Weird, random, interesting - now with 100% less diacriticals

Amentep

Confederate Constitution is 160 years old

most of you guys know this because I have frequently opined on the subject but the US Civil War has always captured my interest. Particularly the misunderstandings that are so commonly held about it. But for the folks out there who still argue that  “it wasn’t about slavery”  should probably read the CSAs founding document and get back to the rest of us on that one.

EDIT: OK let me correct that. The WAR strictly speaking was not about slavery it was about secession. Secession was definitely about slavery. 

Edited by Guard Dog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

When one of the top men says stuff like 

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. "

It sort of makes it clear.  Also funny when you see the walking corpse Stephens appears to be in photos 😛

But then again, that Lost Cause crap is easy to fall for.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 minutes ago, Malcador said:

When one of the top men says stuff like 

It sort of makes it clear.  Also funny when you see the walking corpse Stephens appears to be in photos 😛

But then again, that Lost Cause crap is easy to fall for.

It has an appeal because most of the people who believe in it are decent people. They don’t want to think that their ancestors were not decent people. A hard truth is sometimes hard to face. The Lost Cause is just a lie people tell themselves to make the hard truth more palatable. 

obviously it’s overgeneralizing to say that the people of the CSA were all indecent. It’s also not exactly true to suggest that the Confederate soldier was fighting to keep people as chattel. But that’s a long discussion that’s been had before.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

4 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

It has an appeal because most of the people who believe in it are decent people. They don’t want to think that their ancestors were not decent people. A hard truth is sometimes hard to face. The Lost Cause is just a lie people tell themselves to make the hard truth more palatable. 

obviously it’s overgeneralizing to say that the people of the CSA were all indecent. It’s also not exactly true to suggest that the Confederate soldier was fighting to keep people as chattel. But that’s a long discussion that’s been had before.

Well, I guess it depends on how far into denial they go, after some point whitewashing the CSA starts to belie that.  

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just now, Malcador said:

Well, I guess it depends on how far into denial they go, after some point whitewashing the CSA starts to belie that.  

Agreed 

Thomas Sowell

Is a New Zealander doing this, people assumed it was an American - which is odd as no firearms involved.

• Gorth locked this topic

New thread here:

:closed:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein