I have believed for a long time that Engwithians had become Gods after they created the Wheel and sacrificed a lot of souls to complete the ritual. However, after I played the Beast of Winter DLC, I am quite confused.

The Huana king Wingauro o Waturi I clearly mentioned in the dialogue that God had existed even before some Engwithians tricked him to build the Wheel, destroying Ukaizo. He even knew about Ondra.

If Gods had existed before the creation of the Wheel, how did they ascend to be Gods then ? And who are those Engwithians that had arrived on Ukaizo to trick the king ? I thought that all Engwithians had sacrifice themselves to create Gods. Did I misunderstand something ?

iirc, there were always some myths about the gods, tons of them - but no gods actually existed. when the engwithans created the gods, they fulfilled existing archetypes and then went on an inquisition making sure only their archetypes existed as a cohesive religion.

not all engwithans died to create the gods. otherwise, there would have been no engwithans left to conduct their inquisition to eliminate other belief systems. however, the mass casualties from creating the gods and the fact that the inquisitors were basically sworn to die in secrecy (i think something is mentioned like this by whats-her-face at the end of poe1) probably meant the civilization collapsed over a short period of time. edit - there's some specific additional lore about glanfathans and ondra crashing a moon into eora and what that meant for the engwithans, but i don't remember all the specifics.

the engwithans who arrive on ukaizo are the ones set to build the wheel and create the gods.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

It's been a while since I played that part of Beast of Winter, so maybe this is contradicted somewhere, but my understanding has always been that the Wheel was a parallel project to creating the gods (and it seems that making the gods durable required the Wheel, so it must have been constructed around the same time). The Engwithans who went to Ukaizo would be from the same generation that built Sun in Shadow and the other god creation centers, and they probably activated the Wheel at about the same time as the rituals to create the gods.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...