Avowed is a terrible name. A good name is 50% of the sale

Qazzi30

Pillars of creation doesn't really make any sense.  I mean... The pillars dont create anything.  Pillars of eternity is in regards to the endless cycle(I think... Maybe it's the gods being eternal?  Either way it makes sense).  What would pillars of creation mean.

Avowed is a fine name.  As I've said in another post, the title has a tyranny feel to it.  As oathbinder is avowed.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Theonlygarby said:

What would pillars of creation mean.

That Eora is located in the Serpens constellation.

image.thumb.jpeg.5c35da8d8bf7ec531ad6c1fcfe7300d2.jpeg

Edited by Undecaf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Avowed is an awesome name. It's short, phonetically pleasing and hints what the game's storyline is about (Woedica stuff) but is still mysterious. And it starts with an "A" which makes sure it always is among the first in the list - once that's sorted alphabetically. For example when people look up "list of Skyrim clones" on Wikipedia. ;)

Having no "Pillars" in it also makes sure there's not too much confusion whether the game is connected to PoE & Deadfire with more than the IP.

"Pillars of Creation" on the other hand sounds like the name of a homebrew D&D campaign or a self-pulished novel on Kindle. But it's not corny enough... yet. "Pillars of Creation: Oathbinder" - now that would give the perfect would-be huckster vibes. Nothing beats the pregnant colon.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Hmmm 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Mandrake:

Now look, Colonel... Bat Guano, if that really is your name, may I tell you that I have a very, very good idea, I think, I hope, I pray, what the recall code is. It's some sort of recurrent theme he kept repeating. It's a variation on Peace on Earth or Purity of Essence. E O P. O P E. It's one of those!

not every name can be, colonel bat guano. once we accept the futility o' matching such genius, it is perfect acceptable to choose instead a name which is inoffensive and simple and instead focus on far more important aspects o' game development... such as overseas marketing.

wasn't sure we were s'posed to take serious following the, "A good name is 50% of the sale," claim.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

37 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

I'm pretty surprised that native speakers don't know what "Avowed" means.

I mean didn't we have that Madonna hit "Take a Vow" in 1994? ;)

With the internet everyone should know what every word means.

Edited by Theonlygarby

55 minutes ago, Theonlygarby said:

With the internet everyone should know what every word means.

know v. know how to google the definition of a word 

not the same. lord knows we do not claim to know the definition o' every word.

is no shame in being ignorant. what is surprising is that given how easy the internet makes it to quickly dispel ignorance o' new words, functional vocabularies would appear to be shrinking rather than growing, at least as is represented to by national trends in scores from those standardized tests which is designed to do little more than reveal mundane knowledge. 

is also shocking to see so many misinterpret dictionary definitions.  

am suspecting many o' us have had an inigo montoya moment when perusing internet message boards. is more than a few people who appear convinced that dictionary definitions is kinda/sorta generalized suggestions. will have persons argue a word could mean something it does not 'cause o' their reading o' a dictionary entry is no less valid than professor bloom's or noah webster or...

kids these days.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 8/22/2020 at 10:52 AM, Boeroer said:

I'm pretty surprised that native speakers don't know what "Avowed" means.

Never underestimate the education system in the United States :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

On 8/22/2020 at 12:47 PM, Gromnir said:

know v. know how to google the definition of a word 

not the same. lord knows we do not claim to know the definition o' every word.

is no shame in being ignorant. what is surprising is that given how easy the internet makes it to quickly dispel ignorance o' new words, functional vocabularies would appear to be shrinking rather than growing, at least as is represented to by national trends in scores from those standardized tests which is designed to do little more than reveal mundane knowledge. 

is also shocking to see so many misinterpret dictionary definitions.  

am suspecting many o' us have had an inigo montoya moment when perusing internet message boards. is more than a few people who appear convinced that dictionary definitions is kinda/sorta generalized suggestions. will have persons argue a word could mean something it does not 'cause o' their reading o' a dictionary entry is no less valid than professor bloom's or noah webster or...

kids these days.

HA! Good Fun!

I dunno avowed is a pretty easy word to understand after reading the definition.  Some words sure, a dictionary night not help.   But most words (like avowed) just need a look up and you're good to go.

5 hours ago, Achilles said:

Never underestimate the education system in the United States :(

It's only great and top grade if you have the money for it.

But then again Ivy League schools do breed a lot of really questionable people so yeah I guess everything in America is basically Social Darwinist at this point.

ZOMG politics

I like the name 'Avowed', if Obsidian writers can craft a good name behind that premise then we're looking at a solid title here.

Edited by ComradeMaster

the topic were silly from the get go, so am not feeling guilty 'bout going all hic sunt dracones.

had a low opinion o' the US educational system right up until we taught university classes in spain and uk.  a little real world perspective went a long way towards dispelling our preconceptions.

were not so much our opinion o' US education improved once we taught and studied in europe, but we did realize the gap we imagined 'tween US and the world were based on a$$hat academics at US universities convincing us o' a "fact" which were in reality little more than a shared gross assumption. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 2:47 PM, Gromnir said:

...what is surprising is that given how easy the internet makes it to quickly dispel ignorance o' new words, functional vocabularies would appear to be shrinking rather than growing...

++Good eh?

"➕➕👍️" emoji translation; the new—newspeak. Is IS coming to pass after all. 

Edited by Gizmo