound card is a Sound Blaster Z, that's not the type of problem I ever had with other games.

Let me know if you need further information.

Thanks

Edited by Redglyph

7 answers to this question

12 hours ago, Gorgon said:

mmm i don't know anything, but windows 7 isn't supported anymore. Might be a problem. At some point drivers aren't going to cut it anymore. Just a question of luck, or the reverse. 

Hello,

Windows 7 is on the list of supported OSes, which is normal given this game has been released in 2018. The screenshot is taken from gog (), where it was bought a few days ago, but on Obsidian's website, the minimum requirement is Vista (https://eternity.obsidian.net/buy).

Since my post seemed to be held here (and I'm still seeing "Your content will need to be approved by a moderator" so I understand you're the only one seeing it?), I send a problem report to the support together with a dxdiag.txt file, but I haven't received any feedback. Is this game still supported? What's the recommended method to get help when the game shows such problems?

Thanks!

Clipboard01.jpg

Any news? Has the support team seen this?

What about this moderation message? "Your content will need to be approved by a moderator" --> does it mean this thread is not visible? I suppose that it's only invisible when there's a "Hidden" above the post.

Edited by Redglyph

11 hours ago, thelee said:

you get "your content will need to be approved" until you've made a few number of posts, and in practice your posts will still get through relativley quickly. it's mostly an anti-spam measure.

deadfire is at end of support cycle, so sending in in bug reports isn't going to go anywhere, unfortunately. i think the most is that the console port might be getting some patches and fixes, but hard to say.

as for your particular issue, it very much sounds unique. while minimum specs do list certain OSes and hardware as supported, in practice minimum specs don't guarantee a *good* experience, only a playable experience. I've never heard of anyone having this issue, and I can only suspect that either having Windows 7 or old hardware/old drivers is a major driver of the problem. (more to the point, microsoft doesn't support windows 7 anymore.)

Hello,

Thanks for the clarification on the forum.

Windows 7 has nothing to do with it, I don't know why everyone is hammering on that point, and I have already mentioned that right above. It's the OS the game was designed for in the first place (or even Vista), please stop using that as an explanation for every problem.

What date did you see for the driver? Because they aren't even 1-year old.

As for not supporting it, if Obsidian sells a product, they have to provide support. Are you certain of that fact? Actually, are you a member of the support?

Sorry but you're not helping.

9 hours ago, Redglyph said:

Hello,

Thanks for the clarification on the forum.

Windows 7 has nothing to do with it, I don't know why everyone is hammering on that point, and I have already mentioned that right above. It's the OS the game was designed for in the first place (or even Vista), please stop using that as an explanation for every problem.

What date did you see for the driver? Because they aren't even 1-year old.

As for not supporting it, if Obsidian sells a product, they have to provide support. Are you certain of that fact? Actually, are you a member of the support?

Sorry but you're not helping.

People aren't using windows 7 "as an explanation for every problem."

Obsidian did provide support, but it's end of life. They provided support for a little over a year, and then they were done. They have absolutely said as much. They are only coming back for extremely major game-breaking issues, but I think that was just a diplomatic way to say "sorry we're done," since Deadfire has some extreme struggles starting up on macOS catalina (a brand new OS) and they haven't provided much support on that issue. They are not here anymore. Much like how Windows 7 is also end of life (it was released in 2009; it's ancient). Microsoft sold it and distributed, but it's literally not supported anymore, not even for enterprise solutions iirc, which typically have extremely long support time horizons.

The age of the driver is irrelevant. I have used nvidia and amd gpus with way better coverage than a discrete sound card and have had issues with drivers that were days or weeks old. (GPUs are also much more complicated beasts, but that's a different issue). 

If Windows 7 has nothing to do with it, it's extremely easy to prove us wrong - install Windows 10 on your machine and verify that you still have the sound clicking issue.

And you're right, I'm not helping, because I don't think there's much we can do to help. You're using an old OS that was not significantly supported to begin with (e.g. I would bet you money that Deadfire was developed on Windows 10 machines), and you're talking about an issue that I don't think I've ever seen or heard of in the years I've been on this forum and reporting bugs myself. And I'm just someone who tries to help people who find themselves in this forum unknowingly talking into the void, even if it's just to tell them that their issue has no known fix and they need to find a workaround or live with it because of the lack of support; I don't have special access to the code or anything and your issue is definitely not something fixable with a mod.

You don't have to like my answers, but sorry, that's the reality.

edit - minimum/recommended specs are marketing fluff, always have been since the days where I was told I could play some cutting-edge 90s 3D game on a 486. All they pretty much guarantee is playability. That's it. Windows 7/Vista are both dead OSes despite what the minimum specs say and expectations should be appropriately matched. It is certainly possible that Windows 7 has nothing to do with this, but given how uncommon this issue is and the main distinguishing feature is that you are using Windows 7, that seems to be a driving factor. If you have a better theory, we're all ears. Like I said it could also be sound/driver issue, but that's much harder to verify/test, unless you have a way of doing sound without your discrete sound card.

Edited by thelee

On 9/9/2020 at 5:00 PM, thelee said:

People aren't using windows 7 "as an explanation for every problem."

Obsidian did provide support, but it's end of life. They provided support for a little over a year, and then they were done. They have absolutely said as much. They are only coming back for extremely major game-breaking issues, but I think that was just a diplomatic way to say "sorry we're done," since Deadfire has some extreme struggles starting up on macOS catalina (a brand new OS) and they haven't provided much support on that issue. They are not here anymore. Much like how Windows 7 is also end of life (it was released in 2009; it's ancient). Microsoft sold it and distributed, but it's literally not supported anymore, not even for enterprise solutions iirc, which typically have extremely long support time horizons.

The age of the driver is irrelevant. I have used nvidia and amd gpus with way better coverage than a discrete sound card and have had issues with drivers that were days or weeks old. (GPUs are also much more complicated beasts, but that's a different issue). 

If Windows 7 has nothing to do with it, it's extremely easy to prove us wrong - install Windows 10 on your machine and verify that you still have the sound clicking issue.

And you're right, I'm not helping, because I don't think there's much we can do to help. You're using an old OS that was not significantly supported to begin with (e.g. I would bet you money that Deadfire was developed on Windows 10 machines), and you're talking about an issue that I don't think I've ever seen or heard of in the years I've been on this forum and reporting bugs myself. And I'm just someone who tries to help people who find themselves in this forum unknowingly talking into the void, even if it's just to tell them that their issue has no known fix and they need to find a workaround or live with it because of the lack of support; I don't have special access to the code or anything and your issue is definitely not something fixable with a mod.

You don't have to like my answers, but sorry, that's the reality.

edit - minimum/recommended specs are marketing fluff, always have been since the days where I was told I could play some cutting-edge 90s 3D game on a 486. All they pretty much guarantee is playability. That's it. Windows 7/Vista are both dead OSes despite what the minimum specs say and expectations should be appropriately matched. It is certainly possible that Windows 7 has nothing to do with this, but given how uncommon this issue is and the main distinguishing feature is that you are using Windows 7, that seems to be a driving factor. If you have a better theory, we're all ears. Like I said it could also be sound/driver issue, but that's much harder to verify/test, unless you have a way of doing sound without your discrete sound card.

Installing Windows 10 is no easy task, it would also require to buy a licence.

When I say "not helping", it's because your claims are without foundation and actually mostly false:

• Deadfire support is not end of life, they have contacted me to solve the issue. Besides, those forums are still here, aren't they?
  • Windows 7 is not officially supported by Microsoft, except for a fee
  • the fact Windows 7 reached its end of support doesn't mean software running on it is not supported anymore
  • driver age is relevant, it's the first thing any support will ask you to update (and what has been asked in this case too). Why? Because new drivers either solve issues present in older ones, improve the features, or improve the compatibility with the recent OS updates. Keeping old versions is asking for trouble most of the time. You seem to contradict yourself on that topic, by the way.

So please just stop trying to help because you just achieve the opposite. Your intention may be good, but guessing and repeating hearsay is usually the worst idea when trying to solve a technical issue.

you get "your content will need to be approved" until you've made a few number of posts, and in practice your posts will still get through relativley quickly. it's mostly an anti-spam measure.

deadfire is at end of support cycle, so sending in in bug reports isn't going to go anywhere, unfortunately. i think the most is that the console port might be getting some patches and fixes, but hard to say.

as for your particular issue, it very much sounds unique. while minimum specs do list certain OSes and hardware as supported, in practice minimum specs don't guarantee a *good* experience, only a playable experience. I've never heard of anyone having this issue, and I can only suspect that either having Windows 7 or old hardware/old drivers is a major driver of the problem. (more to the point, microsoft doesn't support windows 7 anymore.)