Politics 2020 - the gift that keeps giving

Amentep

3 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

I've always been of the opinion that we should form a "United States of Scandinavia". With somewhere in Norway as the capitol of course.

I think Copenhagen would be a more suitable capital. 

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Scania is the part of Denmark that is currently occupied by Swedish troops...

Gorthfuscious aren't  you Danish and do you still speak Danish because you have lived throughout the world  and not necessarily where there are many Danish speaking people ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

23 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

Some could argue, that Ukraine as a soviet republic wa given Crimea during deep soviet era. Majority of demographics there was and is Russian, like it or not. There was also a large support for Russians there. 

It was also dumb to think, that Russians would just abandon their black sea naval base, which is a vital strategic point. 

Imagine, Hawaii would decide to leave US and US was told to get lost and abandon bases there. 

I'm sure it would go well... 

Eastern Ukraine and incursions there, that's a different story, but lst i checked it's still Ukraine's territory

Lets not forget that Crimea was annexed by democratic referendum 😜

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

166215__front.jpg

Donald Trump has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. 

LOL no seriously. 

Sure why not. More than a few genuine idiots, dolts, villains, and ne’er do wells have taken that dubious “honor” home.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

38 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

Democratic, hah 😅

It does not change the underlying though, that most of the populace there is Russian, and that they were living and prospering mostly on Russia related business. 

I'm displeased though, how the Crimean Tatars were treated there, during and after the take over. That's a legitimate concern, same like the case of eastern Ukraine and its integrity

Edited by Darkpriest

37 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Donald Trump has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. 

LOL no seriously. 

Sure why not. More than a few genuine idiots, dolts, villains, and ne’er do wells have taken that dubious “honor” home.

Well.... He did not start any war or major troop deployments? That's some achievement given US presidents 😉

He did have some agreement with North Korea, stopped hawks and WH from going all ballistic on Iran after rocket attack at US base, and was helping to build agreement between Isreal and UAE? 

On paper, it does not look so bad, right? 😉

Probably more fistfights in the future. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

17 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

Well.... He did not start any war or major troop deployments? That's some achievement given US presidents 😉

He did have some agreement with North Korea, stopped hawks and WH from going all ballistic on Iran after rocket attack at US base, and was helping to build agreement between Isreal and UAE? 

On paper, it does not look so bad, right? 😉

All of that is true. Although the North Korea thing went nowhere. But from what I understood they were all set for cruise missiles into Iran as a reprisal for shooting the drone down and the president declined to do it. It’s also arguable that he has not gotten us any new entanglements. Which is certainly an improvement over the last four presidents. Obama got one for doing far less. He then proceeded to intervene in Syria, North and West Africa, drone strikes in Yemen and dozens of other places. You are right, not the worst nominee ever. I mean Hitler was nominated for one. Arafat actually won which was a joke.

• Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

21 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

All of that is true. Although the North Korea thing went nowhere. But from what I understood they were all set for cruise missiles into Iran as a reprisal for shooting the drone down and the president declined to do it. It’s also arguable that he has not gotten us any new entanglements. Which is certainly an improvement over the last four presidents. Obama got one for doing far less. He then proceeded to intervene in Syria, North and West Africa, drone strikes in Yemen and dozens of other places. You are right, not the worst nominee ever. I mean Hitler was nominated for one. Arafat actually won which was a joke.

Arafat won his as a prize for the Oslo Accords, though, so not that much of a joke as that was a big deal at the time. Huh, Clinton's administration was involved in a lot peace deals - Israel-Jordan, Oslo, Good Friday.  

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

FYI, Rittenhouse is another case where a latino/Hispanic who does something 'bad' is labeled white with nary a mention of his latino/Hispanic heritage. LMAO

So this racist anti black latino shot and killed 2 and injured 1 white trash - 2 of which are, you guessed it,  sexual 'deviants' to put it mildly - while ignoring a black man nearby is somehow a KK racist. L0LZ

• Haha 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

15 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Arafat won his as a prize for the Oslo Accords, though, so not that much of a joke as that was a big deal at the time. Huh, Clinton's administration was involved in a lot peace deals - Israel-Jordan, Oslo, Good Friday.  

This is true and it was a legitimate awarding of the prize considering the reality at the time  and the real consideration which was how close Israel and the Palestinians got to real peace 

Also you could negotiate with the PLO ....but now you have Hamas who are happy for Palestinians to die in the objective of " not recognizing Israel has a right to exist " ....a pointless ideological  view and just adds another hurdle to real compromise and discussion around a lasting peace solution for the region 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

15 minutes ago, Darkpriest said:

So, how is it really in Sweden? 

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/sweden-violence-extremely-serious

I've heard privately from some Swedes, especially women, that it's pretty bad, since the last immigration wave. 

I also would like to know what its like ?

John Milton 

I will never cease to be amused by reports on Novichok. Ten times more deadly than nerve gas, a teaspoon full could kill thousands, manages to kill precisely none of the people its been targeted at while getting detected both times. Then again officially Andrei Lugavoy was wandering around for days covered in Po210 after allegedly poisoning Litvenenko, which set a low bar for credibility and for credulous acritical reporting.

7 hours ago, Maedhros said:

I've always been of the opinion that we should form a "United States of Scandinavia". With somewhere in Norway as the capitol of course.

Surely, the capital would have to be Kalmar.

8 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

Why no sanctions on Turkey for genocide on Kurds?

There are sanctions on Turkey, for buying Russian S400 instead of the overpriced and underperforming Patriots that the US refused to sell them anyway though rather than for their campaign of ethnic cleansing, rape, kidnapping, murder etc in occupied Syria or the similar earlier campaign in Cyprus with a bit less nutbar cannibal child killer jihadi use but added colonisation instead.

7 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

Some could argue, that Ukraine as a soviet republic wa given Crimea during deep soviet era. Majority of demographics there was and is Russian, like it or not. There was also a large support for Russians there.

Given to Ukraine by Krushchev, a Ukrainian. Strangely enough the one decision by Stalin you will find westerners consistently defend is... Georgian Joe handing over Abkhazia and South Ossetia to Georgia.

And since it's come up yet again, Crimea has voted to leave Ukraine no less than three times and arguably 4 times. Firstly in 1991 Crimea voted to leave Ukraine (95% for) but got gazumped by the USSR breaking up. Secondly in 1994 they elected a pro secession government in another landslide, Ukraine sent in 70,000 troops and abolished Crimean autonomy by fiat next year after Crimea's parliament tried to implement its policies. They then wrote a no secession clause into their constitution. While the Crimeans were meant to get a new constitution voted on by them they never actually did, because they wouldn't approve what Ukriane offered and instead got a constitution imposed by the Rada.

Then after the coup in 2014- and if secession is illegal by the Ukrianian Constitution then so was that, just stating facts and logic- to remove the President Crimea overwhelmingly voted for they finally got to express their will and leave the country that had suppressed and crushed their aspirations for 22 years.

And it was all perfectly legal, thanks to the west's precedent setting invasion of Yugoslavia and unilateral separation of Kosovo from Serbia.

7 hours ago, Skarpen said:

Bit more democratic than the referendum declaring Kosovo's independence*, at least, and Crimea had the actual democratic processes of 1991 and 1994-5 to refer back to. They also declared independence then asked to join the RF, technically, because that was the legal way to do it.

*Hint: no referendum took place there, but that was OK because western project.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

15 hours ago, Skarpen said:

In Poland people would call the medical proffesionals and they would decide whether they need assistance from police and if such assistance arrive they are doing what the medical staff tells them, not trying to act on their own.

Well, in America the emergency line is the same for medical emergencies or police emergencies so it goes to the same place. Why the dispatch didn't mention that it was an autistic boy having an episode and not a crazed teenager with a weapon, we don't know.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

10 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Gorthfuscious aren't  you Danish and do you still speak Danish because you have lived throughout the world  and not necessarily where there are many Danish speaking people ?

Yes, I'm Danish. Still relatively fluent (if not perfect anymore) in the language ;)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

2 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Bit more democratic than the referendum declaring Kosovo's independence*, at least, and Crimea had the actual democratic processes of 1991 and 1994-5 to refer back to. They also declared independence then asked to join the RF, technically, because that was the legal way to do it.

*Hint: no referendum took place there, but that was OK because western project.

Which sort of rams home the hypocrisy of the west, they don't really give a flying **** about democracy, only the balance of power and bottom lines. If you're a *lucky* country outside the block, you goals aligns with the west and even the lowest creep of a dictator can get support. If not, even the most well meaning, idealist state/group run by democratic ideals are screwed.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

53 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Yes, I'm Danish. Still relatively fluent (if not perfect anymore) in the language ;)

That's ok, you sound delicious....Mhhh, danishes.

• Gasp! 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

2 minutes ago, Zoraptor said:

Fun (?) Fact (?)

Danish people don't call Danish Pastries 'Danishes'. They call them 'Viennas'. Same as New Zealanders don't call Kiwifruit 'Kiwis', we call them 'Chinese Gooseberries'.

Stop it, I can only get so hungry.

• Haha 2

village_idiot.gif

11 hours ago, Gorth said:

Scania is the part of Denmark that is currently occupied by Swedish troops...

Damn dirty lies, when the war was on the Scanians were like "The Swedes are coming! Help us Denmark!" and y'all were like "Oh, **** y...no, you guys hold them up! We're gathering our army!" and Scanians were like "Hell yeah bro! We'll hold them off!" 2 years later they were like "Yo! We're loosing!" and y'all like "We'll be there soon!" and then Scania lost, you celebrated behind their backs, and Swedes were like... "damn, these people are retarded, they can't even talk like humans! lets just... end their misery and try to make maybe some of them Swedes?" and they were like "Yo! Bro! We're rebelling against the Swedes!" and danes like "Yeah, we can't we're... hung over from all pilsner..." And Sweden was like "Yo Denmark, y'all can have Scania back if you give us back the art you stole from Älvsborgs fortress?" and Danes basically just like "Yeah... no... You can have it" And we were like FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU--

*Parts of this may or may not be fiction, reader discretion is adviced*

8 hours ago, Darkpriest said:

So, how is it really in Sweden? 

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/sweden-violence-extremely-serious

I've heard privately from some Swedes, especially women, that it's pretty bad, since the last immigration wave. 

There's a crime family in one part of Gothenburg that's really going bonkers with roadblocks and stuff, we have gang violence problems in some areas, because the government keeps putting people in Ghettos, so people don't want to assimilate and those who want to have a hard time.

The people I know and work with from those areas, men and women, aren't particularly worried.

3 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Surely, the capital would have to be Kalmar.

You have my vote! :p

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Isn't this true for all of y'all?`🤔

• Haha 3

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

8 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Isn't this true for all of y'all?`🤔

Hvis jeg nogensinde kommer til Danmark igen en dag, skal jeg nok invitere på dansk øl 

Edit: Of course, you would have to travel across øresund to get it 😛

Edit2: I actually had to google some danish web pages to cut and paste a few letters from the Danish alphabet. Javla Svenska! 😂

• Like 1