Weird, random, interesting - now with 100% less diacriticals

Amentep

On 10/2/2020 at 3:05 PM, Keyrock said:

On the off chance that humans are still around 4 billion years from now, we should have advanced far enough to where relocating elsewhere isn't much of an issue. We'll have plenty of warning, on the order of tens or hundreds of thousands of years. If we haven't advanced enough or simply choose to stay put then we deserve to boil like lobsters.

I have this alternate hypothesis that a sufficiently advanced civilization would know how to stir the helium ashes at the stellar core and extend the lifespan of their star by many billions of years. I've tried to conjecture how they might do it, and I suspect it would involve using enormous magnetic fields to generate a deep and powerful vortex at the stellar poles. Perhaps one day we'll spot some alien civilization manipulating their star in this way.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

well, the pictured cows is dairy cows. just as stinky. just as dumb. dairy cows tend to be less ornery 'cause is tougher to milk a hostile bovine even if is mechanical milking. clean a cow and then they smell more like wet grass than anything-- less smelly.

clean a cow wouldn't inspire us to embrace it. 

milk sometimes ends up as cheese. whole lotta varieties o' cheese which requires a cow to exist. minor quibble, but we would point out steaks and cheese. 

an alpaca? they is docile (typical) and fluffy, but perhaps not big enough to fit the requirements. 'course there is bigger alpacas.  have never hugged an alpaca, but we have given neck rubs to a few... am admitting the manner in which the critters lean into and respond to a neck rub with obvious appreciation brought a childish smile to our face.

alpacas do have vocalizations which may startle folks who ain't familiar with the critters.

HA! Good Fun!

Yup, the cows my mothers ex had was mainly dairy cows, they roamed their fields and went to the barn to get milked when they wanted to. Sometimes standing by the side of the barn and mooing to get our attention to let them in through THE GODDAMN WIDE OPEN BARN DOOR THAT THEY WALKED OUT OF HOURS EARLIER!!!

But yeah, they smelled and were covered in... "dirt". I've never been near a cow that's been shampooed, but I suppose that could be a sollution? Maybe some L'Oreal? 😄

I... don't think I've ever seen an alpaca that I can remember 🤔

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

33 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

I... don't think I've ever seen an alpaca that I can remember 🤔

not particular insightful alpaca info

australians make it more humorous somehow.

HA! Good Fun!

ps most notable attribute o' alpacas which is complete missed in the video is their "wool." alpacas shown were recent shorn. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

23 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

not particular insightful alpaca info

australians make it more humorous somehow.

HA! Good Fun!

Australia makes everything better, even Danes! 🤭

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

27 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

ps most notable attribute o' alpacas which is complete missed in the video is their "wool." alpacas shown were recent shorn. 

I actually checked if there are any alpacas near me, and there's a bloody farm with them that's less than 5kms away that I never knew of! That's my weekend saved, right there.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Animation of bridge construction - https://gfycat.com/bouncydistantblobfish

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

in Soviet Russia, firefighters use nukes to extinguish fires... (no kidding)

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Good to see that guy has videos on things that actually happened instead of Ancient Aliens tier bull**** 😛

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't know ... technically I guess it's a light saber. Yet...it has a way to go before it's like (or feels like?) the one in the movies.  :shifty:
Still amazing/cool, tho.

The earlier/longer project vid:

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Watching nature shows on TV can cure boredom, sadness

I agree 100%. I have Curiosity Stream and also on NetFlix there are many. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

A couple of days late for the reminder... (It was the 13th Oct)

121577934_3738662246165420_5786095868005

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

59 minutes ago, Raithe said:

A couple of days late for the reminder... (It was the 13th Oct)

121577934_3738662246165420_5786095868005

Didn't code in C, is therefore irrelevant.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Amentep said:

The Poison Book Project - apparently some old books used arsenic.

apologies as we didn't read the link, but we instant thought o' the book, the name of of the rose

were also a movie

kinda a terrible trailer, but can probable guess from our linking to your post and contents o' the trailer, the "killer" o' multiple monks were...

Spoiler

a book written with arsenic

will now read link.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://www.universal-sci.com/headlines/2018/9/with-usb-c-even-plugging-in-can-set-you-up-to-be-hacked

Plugging in the power – or at least what you think is power – to a USB-C powered laptop can connect your computer, and the valuable personal data on it, directly to hackers. Your personal financial information, passwords and documents stored on the laptop could help a cybercriminal steal your identity. The laptop may even be used to attack your employer’s computers and network.

The European Union is already moving to require all smartphones be compatible with USB-C power adapters – itself a move that endangers users’ privacy. If the EU made a similar standard for laptop computers, it would threaten to make the problem worse, by increasing the number of people vulnerable to what is basically the digital equivalent of pick-pocketing.

But some attackers are finding a weakness in phone charging. Many newer phones use the same port – one of several types of USB – for both connecting to a computer and charging. A charger could be modified to attack your phone via that trusted connection. This has led some researchers to recommend never using public USB chargers for your smartphone.

Older mobile phones, including some smartphones, that used power-only connections didn’t have to worry about this issue. Users of these devices can plug in to public multi-device charging stations without worry, as there is no connection to the device’s data. For those with combined data and power ports, however, the same port that many people only use to power their phone is commonly used by hackers and even law enforcement to access the data on it.

• Thanks 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Fan of Sci-Fi? Psychologists Have You in Their Sights

Psychology has often supported this dismissal of the genre. The most recent psychological accusation against science fiction is the “great fantasy migration hypothesis.” This supposes that the real world of unemployment and debt is too disappointing for a generation of entitled narcissists. They consequently migrate to a land of make-believe where they can live out their grandiose fantasies.

LOL I'd say that sounds more like gamers!

Psychology had very publicly diagnosed science fiction as a literature of evasion – an “escape hatch” for the mentally troubled.

Yeah you nerds. Why don't you self medicate with alcohol and drugs like everyone else? LOL!

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell