Insects attack behaviors vastly different now (aug update)

Is it just me or has everything got utterly flipped on its head now? So far from what I noticed is, if another prone to attacking insect procs a rival species, that rival instantly blames you and laser focuses on you. 

Case in point, the rake boulder. It was usually a war zone between bombadier, stink bug and wolf spiders.. If the wolf spider ran into the stink cloud, wolf spider would attack the bug, battle between the three bugs and the spider would ensue.. Now haha.

1 of 3 things happen, either NOTHING happens OR wolf spider freaks out and charges at you, even if your 70 ish cm away.. Umm what?

In 3 hours of trying to force the conflicts, ive managed to get 2 stink bugs to attack once.. One lost interest 5 seconds into the fight with the wolf. The other got massacred. Then the wolf spider killed the one that walked away and the other that was just sleeping the whole time..mind you the stink bugs did nothing to defend themselves.. 

I guess what I'm trying to get at is, one of my favorite moments of the game was watching the other insects interact and attack eachother.. or forcing a conflict between them. Now everything is rainbows and sunshine in the backyard..

I'm hoping that this is just my experience and others are finding everything to be normal still. 

1 hour ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

they updated the combat in todays' patch.  i havent' tried fighting a bug yet to see what the changes were.  i'll be doing that in about 20 minutes when i get off work.

Aye that they have! The wolfs are even more fun to go up against lol. Besides the above issues, first thing I truly noticed was soldier ants now go marching along with worker ants.. Ive seen 1 to 2 per group. And speaking of ants..YAY ant eggs.. Im actually finding ant eggs..

Oh and ladybugs, if they are not obstructed can dash at you from much further away now. And they wont stop until they hit something. 

Noticed the ladybug issue... My base is at the oak tree like everyone elses. as soon as I logged into the new update I had 5 ladybugs from outside my render vision make a B-line for my base and started attacking the paliside walls. Needless to say Im a ladybug melee expert now. 

They came into render view already aggro and ran strait to walls even when I wasnt inside 🤷‍♂️

Edited by JGerrish

13 hours ago, MIKEOAK said:

I been playing against the bombardier beetle it now feels like it's  just spraying and stopped the short range attacks  found one that just sprayed down  3 sprays in a row. No bite attack  

you're too far away then.  I killed 4 or 5 last night making the jerky rack, if you're close enough they attack like they did before patch - spray, a couple lunges, another spray, yada yada.

Xbox One X

I can confirm what he's saying mr. Nuggets, it has happened to me now a couple times. Further more it truly sucks when it happens, their col downs between shots go to a fraction of what they did. And then they get stuck in a loop of just spraying OR sniping. 

After playing around with it, It seems to be happening from pathing issues. There was an ant corpse between it and I, and instead of going around it kinda had a hiccup and proceeded to get stuck in the loop. Its a for sure bug/issue tho, not just with the beetles but all bugs. Getting hung up on an insect do to pathing issues. When the bug does not have ar ranged attack the just freeze. The others resort to shooting i.e beetles and orb.

21 hours ago, Rooks Nemesis said:

I can confirm what he's saying mr. Nuggets, it has happened to me now a couple times. Further more it truly sucks when it happens, their col downs between shots go to a fraction of what they did. And then they get stuck in a loop of just spraying OR sniping. 

After playing around with it, It seems to be happening from pathing issues. There was an ant corpse between it and I, and instead of going around it kinda had a hiccup and proceeded to get stuck in the loop. Its a for sure bug/issue tho, not just with the beetles but all bugs. Getting hung up on an insect do to pathing issues. When the bug does not have ar ranged attack the just freeze. The others resort to shooting i.e beetles and orb.

interesting.  i haven't seen that yet with the bombardiers, i'll take you guy's word for it.

I did notice

Spoiler

orb weavers are super easy to kill now.  so much easier to circle when they rear back and lunge.  I've only seen the orb weavers freeze near a web,  like they get stuck in their own web.  and they're only shooting one glob of web at me now instead of sitting back and launching a couple/few like before.

Ladybugs are tougher i think, and you can't use the weed exploit with them anymore, they circle around them now instead of get stuck under a leaf,  Tougher i think as they spin with you now, even when charging, so the old circle around them and club them doesn't work as easily.

Wolf spiders i still can't kill lol  multiple attacks in a row from them now, they're harder for me than before.

Ants i haven't bothered with yet.  i have numerous stacks of ant parts and mandibles from before the patch.  I've killed one worker since patch that was trying to steal stuff, couple swats with the mint mallet and he was dead so not sure if they attack differently

Lawn mites, have the infected ones always shot darts or whatever at you?  never noticed that before patch, did i just miss it?

Infected Weevils i still can't attack, was hoping they'd fix that this patch as i've had to drop the mission to kill them twice now.

That's all i can think of i've seen so far.

Edited by McSquirl Nugget
spoiler'd just in case.

Xbox One X

22 hours ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

interesting.  i haven't seen that yet with the bombardiers, i'll take you guy's word for it.

I did notice

Hide contents

orb weavers are super easy to kill now.  so much easier to circle when they rear back and lunge.  I've only seen the orb weavers freeze near a web,  like they get stuck in their own web.  and they're only shooting one glob of web at me now instead of sitting back and launching a couple/few like before.

Ladybugs are tougher i think, and you can't use the weed exploit with them anymore, they circle around them now instead of get stuck under a leaf,  Tougher i think as they spin with you now, even when charging, so the old circle around them and club them doesn't work as easily.

Wolf spiders i still can't kill lol  multiple attacks in a row from them now, they're harder for me than before.

Lawn mites, have the infected ones always shot darts or whatever at you?  never noticed that before patch, did i just miss it?

Infected Weevils i still can't attack, was hoping they'd fix that this patch as i've had to drop the mission to kill them twice now.

Lady bugs hit like trucks and spin like ballerinas now :) I truly like it, kitting and spinning around to win should NOT be the winning formula for everything. If anything they should get some kinda spin attack? Or Kinda like RDR when you get behind a angry horse.. You get kicked lol..

Wolf spiders are a whole new NIGHTMARE now, I like that they made them free roam and hunt again at night. I like the new move sets, I DESPISE the fact they can direct damage you right through a perfect block.. Seriously.. Infuriating..

Infected mites? Yes they have always shot those darts. Atleast I noticed it between hotfix and 26th update.

Infected weevils, DONT attack them in 3rd person.. Hit boxes on xbox are seriously screwed up.. Easiest way is to attack them with larva or fang dagger.. As long as you deal majority damage before they explode you get the tick towards completion it seems.. Or its im killing em out right using fang dagger and poison kills them..

The fang dagger tho is basically a joke at this point tho.. NOT worth the hassle of building it. It breaks FAST, its far worse then the larva blade.. And the poison damage is basically non existent after 1 proc.

On 8/29/2020 at 2:52 PM, Rooks Nemesis said:

Infected weevils, DONT attack them in 3rd person.. Hit boxes on xbox are seriously screwed up.. Easiest way is to attack them with larva or fang dagger.. As long as you deal majority damage before they explode you get the tick towards completion it seems.. Or its im killing em out right using fang dagger and poison kills them..

interesting.  i tried 3rd person for a bit in the beginning but i much prefer playing first person, you cna't hit them at all with any weapon in first person.  I haven't built the fang dagger yet,  i have the larvae dagger and so far haven't been disappointed in it, guessing the fang and larvae daggers are the same vs infected weevils.  in all the big bug fights it's helped kill them wit the poison.  But then my experience with it is limited as i just started using the larvae dagger after the 8/26 patch.  

On 8/29/2020 at 2:52 PM, Rooks Nemesis said:

kitting and spinning around to win should NOT be the winning formula for everything.

Unfortunately, except for lady bugs, and the glitch with the bombardier when it does nothing but spit boiling acid at you, circling and attacking is now the way to kill everything (except brood mother and queen, still haven't fought them yet so not sure about them).  i'm killing wolf spiders now, actually killing them more than they kill me since the patch, all from circling when they go to attack.  found they can still fall through the ground though :(  lost my fang since one died right as it reared back into a boulder near the pit by the oak tree.

Edited by McSquirl Nugget

Xbox One X